Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would prefer that whole 'stork bringing it in by blanket and sky' to be true.
Me too!
I have 1 child-16 hours of labor-contractions every 10 mins even though only 1cm dilated.Then every 5 mins for the last 8 hours.
gas and air -rubbish
3 doses of diamorphine then that was the max I could have!

I couldn't pee and had to have 2 in and out catheters, and then when I went to theater I had a perm one put in.

I was in the "midwifery led " unit to start-room nicely decorated with pine bed, and I was able to walk round etc and not permamently connected to monitor.To be honest, after the first 2 hours I could have been in the middle of a field and I wouldn't have cared! Eventually had tobe taken down to the delivery suite proper when medical intervention was needed.

Best bit was the general anesthetic for the emergency c section.Seriously though-they wanted to do an episiotomy and forceps (they couldn't see his head!) but I refused and asked for a C Section. If I had had the epidural in place I would not have gone for GA but couldn't have laid still while they out epi in at that point.

As a nurse, I would never have a home birth, especially with first. I have seen how quickly babies can "go off" and also how badly women can haemorrhage post partum.

To each their own, but I just wish I had been more prepared for things to go wrong.
They say things like -oh you forget about the pain once the baby comes, but personally I felt as though I had no control of the situation and with uncle Tom Cobbly and all doing internal exams it was a bit like an assault.

I also developed post natal depression,fairly common after diff delivery, and had a baby that cried a lot and didn't sleep. Again common after long, diff labors.They can get headaches.My friend took her baby to a chiropractor and he manipulated the skulll bones-hey presto-baby stopped crying all the time.

Wished I had thought of it, or Health visitor had told me-she was absolutely useless! Midwife came to see me at home after I was discharged and first thing she asked was when I was going to lose some weight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 PM

65 posts, read 191,887 times
I had both of mine in hospitals. With my son, his head was too big. He started crashing (thankfully they were monitoring him) from the stress of having his head smashed and the ER docs were up and pulling him out with forceps within a few minutes. They saved him, but it was terrifying. He didn't breathe for so long IO thought I had lost him. Then I got brave enough to have another one nine years later. I was at ten centimeters and pushed for a long time and then suddenly she crashed, and I had an emergency C-section. Ends up her umbillical cord had two complete knots in it and therefore wasn't long enough for her to be born. They saved her also, thanks to the monitor that let us know she was crashing. And I had an epidural for both. I know a lady who had to have a C-section w/o an epidural and believe me it sounds awful. So all I can say is that my kids wouldn't be here (and maybe I wouldn't be either) if I had tried homebirths or anything like that. Don't people realize that 25% of women used to die when all they had was homebirth? I just don't get why anybody would risk it. Nine months of pregnancy just to risk it all at the very end?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyt37 View Post
Getting some research on women having Natural childbirth.
If you had the option

Would you have a hospital
or Home birth??
and why?

Many Thanks
Natural both times, delivered in the hospital, both times walked out and went home within a couple hours of giving birth.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
I had both of mine in hospitals. With my son, his head was too big. He started crashing (thankfully they were monitoring him) from the stress of having his head smashed and the ER docs were up and pulling him out with forceps within a few minutes. They saved him, but it was terrifying. He didn't breathe for so long IO thought I had lost him. Then I got brave enough to have another one nine years later. I was at ten centimeters and pushed for a long time and then suddenly she crashed, and I had an emergency C-section. Ends up her umbillical cord had two complete knots in it and therefore wasn't long enough for her to be born. They saved her also, thanks to the monitor that let us know she was crashing. And I had an epidural for both. I know a lady who had to have a C-section w/o an epidural and believe me it sounds awful. So all I can say is that my kids wouldn't be here (and maybe I wouldn't be either) if I had tried homebirths or anything like that. Don't people realize that 25% of women used to die when all they had was homebirth? I just don't get why anybody would risk it. Nine months of pregnancy just to risk it all at the very end?

Not sure where you got that stat from, but assuming it's correct, you realize that there have been TREMENDOUS improvements in hygiene since then, right?

Studies show that homebirth in low risk women is just as safe, if not safer, than hospital birth.

Outcomes of planned home births with certified professional midwives: large prospective study in North America -- Johnson and Daviss 330 (7505): 1416 -- BMJ

Quote:
Conclusions Planned home birth for low risk women in North America using certified professional midwives was associated with lower rates of medical intervention but similar intrapartum and neonatal mortality to that of low risk hospital births in the United States.
Quote:
A six-year study done by the Texas Department of Health for the years 1983-1989 revealed that the infant mortality rate for non-nurse midwives attending homebirths was 1.9 per 1,000 compared with the doctors' rate of 5.7 per 1,000.[SIZE=-1][4][/SIZE] Certified nurse midwives' mortality rate was 1 per 1,000 and "other" attendants accounted for 10.2 deaths per 1,000 live births
An interesting fact to note is that in European countries, homebirths are much more common, and infant mortality is lower.

Is Homebirth for You?

Quote:
Wagner states that in Europe midwives far outnumber physicians: "In no European country do obstetricians provide the primary health care for most women with normal pregnancy and birth." He states that the U.S. has the highest obstetrical intervention rates as well as a serious problem with malpractice suits and concludes that a strong, independent midwifery service in the U.S. would be a most important counterbalance to the present situation.
Not trying to persuade you either way, but homebirth is very safe for most women.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyt37 View Post
Getting some research on women having Natural childbirth.
If you had the option

Would you have a hospital
or Home birth??
and why?

Many Thanks
Well because i did it...go to the hospital...that way if anything happens bad you are already there. Mine went well and I had him vaginally. I did it with medicine aid too...let me tell you ...there is NO pain like a BABY pain.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
We have an extremely HIGH infant mortality rate. Some say second worst in the world.

Homebirth is the safest for a healthy women with a normal pregnancy.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/paren...mothers.index/

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/...-us-ranks-29th

Doctors need to leave our babies alone. We need to stop messing with nature. We need to stop drugging our pregnant women and children. We need to stop doing so many unecessary C sections, we need to make sure moms are getting enough vitamin D during pregnancy (AT LEAST 5000IU A DAY WHILE PREGNANT) Hospitals infect our newborns. Geez. leave our babies alone already. It's quite clear what the problem is here.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM

65 posts, read 191,887 times
Both of my kids would be dead had I tried a home birth, and both were issues with them, not me. Yeah sure wash your hands, the hygeine would not have saved either of my kids. I can see trying home births if you have already had a couple and maybe they pop right out. But even that wouldn't have saved my daughter, with cord knots that the ultrasound didn't pick up.

As I said, home births are risky. I also feel that women tend to have an inherent sense about their own bodies, and for that reason maybe some of us know when we need a hospital and when we don't. I KNEW I needed hospitals, some women KNOW they will be fine without them. So maybe that is the core of what is missing here, the free will and inner knowing of the mother. If a mother feels an indescribable fear as she nears labor then I would guess there is a problem, and she needs a hospital.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
I had 2 very quick painless births in a hospital. My doctor knew exactly what I wanted very early on in my pregnancy. We had no issues or complications at all. I opt for no pain.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
When and if the time comes, I'd prefer to give birth at a birthing center, or have a home birth - however, neither option is available where I live.
I think hospitals are so germy, many are not comfortable or relaxing settings, and the last time I went to one to see a newborn (this past spring) it was high security to get into the maternity ward...I understand why it is that way, but I'd rather not give birth in a prison-like setting.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
When and if the time comes, I'd prefer to give birth at a birthing center, or have a home birth - however, neither option is available where I live.
I think hospitals are so germy, many are not comfortable or relaxing settings, and the last time I went to one to see a newborn (this past spring) it was high security to get into the maternity ward...I understand why it is that way, but I'd rather not give birth in a prison-like setting.
In your local area, do you mean, or in Missouri in general? I believe Missouri made homebirths with a certified nurse midwife (NOT a lay or direct entry midwife) legal somewhat recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness