Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with R.A. about a year ago. I lived in Wisconsin than. Cold damp weather. I now live in Las Vegas Nevada. Does anyone out there know if the warm/dry weather will have a positive effect on my symptons???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Location: Currently:Cleveland...can't wait to be back in Missouri! :)
24 posts, read 187,876 times
My had mother had RA. (she has since passed) She was diagnosed in the early 1960's when it was not as advanced with info as it is now.
I do recall her saying that she read about the AZ climate and that it was a favorable climate for people with RA.
Wading in a swimming pool/lake always did wonders for her joint pain. As well as a sauna with steam heat.
Another thing that helped was a parrafin wax soak. It was for feet/hands. The moist heat from the wax really helped the severe pain she experienced.

I do hope you find that your move and the new climate brings you relief!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
What works wonders for people with RA is a vegetarian diet. Its mainly the dairy that wreaks havoc on the body.
but then you can also take meds for life.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 70,759 times
Wink Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have had this disease for 25 years. I am not convinced that weather has anything to do with my arthritis. I live in NY. Keep moving is the key to this debilating disease. Exercise lightly dont over due. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
What works wonders for people with RA is a vegetarian diet. Its mainly the dairy that wreaks havoc on the body.
but then you can also take meds for life.

Is there some data that backs up the statement about dairy and going vegetarian? I know/have known people who are very seriously debilitated by this disease and would be anxious to read about studies of this kind helping. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I think some doctors are using fish oil and DHEA for their RA patients.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 AM

5 posts, read 26,081 times
Maybe this disease is due to weather changing. My mother went to India for about two months and when she came back, she had had rheumatoid arthritis. She has been taking cataflam to treat her arthritis and it came out to be effective. She has not been on any vegetarian diet.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I read yrs ago that shark cartlidge was good for arthritis?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizon View Post
Maybe this disease is due to weather changing. My mother went to India for about two months and when she came back, she had had rheumatoid arthritis. She has been taking cataflam to treat her arthritis and it came out to be effective. She has not been on any vegetarian diet.
Everyone is different. Maybe your mom changed her diet in India and didn't eat much meat or dairy.

I know a guy that has Rhematoid arthritis and he only eats fast food. When he doesn't get his fast food fix, his symptoms ease up. He'd rather take his daily cocktail of pills he says then to radically alter his diet. To each their own.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Is there some data that backs up the statement about dairy and going vegetarian? I know/have known people who are very seriously debilitated by this disease and would be anxious to read about studies of this kind helping. Thanks.
If these people are suffering so much they CERTAINLY, don't have anything to lose (and they have EVERYTHING TO GAIN) by cutting certain things out of their diets. Why do they need to look at studies? Why don't they just completely cut out dairy and wheat and sugar which are the culprits of all chronic and degenerative health problems--- and after two or three weeks,
gradually add in one of the food groups and see if they have a set back?

I can tell you right off the bat that whatever foods they LOVE and CRAVE are the ones they need to COMPLETELY cut out for a minimum of three - four months. This is what any experienced naturopathic doctor would tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness