Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

Men and women have different symptoms of depression. Many guys just get angry and more violent in expressing it. You must have been pretty angry to hit yourself - this is also a sign of some emotional issues. I think you need to continue on the medicationa and look for your county mental health agency to get some counseling to deal with what is going on that makes you so angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Head trauma can trigger depression but self harm is a symptom of mental health issues.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Months ago, I was having an argument with my mom. It really got me angry. I thought about the argument later and it made me mad (angry enough to hit a wall, for example), but instead of hitting a wall, I hit myself on the side of the head. It wasn't really that hard neither... but it did cause a minor bruise that healed up in about a week.

But the next day when I woke up, my mood felt different. I can't really describe it. I also felt I had to give some extra effort to enjoy doing things I liked everyday. It was noticeable enough that I went to the doctor the same day.

My doctor learned about the situation, and he gave me mild depression pills. I asked him if I should get X-Rays of my head, and he said "you didn't crack your skull, no." He told me to just take the pills and I'll be fine.

Now, I took the pills for five days, and I felt completely normal after that. Normal like always. But about a month later, the lack of wanting to do things came back. My sex drive was much less, among other kinda small things, like lacking pleasure in some activities I once enjoyed every day. My sperm is also kinda runny at times and my erection feels a tad different, though that might be because of the pills.

My point is, I still kinda feel this way. I haven't took all of my mild depression pills yet, but do I need to?

What I'm asking is, do you think I just have mild depression and it'll go away sometime after I take all my pills, or is the problem something else that the doctor didn't recognize?
I would research (ask your pharmacist about) all the potential side effects of the pills including long term ones. I've had clients with allergies who took allergy meds long term and later developed problems with erectile dysfunction (a long term side effect). Taking drugs for a long time for chronic problems is great for the profits of the medical establishment and not as good for the patient.

There are probably natural treatments you could be on with NO SIDE effects that are less expensive than the drugs you take now. A good Naturopathic Doctor (and N.D NOT and M.D) would be able to help you with the underlying cause of your depression, suggest changes you can make in your lifestyle to get rid of it and in a matter of months you could be depression free!

Unfortunately, conventional medical doctors are NOT trained in detecting CAUSES of disease, nor are they trained in how to strengthen your immune system and your overall health and well being. Instead they are trained how to treat SYMPTOMS with DRUGS and SURGERY to "help you live longer with your disease or condition" (which means of course, taking the drugs for the rest of your life).

The Naturopaths I use have patients all over the world and have been curing so-called "incurable" (by conventional medicine) diseases for 30 years. Dr Jansen was a former medical doctor. The see out of area patients via phone appts. They have a two hour radio show in the Providence/Boston area that streams live Saturday mornings from 8-10 eastern time so anyone with a computer anywhere in the world can listen. Next Saturday you could call in with a question to the show about your problem or you could email them or call. Their website is www.holistichealthline.com

For more information about what a Naturopath is and how much training they have visit

http://www.naturopathic.org/

AANMC HOME - Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges

Admission Requirements for International Students | The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness