Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times

Advertisements

Ok, last night I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air!
I couldn't breathe out of my nose OR mouth! I had to force myself to suck in REAL HARD to get air in, then I had to cough to get air back out! I also had a sour taste and burning in my throat. I was finally able to breathe normally after a minute or two, but the burning was still there for quite a while.
I don't know if to think this is acid reflux (as I have never heard of it causing trouble breathing) or sleep apnea or something else?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? This really scared me! I almost don't want to go to bed tonight because of it!

Thanks to anyone with any advice or input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
I've had this happen too and not just at night. Sometimes it happens just walking or sitting. It feels like the epiglottis has collapsed or something. My doctor said it was acid reflux but I doubt it. I am on Nexium and I've found incidences of this have been greatly reduced but not entirely gone away.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
I don't want to practice medicine here, kawg! This is my disclaimer: Consult your doctor. But having said that, it does sound like acid reflux to me. I have that issue so I'm kinda familiar with it. Sometimes it creates symptoms you wouldn't think about. When I was first diagnosed with it, it was because I felt a persistent lump in my throat. The breathing issue I have not experienced though. I also take Nexium. My doctor also recommended that I take Mylanta right before bed. Don't eat for 2 or 3 hours before laying down either.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I live with acid reflux. Here are a few tips.

Don't eat within 2 hours of going to bed.

Drink plenty of water.

Eat papaya. There is an enzyme in papaya that will help A LOT. If you don't care for fresh you can usually find dried at a health food store. I am pretty sure that you can also buy it in pill form.

I also tried Nexium and did not have much luck with it. I had better luck with Pepcid. If I need to I take 2 in the morning and 2 at bed time.

Figure out what foods affect you the most and try to avoid them. For me it is red sauces, onions, red meat (which I refuse to give up), eggs, and caffeine.

Stress also is a trigger. My reflux got much better when I left my office job behind.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Wow, I appreciate all of your responses!

I guess the problem I am finding, is that upon researching them both, I do not have the other symptoms that go with either one .
I rarely, if ever, have heartburn at anytime of the day or night, no matter what I eat...heartburn has just never been an issue with me.
Everything I read was talking about lying on your back and these things happening, but I was lying on my side at the time. I jumped up out of bed, frantically, because I could not breathe! When I did this, I realized my throat was burning. I kind of felt like there was something in there obstructing my air passages, but I couldn't get anything out.
This happened to me two other times in the past, but I only had the sour taste/burning throat, never have I EVER not been able to breathe!

Thanks for your comments! Maybe I will just go get some antacid (Pepcid or Prilosec) and take it before bedtime or something

Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
For some people with a slight asthmatic condition, acid reflux can trigger an allergic reaction in the bronchial tubes. This would give you the difficulty breathing that you describe. I would guess that it's possible that even though you have never had asthma, that the spasms could still occur.

Have you elevated the head of your bed? This may help if you continue to have problems.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:20 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,234 times
The breathing restriction though isn't in the lungs. Your lungs feel fine, it's just trying to get the air passed the blockage in the windpipe. When it happens to me I can hear the air trying to get passed the blockage.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Wow, I appreciate all of your responses!

I guess the problem I am finding, is that upon researching them both, I do not have the other symptoms that go with either one .
I rarely, if ever, have heartburn at anytime of the day or night, no matter what I eat...heartburn has just never been an issue with me.
Everything I read was talking about lying on your back and these things happening, but I was lying on my side at the time. I jumped up out of bed, frantically, because I could not breathe! When I did this, I realized my throat was burning. I kind of felt like there was something in there obstructing my air passages, but I couldn't get anything out.
This happened to me two other times in the past, but I only had the sour taste/burning throat, never have I EVER not been able to breathe!

Thanks for your comments! Maybe I will just go get some antacid (Pepcid or Prilosec) and take it before bedtime or something
The sour taste with the burning throat is most likely acid reflux. It would only occur if you ate food within 3 hours of bedtime. If that's not the case, i definitely would see the doctor. It could be something worse.
Also, like another posted mentioned, elevating the head of the bed a few inches should help. I've been doing that for years. I bought a couple of foam incline cushions at Sears, and we elevate the head of our bed with it. The cushions are 6 inches high on one end, and they slope downwards to flat. They work really well, and also if you have a snorer in your home that sleeps with you, it will block that 95% of the time.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it. I really can't remember if I ate before I went to bed or not, but I am really making sure I do not eat before bedtime anymore! I don't ever want this to happen again

I will do my best to take everyone's advice!

Thanks again!

It is so nice to be able to come on here and ask a question about something (pretty much ANYTHING) and have such a wonderful network of people at your fingertips so willing to help another

Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 272,358 times
I have had acid reflux since I was 18 and I am 33 now. 2 Years ago I developed Crohn's Disease. I changed my diet from Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and other bad foods to eating Mostly Organic Foods like Salads, other Fruits and Vegetables, Organic Chicken, Raw Milk (I mean really raw), Raw Cheese, and other all natural or organic foods.

A few things that helped me with the acid were...

Not eating after 6pm

Eat the aboved diet or close to it

Red Meat is very bad (I cant eat ANY now)

Elevate your head when you sleep helps but you dont need to do this if you are eating right and not eating after 6pm.

Stress WILL make it worse

If you happen to eat the wrong foods or eat too late and you need something to push it down...I USE Acid Defense from THE MAKERS DIET

The makers diet saved my life instead of having to get surgery..Yeah, 2 years ago I laughed at this helping me but the doctors could not help me so I tried changing my diet like this and it worked!

There is also a drink called GT's Kombucha. It is very acidic but it will help you digest everything you eat!

I hope this can help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness