Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,929 times

Advertisements

I'm 18, and my brother is 21, his hair is starting to thin out dramatically. However, both of our parents in their late 40s have very thick full heads of hair still, and so do i. The fact he is starting to bald makes me worry greatly I will start to bald prematurely too, even though this doesn't seem to be a common trend in the family at all.

When I run my hands through my hair over a white sheet of paper nothing really seems to fall out, but if I gently pull a couple strands come out, sometimes none, but usually a few. Is it normal for a few to come out?!?!?!

Paranoia sucks, please be logical FOR me!!!! Do I sound like I'm balding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Of course it's normal for hair to fall out--it does it every day, whether you pull on it or not. What are (or were) your grandparents heads of hair like?

There's not alot you can do for it--you can use that shampoo..(I forget the name)--it's FDA approved for male-pattern baldness. Other than that, there's nothing you can do. Rest assured that men with weirdly shaped heads DO NOT go bald! And women really don't care about a man's hair! That's a fact! If you are nice, and clean, and (egads) bald,....women will still find you attractive!
Stop worrying and pulling your hair out!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
You might want to look into Saw Palmetto as it helps to block DHT which is the main hormone that causes hairloss in men from what i've read.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 90,221 times
Default hair

I am a hairstylist for 20 years, & sold beauty supplies to salons in the past. I had sold many different products that claimed to grow hair back, however had NEVER really seen it happen. My husband started with a balding patch in the back & started progressively thinning all over. He did some research online & found a product he wanted to try. He started using Avacor & can't believe it, but it actually grew hair back. I don't know if it will work for everyone, however it has really worked for him. He is faithful to all the products, as I believe they all really work together to get the best results. It seems expensive when you first purchase it, but if you break it down monthly it isn't that bad. If you are really worried, you might give it a shot! Just a suggestion.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
its genetic and if your gonna lose it not much you can do. Your not losing it anyway yet so why even sweat it. If you do start losing it, instead of experimenting with drugs to prevent it, just shave your head. There are much bigger issues to worry about...just have fun at 18.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
You lose hundreds of hairs a day. Its normal. Anyone who has a dramatic hair loss should have a check up just in case(your brother) as it can be a sign of a health issues.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
If I remember correctly I think it is usually inherited from the maternal side. So check your mom's dad.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
If I remember correctly I think it is usually inherited from the maternal side. So check your mom's dad.
This is not always true. My Father has a bald spot and has gray hair. His brother on the other hand has a full head of thick hair with little to no gray and is at least 5-6 yrs older.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
Yeah it doesn't seem to follow that way in mine or my husbands family. It's just what I've heard.

My Mom's dad was going bald and had thin hair. My brother has a thick head of blond hair. I have thin blonde hair.

My husbands Mom's Dad had thin hair, and all 3 of her boys (my husband and his two brothers) have a pretty thick head of hair.

Who knows maybe I heard wrong?!?!!? Anyone???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness