Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times

Advertisements

Well, nothing will bring you crashing back down to reality as fast as when the dentist hands you a mirror to look at something in your mouth and you get a glimpse of what you look like up close and personal . I swear I did not look like that when I left the house , and I almost feel sorry for the poor gal cleaning my teeth being that close to my face. Almost sorry, they do have those pointy things they poke you with, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
mrshvo, I can relate to what you're saying. At 43, my perspective is a bit different! I look younger than I am, but I still see the aging process taking its toll. However, I still go dancing once a week with friends, and I figure it's better to age than not be here at all. The more I see people around me with health problems, the more grateful I am to be healthy and okay. I have more freedom now than I've had since my late teens (I got married at 20 and had two kids by the time I was 25).

I know that I can't compete with girls in their 20s, so I don't even try. In a way, it's very liberating, because I don't have to dress up, wear insanely high heels, try to look like something I'm not, etc. Besides, I think one of the quickest ways to make yourself look really old is to dress like you're twenty years younger! You can have style and look good at any age, but let's face it, after a certain point, no one wants to see you in spandex or a crop top! However, mrshvo, you have a good ten years before you have to worry about that. Consider yourself lucky!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
At 20, I often feel depressed over my age. I think I saw a WRINKLE forming the other day, and my thighs just seem to jiggle a bit more each day! I long to be 17 again and to have my six-pack abs back! WOOOOO!!!! I'm sooooo old! AHHHHH!!!! Well, on the plus side, I won't have to worry about any priests licking their lips while looking at me anymore. LOL!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
ive got to agree with momark, a woman blossoms in her 30's, she feels much more comfortable of who she is, what she wants, and hopefully has matured above the 20's of any destructive experimenting.
ive noticed most woman in thier 30's have a natural "glow" about them, knowing they arent 18 anymore, yet thier true beauty blossoms,,(how a woman carrys herself, is more sexy than any greyhound looking model i see (with no breasts) on the cover of magazines.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:49 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
I think the moment a person stops having fun in life and becomes a negative, bitter person is when the aging process begins in mind, body & spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
and hopefully has matured above the 20's of any destructive experimenting.
I'm curious as to what you refer to as 'destructive experimenting'?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
city, most of my friends (in thier 40's) have either; been social alcoholics, , or wasted much money of weed, or cocaine, or crack.
i mentioned the 20's.. often many dont have a family, or are trying(experimenting) with different substances, that often overtake us.
hopefully, most learn by destructive abuses, or behaviors, , now most of these friends, in thier 30's settled down, and have spouses/families, essentially, having more responsibilities of the families and fatherhood

Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
If you're a woman over 40 read and forward to your other friends. If you're a man over 40, possibly in your mid-life crisis, stop what you are doing and take note.

In case you missed it on 60 Minutes, this is what Andy Rooney thinks about women over 40:

A few minutes with Andy Rooney:

As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why: A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think. If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting.

Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated. Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you're a jerk if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize. For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free"; here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying the entire pig just to get a little sausage!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
I have a new found respect for Andy Rooney! Not in my forties yet but "God" bless the man

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
I'm 58 and people still mistake my sister who is 6 years older than I as my mom. It drives her nuts and embarrasses me.

When I was 45, I looked like I was in my early 30s, but I think age is catching up to me which it is bound to do. People think I'm in my 40s now, but I don't view myself that way.

I will not dye my hair, never have, never will, and surgery is out. The way God made me and the way I'm changing is natural. I do try to not eat too terribly wrong and do drink lots of water, exercise occasionally, don't drink alcohol, never did drugs, never partied, just lead a clean and boring (to some) life. I do not wear makeup anymore and do not like to see it on an older woman. I think it only makes her look older than her years. One can't hide those wrinkles with cosmetics; it only makes them show up greater.

So for what it's worth, I am going to enjoy my sunset years whether I look 90 or 60.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
city, most of my friends (in thier 40's) have either; been social alcoholics, , or wasted much money of weed, or cocaine, or crack.
i mentioned the 20's.. often many dont have a family, or are trying(experimenting) with different substances, that often overtake us.
hopefully, most learn by destructive abuses, or behaviors, , now most of these friends, in thier 30's settled down, and have spouses/families, essentially, having more responsibilities of the families and fatherhood

I can say I never had the desire to take a walk down drug or alcohol alley.
My parents were strict but didn't really say "don't do this-or that"...they did however, monitor our friends. I pretty much knew who to stay away from and who was bad news anyway.
But thinking back I watched several kids I went to school with walk that path of destruction. A few never did walk their way back out.

**I thought you meant destructive as in motorcycles or something...lol **
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness