Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times

Advertisements

I am in Atlanta, GA--no shortage of attorneys of all kinds here.

I know I could go to the local bar association and be charged a fee for an initial consultation, etc. I have done that before and would prefer to find a skilled and reputable attorney who specializes in representing those applying for SSI/supplemental health insurance--Medicaid/Medicare/Disability, etc.

This is the second time I have been declined and as I understand the process it will require legal representation to appeal the decision--a poorly made decision I might add.

My health issues include --Diabetes Type 2, job/stress related illnesses--high blood pressure/cholesterol and associated skin problems. I was teaching in the inner city and when a student had the honor council to support her claim that I pushed her down the steps I lost my job/had signed a contract for the next year and all benefits. I was devastated--diagnosed with 'Anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress'. Broad labels and I believe the adjudicators at the Social Security Administration are reluctant to approve this sort of claim--nonetheless I have had significant work related problems since this incident. Of course, I can no longer teach--the job for which I am trained and in which I had almost 2 decades of exemplary experience. Recognized as an innovative teacher and never received anythig but Satisfactory evaluations until I was transferred to a middle school to replace a teacher who could not handle the challenges which these 5 classes of 6th graders presented. I believe this sort of challenge is best handled by the Marines--but that is beside the point. The students were beyond reasonable control--the 'Taste of Blood' was fresh in their mouths when I arrived.

The stress of the 8 months in this position depleted my immune system and consequently left me very physically ill as well as devastated.

A year after this event I had a crisis episode on the anniversary and sought further assistance from the local mental health department.

I never really got what I needed--not much to get in the way of mental health services in Georgia---the poor condition/quality of mental health services in this state has made headline news.

The incident occurred in 1991--I have held assorted temporary, part-time positions since then but frankly often feared being accused by customers, coworkers or supervisors and could never really present myself well at interviews for permanent positions.

Then in 2002--I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 and the experience of trying to obtain medical care for this serious illness without health insurance was horrible, shameful that anyone should have to do without basic health care. When the right medication was identified--it is not expensive--Metformin and it has controlled the Diabetes. Finding a doctor to properly diagnose my health needs was absurdly difficult--but I found one and now seem to be in 'Good Health'---according to the Social Security Administration.

I am not in Good Health--not in danger any longer but I need assistance and I need a really good attorney that can cut through the bureacratic BS. I was ill and am now better. I used all of my savings to live, search for jobs and then had to be helped financially by my Mother--on a small fixed income. I should have applied much sooner and I should receive assistance now.

I will be 60 this September--I feel that I lost the last decade--because a school system allowed a child to lie. My health was most certainly damaged--physically, emotionally and mentally. I tried to put my life back together but it was a shattering experience which doesn't seem to be apparent to the adjudicators assigned to my case--2nd time I have applied. I get The Picture pretty clearly and somebody needs to defend me against my government.

If you have recommendations please DM/email me with specific names. I prefer not to discuss this much further online.

People have said--'That was terrible, I don't think I could be a teacher and all of that.' I was a good teacher, dedicated and willing to try to do what had not been done for inner city adolescents. I still wish I could have done what was needed--you do not cure the evil effects of racism and poverty when students have not been served by a school system when they begin middle school. I now know that--no longer 'Blame' myself--and that took some effort. Teachers are held Accountable and Hold Themselves Accountable--when students do not progress, the professional teachers first look at their own methods and try to make adaptations. In this case--there was not much that anyone could have done---students/parents/administrators were very negative from the day I started at this middle school. When you are 'Fired' --it always sounds like there was a good reason for your failure to others I have noticed. Believe what you will. I have Criterion Reference Test Scores above the 90th percentile in all curricular areas. I had proven myself to be an excellent teacher. M.Ed and extensive coursework in Remedial Language Arts--which is why I was told I was needed by this group of students.

Never again will I allow any JOB to jeopardize my health in any way. I should have left at the end of the first quarter and let someone else handle this 'Mission from God' as one administrator called my teaching assignment.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TakeAhike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Most lawyers will not take a client until you apply for a hearing. At that time the SS will give you a paper for the lawyer & if you ask a list of lawyers in your area. Good luck...wait list is longggg [my son has been waiting just for the court date for over a year!!]

Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,569 times
I know its tuff.I just recived my Notice of Decision-Fully Favorable.After a 2 1/2 fight with an attorney.You have to do a lot of the leg work to get it done.Don't wait for an attorney to do it for you.The Social Security Administration has established a five-step sequential evaluation process.Ref.(20CFR 404.1520(a)).I had 6 Doctor letters that stated I was NOT to return to work,was unable,ect.And at the appeal hearing the Judge,told me I still might not have enough.So Get copies of all doctor reports,meds records,daily log of how you fell and handle the day.One of the major things they look at is can you take care of your self alone.Can you bathe youself ?.I know its tuff to be hurting and not feeling well.And then have all the worries and trouble just trying to deal with the SSI/SSD issues.One of the hardest thigs to deal with is when someone says to you that you are looking good or looks like your feeling better.When inside you are screaming for help.You just want it to stop.At times death looks comforting.If you don't pray start.Not for getting the SSI/SSD.But for you self to make it one day at a time.There are many many others outthere who are also hurtingJust use you good days to get all you info together and push.Study the SSD home page lots of info there.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most lawyers will not take a client until you apply for a hearing. At that time the SS will give you a paper for the lawyer & if you ask a list of lawyers in your area. Good luck...wait list is longggg [my son has been waiting just for the court date for over a year!!]
This has been going on for 4 years. This is my second time to be 'Declined'. They sent a name of an attorney a month ago--I am not certain I want to use 'Their' attorneys. I know very little about this but I want 'A PitBull' of an attorney defending me --against 'The Government', I guess.

TakeAhike

Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
I know its tuff.I just recived my Notice of Decision-Fully Favorable.After a 2 1/2 fight with an attorney.You have to do a lot of the leg work to get it done.Don't wait for an attorney to do it for you.The Social Security Administration has established a five-step sequential evaluation process.Ref.(20CFR 404.1520(a)).I had 6 Doctor letters that stated I was NOT to return to work,was unable,ect.And at the appeal hearing the Judge,told me I still might not have enough.So Get copies of all doctor reports,meds records,daily log of how you fell and handle the day.One of the major things they look at is can you take care of your self alone.Can you bathe youself ?.I know its tuff to be hurting and not feeling well.And then have all the worries and trouble just trying to deal with the SSI/SSD issues.One of the hardest thigs to deal with is when someone says to you that you are looking good or looks like your feeling better.When inside you are screaming for help.You just want it to stop.At times death looks comforting.If you don't pray start.Not for getting the SSI/SSD.But for you self to make it one day at a time.There are many many others outthere who are also hurtingJust use you good days to get all you info together and push.Study the SSD home page lots of info there.
So true. Thanks to good medical care at Emory--I now have some measure of health back. The process of achieving this is the stuff Lifetime movies are made of. I will be much more 'Forceful' in preparing a detailed timeline of the events from May '91 when I was 'Asked to Resign' and Aug '08. Seeing an effective therapist now and his evaluation may shed some light on the grotesque Incompetence of the local mental health system and an HMO. I filed complaints against both. I guess I can include those, too.

I expect it to be a grueling challenge--LOL, born on 911--a Saturday, 'Saturday's child works hard for a living', etc. After 59 years of very hard work I shouldn't be surprised at the way my life unfolds. I am tired though and sometimes this 'S' is Too Much. I was a good teacher, in a bad, bad situation and then returned to Atlanta to hear Neal Boortz and 'Conservatives' yowl about 'Government Schools' and 'The Incompetence of Teachers/Vile Liberals/Poisoning the young minds'---that really added to my 'problems'. I can tell you that and so can my Primary Care physician who now has a different perspective on my personality and my problems. Read the notations from 'the other doctors' and was convinced I was profoundly 'Bipolar'--that has been ruled out for all time.

I was an English teacher and I do have writer-like characteristics--many jump to the conclusion that can only mean 'Bipolar Disorder'. LOL--my cousin is a scientist--and my doctor knows her--finally he could see another side of me. A happy coincidence but I will take what I can get from 'Fickle Fate'.

TakeAhike

Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 AM

IF they gave you a lawyer then use it. The Lawyer is in your ball park not theirs. He will not get paid unless you win...& when you do win they pay him not you.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
IF they gave you a lawyer then use it. The Lawyer is in your ball park not theirs. He will not get paid unless you win...& when you do win they pay him not you.

I wish I could be so trusting. I contacted him and left a message, phone number--he has not returned my call. That seems a bit off.

I will contact him again but I really think the lesson I am learning is 'Do It for Yourself'--not sure that the SSA gives a flying fig about me and why should an attorney who is connected to them?

Perhaps I am too cynical--this has been going on for 4 years and I have an 87 year old mother in hysterics 24/7. Financial strain is incredible and 'Somebody' at Social Security has not really investigated my case properly, imo. 'Administrators'--they know The Rules and seem to get a thrill out of finding ways to say 'No'. Such has been my experience.

TakeAhike

Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM

I hate to tell you but with the courts backed up the way they are ...you might be better off waiting & taking retirement. NO Red Tape.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I hate to tell you but with the courts backed up the way they are ...you might be better off waiting & taking retirement. NO Red Tape.
Katie, I lost my job, all benefits and spent my retirement money trying to 'Get Back to Work'.

I think I'll just stop talking about this now.

I can look in the phone, Google and do whatever locally. I don't like to broadcast my business to neighbors or people I don't know well. There is an attorney in this city that can do what is needed, I am confident. The better ones are usually found through 'friends' and without a job I have narrowed my circle of contacts down severely. I need to rebuild my life in all areas and I need the health insurance that is available.

TakeAhike

Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Yep they want you flat broke & homeless [or living with someone] before they consider you needing SSI or SSD. Try the lawyer they recomended...it free so if you dont like him/her you can look for someone on your own. But any lawyer you hire they already know. Oh Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness