Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times

Advertisements

You all have heard about drinking 8 + glasses of water per day so my question is, does this mean water or does it also mean other liquids such as juice, tea or whatever? (Whatever meaning 'hydrating' liquids)
I recently started drinking an extra liter bottle of water daily and have wondered if it matters what one drinks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You all have heard about drinking 8 + glasses of water per day so my question is, does this mean water or does it also mean other liquids such as juice, tea or whatever? (Whatever meaning 'hydrating' liquids)
I recently started drinking an extra liter bottle of water daily and have wondered if it matters what one drinks.
water = universal solvent
it's neutral.
tea and juice are already activated.
they already have a purpose whereas water will cleanse as well as hydrate.
it's not already full of "stuff" .. it's a solvent.
it's meant to become "full" with wastes, excess, etc.
does that make sense?
i asked a friend of mine about this and this is what i remember him saying.
anyway, just keep drinking water regardless of whether or not you also drink tea and juice.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks Rubyskye.
I'm trying to drink more and stay hydrated and didn't know if it made a difference or not.
You make sense.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rubyskye.
I'm trying to drink more and stay hydrated and didn't know if it made a difference or not.
You make sense.
Your welcome. Juice is great and good teas are great but there is nothing better than water to hydrate and cleanse.
My brother (super jock) told me a long time ago that once you're feeling thirsty, you're already somewhat (if only slightly) dehydrated.
So, generally speaking, i don't let myself get thirsty.
I wake up in the morning and drink close to a liter and keep drinking on a regular basis all day and then stop around 7 in the evening so i'm not up peeing all night.
And it's best to drink water at room temperature as opposed to drinking chilled water.
In the winter when it's colder i often drink hot water. It's very therapeutic and when the weather is cooler i don't want to chill my body.
And geesh, i see you live in New Mexico. You better be drinking water and lots of it!
I've lived in some dry places but i lived in N.M. for a year and man ... i love the desert and i love New Mexico but it's soooooo dry. My belly was flaking it was so dry.
I think at times of returning to N.M. but the dry heat just slays me.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM

I've been drinking very cold water and don't like it that way. I prefer room temp but was told to make it cold. I'll change it now though.
I've lived in NM for only a month now and it is pretty dry which makes me want to drink more but my problem was my skin changes at first. I'm used to it now and my skin has changed for the better. I went from a very humid Texas to a dry NM. I'm sure drinking more has helped too.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
I've been drinking very cold water and don't like it that way. I prefer room temp but was told to make it cold. I'll change it now though.
I've lived in NM for only a month now and it is pretty dry which makes me want to drink more but my problem was my skin changes at first. I'm used to it now and my skin has changed for the better. I went from a very humid Texas to a dry NM. I'm sure drinking more has helped too.
I also don't like very cold water. Actually we are not meant to drink an icy water anyway. It's much more preferable to drink room temp water, although not many people like it.

Water will hydrate you better then any other fluids, its not filled with sugar as juices. Black Tea has caffeine in it and actually dehydrating.

Also, if you don't like the taste of plain water, you can try coconut water. It is filled with electrolytes and great for hydration.

There are many opinions on how much water one should drink. Some people say that there is never "too much water". I tend to disagree. I don't think we are meant to drink tons of water, it messes with your electrolytes. I am a small petite girl, there is no way I can make myself drink 8 glasses of water a day, unless it's very hot outside. I also don't think we should be "forcing" ourselves to drink water.

I think when a person wakes up in the morning, he is already dehydrated. It's a good idea to drink water once you wake up. It's NOT good to drink water with food. We should be drinking water about an hour before and after the meals.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Cold water burns more calories. I can't drink it cold.

I drink (or I try very hard to drink) 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water every day. (i.e. if you weigh 100 pounds drink 50 ounces of water) I lost a bunch of weight doing this. I also sleep better. I used to be a Pepsi junkie.

Coffee or tea, decaf and with so sugar or cream added are also o.k., but only o.k. Water is better. If you make your own juice it is better than pre-bottled. Fruits & veggies that people are inclined to make juice out of are sugar heavy, but natural fructose is way better for you than the sucrose in juice. I have a nice juice extractor and this time of year I seem to want to drink carrot juice and pear juice.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Cold water burns more calories. I can't drink it cold.

I drink (or I try very hard to drink) 1/2 of my body weight in ounces of water every day. (i.e. if you weigh 100 pounds drink 50 ounces of water) I lost a bunch of weight doing this. I also sleep better. I used to be a Pepsi junkie.

Coffee or tea, decaf and with so sugar or cream added are also o.k., but only o.k. Water is better. If you make your own juice it is better than pre-bottled. Fruits & veggies that people are inclined to make juice out of are sugar heavy, but natural fructose is way better for you than the sucrose in juice. I have a nice juice extractor and this time of year I seem to want to drink carrot juice and pear juice.
Cold water burns more calories? You sure about that?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 AM

That's what I've been told too and that's why I've been drinking cold water even though I prefer room temperature.
I was told that drinking cold water caused the body to burn more calories.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
That's what I've been told too and that's why I've been drinking cold water even though I prefer room temperature.
I was told that drinking cold water caused the body to burn more calories.

Yes, I have been told that too from 2 different Doctors. Also Jenny Craig told me the same thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness