Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM

298 posts, read 1,010,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Raw milk is the only milk that can be organic. If its pastuerized its not an organic food. I have a major problem with almonds which can be labeled raw and organic but are pastuerized.
Can i ask why you think pasturisation makes something not organic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
You can TOTALLY taste the difference between true organic vs large corporation farmed.
Taste wise..

Take an organic cucumber.. cut it.. .Eat it.
Now
Take a large farm cucumber... cut it... eat it...

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy00 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.....*i'm confused*
[SIZE=4]pas⋅teur⋅ize[/SIZE]   /ˈpæstʃəˌraɪz, ˈpæstə-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pas-chuh-rahyz, pas-tuh-] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -ized, -iz⋅ing. to expose (a food, as milk, cheese, yogurt, beer, or wine) to an elevated temperature for a period of time sufficient to destroy certain microorganisms, as those that can produce disease or cause spoilage or undesirable fermentation of food, without radically altering taste or quality.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Quote:

Heating is a form of processing. It kills enzymes, vitamins and nutrients. Foods that are pastuerized are dead foods.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,025 times
Quote:
Heating is a form of processing. It kills enzymes, vitamins and nutrients. Foods that are pastuerized are dead foods.
But that doesn't stop it being organic. Organic is the way that it is grown/bred not what happens to it afterwards. If you think that all cooked food stops being organic and there is no point.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Quote:
But that doesn't stop it being organic. Organic is the way that it is grown/bred not what happens to it afterwards. If you think that all cooked food stops being organic and there is no point.
Food has to be raw to be considered organic as far as I am concerned. If it is treated using heat its no longer raw. Its a processed dead food. When referring to milk especially. Raw milk is a completely different (and better) product than whatever it is that is on supermarket shelves.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Food has to be raw to be considered organic as far as I am concerned. If it is treated using heat its no longer raw. Its a processed dead food. When referring to milk especially. Raw milk is a completely different (and better) product than whatever it is that is on supermarket shelves.
I can see your point, but that's your opinion. I mean is cooked spinach inorganic? I'm reading Tess of the D'ubervilles now--which relates to this thread because Tess worked in a diary after she got knocked up and her illegitimate baby died--and your post made me think of the dairy business back then in England. The book describes how they milk the cows and then make butter and cheese etc.

Not much about fresh milk, though... I bet pasteurization is the major technology that made it possible for mass distribution of milk...without killing hundreds of people. I mean, would you REALLY drink milk from an unknown, nose-wiping, bottom-scratching person without boiling it? I hope you're milking your cowsies yourself if you drink raw milk.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,016 times
Well, for one thing, people of most semi-developed nations rarely make a big deal out of what they eat in term of healthy vs not healthy. They rarely pay attention to if their food is organic or not or how much calorie their meal contain. Yet generally they're thinner and healthier. No, I don't think organic food in the US would make much of a difference. I've done my fair share of foreign travel, nowhere did I see the sheer ubiquity of extreme obesity despite the fact most of the locals are far less obsessed with eating healthy.There're major problems with this nation's agriculture/food industry, if you don't solve that problem, whatever label your grocery have won't make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness