Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

I was having dinner with friends tonight and we were having a discussion about our philosophy of staying healthy. We decided that most people fall into one of two main camps:

One side kind of neglects their health, doesn't exercise or eat as well as they could and then turns to Western medicine for the magic bullet to 'fix' them--whether through a prescribed medication or a procedure.

The other group tries their best to eat pretty well and exercise and are likely to take supplements on a regular basis, and if ailing, will try natural or alternative remedies or treatments before conventional medicine. In fact, they will only use Western medicine as a last resort...

And, we wondered, do both sides tend to get well because they believe that their cure is the one that will help them??

Of course, there are gradients and shades of gray between these two camps...

Which side do you tend to fall on, and what do you think?

Which wellness philosophy best matches your practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I think western medicine is great for things like broken bones, burst appendix etc. But I don't believe in their approach to most of our common health problems, cancer, heart disease... they only focus on fixing things once they are "broken", not on prevention. I stay away from conventional doctors as much as I can, I'd rather get acupuncture, massage, good nutrition etc. holistic dental care etc.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I was having dinner with friends tonight and we were having a discussion about our philosophy of staying healthy. We decided that most people fall into one of two main camps:

One side kind of neglects their health, doesn't exercise or eat as well as they could and then turns to Western medicine for the magic bullet to 'fix' them--whether through a prescribed medication or a procedure.

The other group tries their best to eat pretty well and exercise and are likely to take supplements on a regular basis, and if ailing, will try natural or alternative remedies or treatments before conventional medicine. In fact, they will only use Western medicine as a last resort...

And, we wondered, do both sides tend to get well because they believe that their cure is the one that will help them??

define "wellness"

Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Well, I take good care of myself, but I tend to believe most "alternative remedies or treatments" are just fraudulent crap.
I have a lot of confidence in western medicine and in the mainstream medical community.
That said, I've never really had much medical care because I never had medical insurance until very recently.

I'm fortunate that I've always been pretty healthy, i guess.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Well let's define 'wellness' as the state of being healthy and free from dis-ease.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I think western medicine is great for things like broken bones, burst appendix etc. But I don't believe in their approach to most of our common health problems, cancer, heart disease... they only focus on fixing things once they are "broken", not on prevention. I stay away from conventional doctors as much as I can, I'd rather get acupuncture, massage, good nutrition etc. holistic dental care etc.
This is completely false, I don't even know where to start.
Doctors always recommends to their Pt.(or should) to eat right and staying healthy.
In most hospital will give you pamphlets if you smoke, will give pamphlets if you are an alcoholic. Will start warning you if your cholesterol is starting to go up. But most Pt. don't care and don't even read the information on the pamphlets.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, I take good care of myself, but I tend to believe most "alternative remedies or treatments" are just fraudulent crap.
I have a lot of confidence in western medicine and in the mainstream medical community.
That said, I've never really had much medical care because I never had medical insurance until very recently.

I'm fortunate that I've always been pretty healthy, i guess.
, great post.
this is to show that not all "healthy" people are "pseudomedicine" freaks.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I think the primary responsibility for your wellness is in your own hands by way of prevention. Failing that, conventional medicine treats the symptoms of diseases. Alternative medicine attempts to treat the causes, although there needs to be much greater research into specific alternatives. I think the future will hold that a combination of convetional and complementary alternatives will prevail. But I am a huge believer in providing your body the proper tools to help itself.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Prevention makes a lot of sense to me.

Ever since I read what the Father of Modern Medicine, Hippocrates said, "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food," I've tried to make what I put in my mouth healthy for me...

Guess it's working, just got the results of my blood panel back and I'm good on all levels--very happy to find out my cholesterol and triglycerides are great...I had no idea what to expect but hoped my mostly vegetarian, low fat diet had proved helpful...and so it was.

The doctor said "keep doing what you're doing.."

Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
, great post.
this is to show that not all "healthy" people are "pseudomedicine" freaks.
what is a pseudomedicince freak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness