Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,241 times

Advertisements

First it's scare to find a shampoo/ conditioner or possibly 2-in-1 for oily hair

Been using head and shoulders if I'm lucky to find one at duane reade or walgreen. Hence there are times I just do without the 2-in-1 head and shoulders. Also I do apply baby powder; obviously after showering.

Which shampoo and or conditioner would you recommend for oily hair with dandruff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
First it's scare to find a shampoo/ conditioner or possibly 2-in-1 for oily hair

Been using head and shoulders if I'm lucky to find one at duane reade or walgreen. Hence there are times I just do without the 2-in-1 head and shoulders. Also I do apply baby powder; obviously after showering.

Which shampoo and or conditioner would you recommend for oily hair with dandruff?

I hope you have better luck than I do in finding a good shampoo, and conditioner, for oily hair. I'm not a shiela but my hair is about the only thing that I have tried to look after since I was 13. Nudging 60 now and have the odd grey strand in there of course, more grey hairs on my chest than on my head.

For years I used plain old 'egg cream' shampoo, but that dissappeared off the shelf years ago in place of a multitude of other stuff, now I try to find shampoo and conditioner for damaged or permed hair because I figure that stuff must be good for trying to bring life back into hair. I refuse to look at the 'two in one' stuff, I just want plain old shampoo and conditioner on their own, for oily hair.

Jeez, I sound like a blouse here , but there is something about hair that makes a statement of the person I reckon, and how they look after themselves, just a quirky thing with me I suppose. I keep telling my wife that her hair feels and looks like barbed wire, (yeah, I know, I'm the romantic type ), due to all the stuff she has put in it over the years, not to mention having it cooked with all that electrical equipment . I often pass a comment to one of my daughters when her hair looks shiny and clean, it, and her, look so healthy to me.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post

Actually you know what you can use...
Cheap, like Ivory soap(without glycerin) cheap or even cheaper regular soap (I am talking about regular bar of soap). And cheap because the cheaper it is usually the more concentrated it is, the more expensive soap the more moisturizers it has. You want that type of soup that leaves your skin extremely dry.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
best clarifying shampoo out there that I have found in Jonathan Antin's shampoo and products, I have used them and they really clarify ones hair. can be found at Sephora or online. The best thing I can say about his stuff is that even though it might be a bit pricy you might not have to use daily. I can only use his products once in a great while but I don't have oily hair.
Also look into more all natural products, Jason is normally a good all natural product found at places like Sun Harvest foods or Whole Food stores.
also check out Ehow.com for some great ideas and home remedies.
Last but not least remember to treat the scalp not the hair. Most hair trouble come from a problem at the scalp or within... for me I wash my scalp only, only time I really wash my hair is if it get into places it shouldn't (with waiste lenght hair it happens). so concintrate on scalp situations and correction not hair. Some items you may eat can cause oily hair. EHow has an article about it.
Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
google "vinegar hair rinse". 2x a month, I was my hair in an apple cider vinegar mixture to control dandruff and clarify (ie, remove gunk from my scalp) and it works great. it' a bit drying for me though since my hair is very dry, but it may be perfect for you

Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
google "vinegar hair rinse". 2x a month, I was my hair in an apple cider vinegar mixture to control dandruff and clarify (ie, remove gunk from my scalp) and it works great. it' a bit drying for me though since my hair is very dry, but it may be perfect for you
if your hair get really dry get some jojoba oil if you can add in some tea tree essence oil & lavendar essence oil. set up a nice hot bath as hot as you can take it. put in about 3-5 TBS of the jojoba oil plain or as the mixture and then take a long hot soak letting you head and hair rest in the water. It is a great moisturizer for body and hot oil treatment for hair. wrap hair in a towel and sleep with oil on hair overnight if you can then wash hair in the morning as usual. I do that about once or twice a year to keep my hair healthy. I might not need to now I use Ojon ( palm nut product ).

just another idea. Also helps some with oil/dandriff hair I am told

Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I hope you have better luck than I do in finding a good shampoo, and conditioner, for oily hair. I'm not a shiela but my hair is about the only thing that I have tried to look after since I was 13. Nudging 60 now and have the odd grey strand in there of course, more grey hairs on my chest than on my head.

For years I used plain old 'egg cream' shampoo, but that dissappeared off the shelf years ago in place of a multitude of other stuff, now I try to find shampoo and conditioner for damaged or permed hair because I figure that stuff must be good for trying to bring life back into hair. I refuse to look at the 'two in one' stuff, I just want plain old shampoo and conditioner on their own, for oily hair.

Jeez, I sound like a blouse here , but there is something about hair that makes a statement of the person I reckon, and how they look after themselves, just a quirky thing with me I suppose. I keep telling my wife that her hair feels and looks like barbed wire, (yeah, I know, I'm the romantic type ), due to all the stuff she has put in it over the years, not to mention having it cooked with all that electrical equipment . I often pass a comment to one of my daughters when her hair looks shiny and clean, it, and her, look so healthy to me.
I know what you mean about fried hair. My mom is a twin (in their 90's). Mama left her hair in it's natural long wavy brunette state almost always...while her sister has had every crazy hairdo you can think of. God I can still remember that beehive! She must've gone through a can of hairspray a day! Needless to say, Mama's hair is still very smooth and pretty (albeit snow white) and her sister's hair is thin and scraggly and looks really brittle.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Have you tried Neutrogena T Gel shampoo? Works wonders on dandruff and oily hair.
Ease up on the baby powder though, that'll cake into the oil on your scalp after shampooing and make the dandruff gunkier and worse overall.
Maybe you should buy pillowcases in bulk as well, so you can launder them everyday?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Go to a reputable salon and inquire with them they will look at your hair type etc and recommend a shampoo good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness