Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times

Advertisements

I just turned 49 and just within the past few months have started having incontinence problems while coughing, sneezing, etc. I went to the dr. today and he checked & said a I have a pretty big problem with it. So I'm having the "sling" type surgery done next month where mesh is inserted to "hold things up". Have any of you had it? I first heard about it a couple of weeks ago on the tv show "The Doctors", so it was pretty weird that the dr. I went to today recommended it! It is supposedly pretty noninvasive as they only make a small incision inside then one tiny one at the top of each leg. It's outpatient followed by a couple of days off work. I'd love to hear about other womens' experience with this surgery.....how was the recovery, did it work, etc. Thanks in advance for sharing as this isn't the most pleasant topic to talk about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I've heard of it. And I have a neighbor considering it. But would you consider a non-surgical approach first? There are other options. This may not help you in the end, but personally I prefer trying anything with surgery being the last.

Also, did you get a second opinion? If the doctor you went to is also the one to be performing the surgery, I would question whether this is really necessary at this point. And I would also be concerned that other options were not suggested and tried first. It's not too late to cancel surgery if you wish to consider other options. Please read below and click on links:

"Treatment options for urinary incontinence fall into four broad categories — behavioral techniques, medications, devices and surgery. In most cases, your doctor will suggest the least invasive treatments first, so you'll try behavioral techniques first and move on to other options only if these techniques fail."

Urinary incontinence: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

"There are several possible treatments for urinary incontinence. The best treatment depends on the cause of your incontinence and your personal preferences."

Women’s Incontinence Treatment - WebMD

Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I've heard of it. And I have a neighbor considering it. But would you consider a non-surgical approach first? There are other options. This may not help you in the end, but personally I prefer trying anything with surgery being the last.

Also, did you get a second opinion? If the doctor you went to is also the one to be performing the surgery, I would question whether this is really necessary at this point. And I would also be concerned that other options were not suggested and tried first. It's not too late to cancel surgery if you wish to consider other options. Please read below and click on links:

"Treatment options for urinary incontinence fall into four broad categories — behavioral techniques, medications, devices and surgery. In most cases, your doctor will suggest the least invasive treatments first, so you'll try behavioral techniques first and move on to other options only if these techniques fail."

Urinary incontinence: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

"There are several possible treatments for urinary incontinence. The best treatment depends on the cause of your incontinence and your personal preferences."

Women’s Incontinence Treatment - WebMD
Beth,
Thanks for the links. I've read them before and after seeing a couple of doctors and trying other things we've come to the conclusion that the surgery is my best option due to my particular anatomical problem. Meds have not helped and I've done Kegel exercises for years (I had a hysterectomy when I was 27....22 years ago...and have done them since then. Other suggestions on the sites don't apply to my "disorder", if you will! Believe me, I'd avoid surgery if I could, I've had my share! But this seems to be my best option, and thank goodness it's not very invasive. Thanks again for your suggestions and concern!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
My Mom, age 78, just had this surgery along with a full hysterectomy. She had no incisions at all. I would do a little research on the Dr who does your surgery, I would go to a Uro-Gynecologist who specializes in this sort of thing as many women who get this surgery end up making things worse instead of better.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 PM

I had the "sling" surgery done today and it went really well! The procedure only took about 20 minutes and once I was fully awake, able to drink & pee, I was able to leave the surgery center. Surgery at 11:00, outttttta there by 12:30! Other than my upper thighs aching some (not sure if due to the small incisions or the position my legs were in!) I felt great. Going potty didn't hurt at all. I had this done in a town about a 3 hour drive away. DH thought I'd be ready to head home & sleep in the car. I wanted to SHOP! So we went shopping! It actually felt better after I'd walked around for awhile. I was never tired at all. I took 2 total pain pills, one after I woke up and the other about 6 hours later. I was due for another about 2 hours ago but don't feel the need for one yet. I've been sitting at the computer for quite awhile & when I got up awhile ago I was a bit stiff & sore, so I just may take one more before bed just to make sure I sleep well. For any of you considering this surgery, it was a breeze. If I wasn't on spring break this week I would definitely be ready to go back to work tomorrow!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I had the "sling" surgery done today and it went really well! The procedure only took about 20 minutes and once I was fully awake, able to drink & pee, I was able to leave the surgery center. Surgery at 11:00, outttttta there by 12:30! Other than my upper thighs aching some (not sure if due to the small incisions or the position my legs were in!) I felt great. Going potty didn't hurt at all. I had this done in a town about a 3 hour drive away. DH thought I'd be ready to head home & sleep in the car. I wanted to SHOP! So we went shopping! It actually felt better after I'd walked around for awhile. I was never tired at all. I took 2 total pain pills, one after I woke up and the other about 6 hours later. I was due for another about 2 hours ago but don't feel the need for one yet. I've been sitting at the computer for quite awhile & when I got up awhile ago I was a bit stiff & sore, so I just may take one more before bed just to make sure I sleep well. For any of you considering this surgery, it was a breeze. If I wasn't on spring break this week I would definitely be ready to go back to work tomorrow!
Probably due to the incisions. It was the best thing I ever did - no regrets!! It has been a treat jogging without my Depends!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,420 times
Hello Ladies,

I was doing research for problems with the Mini-arc implant sling procedure and came across this site. Man, I am so lucky most of the things you all are complaining about; I haven't had. I do have many questions. I had this surgery Nov. 19 '2010 with minor problems to my surprise. I live in Germany but am an American) living over sea. When having surgery over here they keep you in the hospital for 1 week after the surgery to make sure there were no complications afterwards.
I had it done on Tuesday and had the catheter in for 2 1/2 days after. I major pain while in the hospital for 3 days straight, due to the catheter being in so long. Once they took it out on Thurs. I was in minor pain but was able to go to the bathroom right after removal of the catheter. After coming home, I spent the next three days in minor pain and discomfort do to swelling. After 2 weeks, things began to settle down in the pain department. The leaking had been fixed on all accounts (coughing, sneezing, laughing –no leaks). On the third week, I came down with a major cold so I spent the next 2 weeks coughing, sneezing my brains out. This was a great test for the implant I had done and I had 2/10 days that I leaked. It has been almost four months now and I am still dry. (Yippy)! I am able to still go the bathroom, but when the bladder is full after a night’s sleep. I wake fast to run for the bathroom with some leaks there, but over all I am dry the rest of the day.
I am able to walk, run, and jump with no leaks. I will be making appointment here soon to ask the doctor why this there is pain during and after intercourse. I will post again and let you know what they tell me. If you would like to contact me about this implant. Email me at (etsmith341@yahoo.com) any time I will be more than happy to talk about this surgery. Best of luck to us all.
Yours Truly,

Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times
I'm in my early 30s and had this issue for several years. It took everything in me not to quit my jobs. I tried everything from dieting, meds, supplements, gyno, lots of urinary tests, blood tests, urology test with urologist. I always felt like no one was trying to help because they couldn't find anything wrong with me. After thousands of dollars, I finally went to a chiropractor and after several weekly visits for months- no more problems. The spine is the root to our life which is connected to each organ in our body. And they can really help. -just repeating what my chiropractor told me. hope this helps and best luck to you all.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
3 of the gals in our bridge group have had it done in the past couple of years. All three have been playing bridge again is a few days so and have had no problems. In every case, they are sorry they didn't have it done sooner.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Just 2 cents, well more like about $20 for a 1-month supply, that may be worth a try. I know two older women, one was in mid-40's and one in 60's that both happened to start using progesterone cream (one for bone density - which improved also) -- and they both solved their incontinence issues. One (the younger) was about to have surgery too. It's otherwise pretty harmless, so maybe worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness