Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Lets assume that most people are interested in obtaining and maintaining healthier lives. What companies, industries, organizations, etc. have an interest in people achieving that and which would not? Also, why would they or wouldn't they?

Last edited by florida.bob; 09-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Industries where "looks matter" would have an interest. All others, to a certain degree I don't think companies care. At least not outwardly unless it's starting programs like smoking cessation, fitness programs etc.

I don't think I'm understanding your question though.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 AM

I think you got the gist of it, looks matter to many companies. I am trying to get an idea of what would motivate the companies, etc. Financial gain, good/bad intentions, etc. For example, I think Taco Bell Corp would like their employees to be healthier, more productivity, less missed work ... but they may not be in favor of you and me striving to be healthy, because that would mean we wouldn't go eat there. This type of answer is what I'm looking for.

Last edited by florida.bob; 09-21-2008 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 AM

So you mean from a marketing standpoint? Like, what companies would market a "healthy lifestyle" to the consumer? Or from an employee standpoint? Like, what kinds of investments would companies make so their employees live healthier?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 AM

Basically from a bottom line standpoint with companies. Like General Motors, there would be bottom line value of having a healthy workforce and I don't see where they would gain if not. A Health Ins company. My first thought is that it would be good for them if their customers made fewer claims, but is that really true? Is the premium price formula something like this: Profit = (premiums - costs) + profit %.
They would try to keep premiums equal to cost and the profit is a percentage of that. So if the (cost -premium) number increases, so does the profit. I'm just saying look at a company or industry, and think thru what would make sense.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 AM

I see your point. Maybe someone in the insurance biz can enlighten the conversation because honestly I would just be speculating. The "bottom line" is essentially (as you similary stated):

Revenue - expenses = Gross profit

Patients making claims obviously is a cost (expense) to the insurance company so yes, there would be an incentive for large corporations to have "healthy employees". How premiums are calculated is where an "insider" can help this conversation! My guess is, insurance companies would want their customers to be as healthy as possible because it lowers their expenses. They will get premiums regardless if they have a "healthy or sick" customer but they will definitely incur costs if they have a "sick customer".

Let's look at an example. Employee A and employee B work for Company W. Employee A has been healthy his whole life and let's say the insurance company makes $100,000 profit from Employee A before he dies from a sudden heart attack/car crash/whatever.

Now let's look at Employee B. Same exact circumstances except Employee B is morbidly obese. From the insurance perspective, they make $100,000 off of Employee B but the insurance company incurred $10,000 in medical expenses to fight his obesity. That brings profitability down to $90,000. However, to try and "make up" the expense, they charge Company W $5,000 extra in premiums. Company W has to pay more for Employee B and the insurance company is still out $5,000. It would've been beneficial for both the insurance company and Company W to get employee B healthy as long as there is a cost-benefit.

You can change the scenario to make it look beneficial for any situation, of course, but that's my "ball park" answer for you!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:19 AM

That's exactly the kind of response I am looking for. I think there are many people on this forum that can help all of us gain some understanding thru their thoughts. Whether we agree with them or not. Thinking, never hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness