Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,772 times

Advertisements

Not that I was diagnosed with this, I feel like part of my panic disorder is because of it, or something similar to it. For the past few years I've had this fear of death, not really fear of dying but fear of getting sick with something that will kill me. I try to tell myself different or just be okay with the fact we are all dying really, but every little pop, crack, pulsation, headache, muscle ache, bruise etc leads me to think something is wrong. It's really hard to put into words but hopefully someone gets what im saying.

Im wondering how many others have the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

P.S Im 26 years old and thinking about this stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
My daughter is like you---anything out of the ordinary, and she's on the computer, self-diagnosing! Her doctor finally told her to stay off the internet health sites!!!

You may need to talk to a professional...you're NOT crazy, but you do have an "obsession" with yourself! You can turn this around and realize that you don't have to live with this constant fear!

If this "panic disorder" is taking the place of good times in your life, you really need to do something about it. It IS treatable!!!!! Good luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Yes, I have these tendencies as well! Last night we had extra covers on our bed and my two children had both snuck in on either side of me. WHen I woke up in the middle of hte night, I was all sweaty. Now, logically I know that it was because of the extra blankets and my little heat producing children pressed against me, but I was in a panic thinking that I was having night sweats, which are a sign of cancer.... headaches have me thinking I have a brain tumor, swollen glands indicate lymphoma, a cough means lung cancer (even though I've never smoked one cigarette), etc.

I know what you mean. Talking to a non-hypochondriac friend often helps. Googling does NOT help. Being busy in activities and using relaxing techniques also helps.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,772 times
Thanks, I am seeing a therapist and taking medication. It's getting better but todays ailment is a sore ankle. I actually had a mild panic attack this morning getting ready for work because I felt pulsations around my ankle up my leg. I hate how it controls my everyday life, i've found it easier to keep the thoughts to myself, before I was telling everyone at work and now no one believes me even when im sick.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Yes, I have these tendencies as well! Last night we had extra covers on our bed and my two children had both snuck in on either side of me. WHen I woke up in the middle of hte night, I was all sweaty. Now, logically I know that it was because of the extra blankets and my little heat producing children pressed against me, but I was in a panic thinking that I was having night sweats, which are a sign of cancer.... headaches have me thinking I have a brain tumor, swollen glands indicate lymphoma, a cough means lung cancer (even though I've never smoked one cigarette), etc.

I know what you mean. Talking to a non-hypochondriac friend often helps. Googling does NOT help. Being busy in activities and using relaxing techniques also helps.
I know just how you feel. I have similar thoughts, even though I'm super healthy, I eat organic, I exercise, etc., I still get wierded out with every little ache or pain. I do a lot of deep breathing and have a 'calming phrase' I use: "I'm healthy and strong". Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness