Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times

Advertisements

So, I don't need a lecture about free care - I've been there, done that, and think the majority (with exceptions) needs to work for their care (even if they receive "free" care) - that said, everyone should be entitled to quality care, regardless of income (not here to get into a debate about that, or anything else, just here to seek some advice and hopefully help).

I'm suffering from SEVERE and chronic pelvic pain (mostly left ovary, but occasionally my right ovary and cervix hurt), and have been for the past 7-8 months. I've been tested for all the basics (BV, STD's, transabdominal u/s), and everything is coming up clean. I've been using a health department (lost my job in January, no insurance, no unemployment), here in the state of Florida. The doctors are giving me the run around, essentially just telling me to wait it out, performing the same tests over and over again (in 2 weeks I'm up for pelvic exam no. 4 or 5 since May), and giving me drugs for pain (800 mg of Ibuprofen). The pain is only getting worse, and the symptoms (some pretty gross, so I'll spare the details) are as well. I'm quickly losing hope that I'm going to get the proper treatment to get better...as my conditions worsen quickly (as well as having depression set in over the condition).

Does anyone know of any charities or financial help that can help with the treatment of women's problems, such as these? I've done some research, and will continue - but I'm not coming up with anything. I'm at the point where the care I'm receiving in FL is getting old (I'm originally from Michigan, so I do know the difference for northern vs southern care, regardless of insurance) - and I'm looking to travel back north - preferably NY (NYC or southern NY), CT, NJ, PA, or MI (I have family/friends in these areas that I should be able to stay with, should I be able to find help in getting proper treatment).

I'm incredibly desperate, and would greatly appreciate ANY help that you guys could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
I'm so sorry about your condition. I'm afraid I have nothing concrete to offer, except to investigate medicaid, both in FL and MI. Its state funded, check out the requirements for both, you may qualify in one state and not the other. I'm from MI, I do agree health care is better up there, try Hutzel (formerly Womens) in Detroit, they're in a crummy area, but do offer charity care if qualified, I think you have to be a resident of Wayne County, also, look at Ann Arbor (University of Michigan Medical Branch), I know they do a lot of indigent care as well.

Whatever you do, get yourself situated before your condition worsens and you can't travel. Best of luck and God Bless!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The two places that excel at diagnosis are the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic. I know Cleveland Clinic has a hospital in Weston, and I think Mayo may have an outlier somewhere in the north end of the state. You can fiddle around for months at other places, but the Mayo in particular will hone in on the diagnosis within days or even hours. How you pay for that is up to you, but the cost of a fast diagnosis will be less in the long run.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The two places that excel at diagnosis are the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic. I know Cleveland Clinic has a hospital in Weston, and I think Mayo may have an outlier somewhere in the north end of the state. You can fiddle around for months at other places, but the Mayo in particular will hone in on the diagnosis within days or even hours. How you pay for that is up to you, but the cost of a fast diagnosis will be less in the long run.

I second this. I used to live in Florida myself and believe there is also a Cleveland Clinic facility off of Commercial Dr. in Ft. Lauderdale. The Mayo Clinic is in Jacksonville Fl. I think this is excellent advice. You should also make sure you get a copy of every treatment/test you have when performed. This will help you not having it duplicated.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The one on Commercial was moved to the new facility at Weston a few years back. Thanks for that Jacksonville reminder. I thought it was there, but wasn't sure enough to state so directly.

The whole internal structure of these places is different than the average hospitals. The amount of cross-communication and training is far greater than standard practices. A doctor that invests in a wrong diagnosis is quickly brought to rights rather than treated with a "hands-off, he is a senior member" by other staffers.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Have they tried giving you a round of antibiotics for it? Did they look at you with ultrasound or anything like that?

It sounds like this to me:
Endometritis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

Ovarian cyst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ruptured)

Talk to a hospital about the "charity care" programs they offer. You may qualify for them.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
So, I don't need a lecture about free care - I've been there, done that, and think the majority (with exceptions) needs to work for their care (even if they receive "free" care) - that said, everyone should be entitled to quality care, regardless of income (not here to get into a debate about that, or anything else, just here to seek some advice and hopefully help).

I'm suffering from SEVERE and chronic pelvic pain (mostly left ovary, but occasionally my right ovary and cervix hurt), and have been for the past 7-8 months. I've been tested for all the basics (BV, STD's, transabdominal u/s), and everything is coming up clean. I've been using a health department (lost my job in January, no insurance, no unemployment), here in the state of Florida. The doctors are giving me the run around, essentially just telling me to wait it out, performing the same tests over and over again (in 2 weeks I'm up for pelvic exam no. 4 or 5 since May), and giving me drugs for pain (800 mg of Ibuprofen). The pain is only getting worse, and the symptoms (some pretty gross, so I'll spare the details) are as well. I'm quickly losing hope that I'm going to get the proper treatment to get better...as my conditions worsen quickly (as well as having depression set in over the condition).

Does anyone know of any charities or financial help that can help with the treatment of women's problems, such as these? I've done some research, and will continue - but I'm not coming up with anything. I'm at the point where the care I'm receiving in FL is getting old (I'm originally from Michigan, so I do know the difference for northern vs southern care, regardless of insurance) - and I'm looking to travel back north - preferably NY (NYC or southern NY), CT, NJ, PA, or MI (I have family/friends in these areas that I should be able to stay with, should I be able to find help in getting proper treatment).

I'm incredibly desperate, and would greatly appreciate ANY help that you guys could provide.
Sadly, don't think you would be getting better treatment if you had insurance or cash though you would have more of a choice about getting second opinions. I was ill w/ nebulous symptoms and went to the doctors numerous times and got no help...turned out it was low level carbon monoxide poisoning and of course the stuff was usually gone by the time any tests were performed. Took two winters (and an AC repairman) to come to this conclusion.

I really hope you can find some help.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Have you been to Planned Parenthood? They cover all sorts of women's issues and work on a sliding scale for payment. I use to see them for my all my gyn issues before I had insurance. I don't know where you are in Florida, but you should be able to google for a location near you. At least it might be a step you can take to try something before you can get up north. Here is a list of services you can find there: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...ices-26176.htm And the Florida locations: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...findCenter.asp

I hope you find some help! Take care

Last edited by rubytue; 09-22-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Have they tried giving you a round of antibiotics for it? Did they look at you with ultrasound or anything like that?

It sounds like this to me:
Endometritis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

Ovarian cyst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ruptured)

Talk to a hospital about the "charity care" programs they offer. You may qualify for them.
Well back in May it was thought I had BV (Bacterial Vaginosis), and was given the full round (2 weeks) of antibiotics. I was still in pain when I finished, and went back to the clinic, and then it was determined it wasn't BV, after all.

I've received two transabdominal u/s....and that's the only type they want to seem to do.

I'm beginning to believe it's endo, too, which scares me because of what can happen if left untreated (infertility, etc [if I'm married and have a decent income, I DO want kids, someday]). However, I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst in the past, but because both transabdominal u/s are coming up within normal limits, they're overlooking any other types of tests (CT, Transvaginal u/s, etc [because even I know I could have itty-bitty cysts INSIDE of my ovary, I believe they're called polycystic cysts, or I could have a twisted fallopian tube, or tilted uterus, not sure if that would influence pain elsewhere, though]) - and even if it isn't endo, and just cysts, if the doctors keep playing games with me, I'm afraid of the many possibilities that could occur (become infertile, having to have organs removed, or the worse, cancer [in time, and my maternal grandmother had cervical cancer, which was overlooked as a blood clot, by her doctor, and ended up dying by the time it was figured out to be cancer]).

Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Have you been to Planned Parenthood? They cover all sorts of women's issues and work on a sliding scale for payment. I use to see them for my all my gyn issues before I had insurance. I don't know where you are in Florida, but you should be able to google for a location near you. At least it might be a step you can take to try something before you can get up north. Here is a list of services you can find there: Women's Health Services - Planned Parenthood And the Florida locations: Find a Health Center - Planned Parenthood

I hope you find some help! Take care
I haven't been to a PP, but I am using the county health system. I'll look into them, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness