Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times

Advertisements

Folks, as Tom Frieden (head of the CDC) stated, you can't MAKE the virus grow any faster. They need to grow the virus in eggs as a first step to manufacturing a vaccine. You can protest all you want, but the fact of the matter is that making vaccines is a very high-risk business, because if one batch doesn't work, you have to start over. That's why very few manufacturers are in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Most likely this will hit the proverbial fan and the damage control boys/girls will arrange for an on stage flu vaccination (though it would only be a placebo serum) to be administered at some future date for all the world's media to observe.

Now that would definitely spell C-O-N-S-P-I-R-A-C-Y! What a horrible way of forcing it to the people if that were to ever happen.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,571 times
Quote:
The supply of vaccines which are currently available are only being given to certain "high risk groups": babies, children, pregnant women, and health care workers. Excuse me??? Practically everybody is at a high risk! Plenty of adults over age 40 (myself included) have contracted this flu, have gotten extremely ill from it, and have missed lots of time from work as a result (some of that time without pay). Why is it all about the kids first? Does nobody else matter?!
This is easy to buy into this way of thinking. Yes some have gotten very sick and missed work. But for many of those with compromised systems, it isnt just about "missing work"--it is about ending up dead. Which I suppose when you put things in perspective, I'd rather be sick as a dog than get the vaccine, get away scott free or just mildly ill-but knowing someone else ended up dead because I took their share of a vaccine. I couldnt believe all the reports on the AZ news about people who were not "at risk" cheating to get the vaccine before everyone else.

THAT SAID, the government and the suppliers SUCK for not having enough available for EVERYONE who wanted it.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
If I had a young child I would give him the vaccine. Just had a young boy 5 years otherwise very heatlhy die in three weeks from confirm case nearby. About the only cases I have heard of are young people that were confirmed that died.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,559,665 times
Take off the tinfoil hats boys and girls.

What it boils down to is - some of you don't like government. Or at least THIS government. Nothing they do will be right.

If Pres. Obama had rushed out and gotten his girls the vaccine before it was available to the public - you would have screamed that he was taking advantage of his position.

Instead, he waited until his children could be vaccinated along with all other eligible DC schoolchildren - so you screamed that its a conspiracy and the vaccine isn't safe and he's deliberately avoiding getting the children vaccinated.

There is NOTHING the President, the FDA, the Hospitals, the Insurance companies can do to make you happy. We get it. Go live in a foil lined refrigerator box,avoid the "industrial-medical-government complex" and be quiet!

Meanwhile, the rest of us will try to get through the rest of this flu season without you rabble rousers trying to create artificial panic.

For the original OP, I too would have preferred that the vaccine be more widely available, however I believe they're doing all they can, and if I have not already contracted the illness, I will get my vaccine when the priority group becomes "30+ year olds with no complicating factors" - so basically Feb 2010!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Take off the tinfoil hats boys and girls.

What it boils down to is - some of you don't like government. Or at least THIS government. Nothing they do will be right.

If Pres. Obama had rushed out and gotten his girls the vaccine before it was available to the public - you would have screamed that he was taking advantage of his position.

Instead, he waited until his children could be vaccinated along with all other eligible DC schoolchildren - so you screamed that its a conspiracy and the vaccine isn't safe and he's deliberately avoiding getting the children vaccinated.
I don't think any of us on this thread are blaming Obama specifically for the lack of vaccines or how they're being administered ... at least I'm not. I admitted to not being a big Obama supporter, but it wouldn't matter who is President as far as this is concerned. The government in general is backward & ineffecient. They knew as far back as six months ago that this influenza outbreak was serious enough for a special vaccine, and that it would become even more serious by this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
For the original OP, I too would have preferred that the vaccine be more widely available, however I believe they're doing all they can, and if I have not already contracted the illness, I will get my vaccine when the priority group becomes "30+ year olds with no complicating factors" - so basically Feb 2010!
"Doing all they can" does not mean delaying the shipment of these vaccines, and then not having enough available! Furthermore, putting certain age groups ahead of others and claiming that they are "higher risk" is really a lot of nonsense. The level of susceptibility really all depends on the INDIVIDUAL. For instance, I'm considered middle age, but I happen to be highly susceptible to viruses, which is why I was affected by this strain. Allowing only the children and pregnant women to have priority to this vaccine is really the same thing as age discrimination if you want to get technical!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 AM

502 posts, read 1,252,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't think any of us on this thread are blaming Obama specifically for the lack of vaccines or how they're being administered ... at least I'm not. I admitted to not being a big Obama supporter, but it wouldn't matter who is President as far as this is concerned. The government in general is backward & ineffecient. They knew as far back as six months ago that this influenza outbreak was serious enough for a special vaccine, and that it would become even more serious by this fall.
The CDC only identified this strain in late April 2009. Then this strain was provided to the 5 or 6 manufacturers. There used to be only 2 a few years ago. It takes several months to create a flu vaccine, which is why it often mutates before the vaccine can be administered. Then it took a bit longer then expected to grow the virus. It is an antiquated and slow process. Not even Superman could speed it up. Then, none of the manufacturers are in the US, so all the vaccines have to be shipped here. Then you have state and local issues. Not to turn this thread into a "state's rights" thread, but having a completely centralized gov't rather than each state deciding on its course of action would streamline the process.

There is little if any profit margin in making flu vaccines (despite what many on C-D believe.) So, there is little incentive to develop new and expensive vaccine technology. In theory, it is possible. But expensive.

In summation, the government did not slow the process. It was the manufacturing process itself, and the fact that all the plants are overseas.

You wrote that you are middle-aged and are considered high risk. Then, I am confused as to why you think that you were a victim of "age discrimination." Your health status supersedes your age. Yes, the CDC is asking healthy people to wait until children and those of any age w/an underlying condition (including pregnancy). But you obviously are considered high risk and qualify to be a priority.

My wife is in her early 30's and considered high-risk. I work for a pharma company so we knew that it was unlikely that there would be an H1N1 vaccine by the time school stared. So, she requested an prescription for Tamifu, got vaccinated against the seasonal flu as soon as it was available, and contacted local health officials daily to find out when the H1N1 vaccine would be available. Once she determined that a batch was "coming in" the next day, she got herself to the clinic early and was vaccinated.

It is called taking "matters into your own hands." And that is what she did. And yes, it took a lot of time and effort.

Hope you have recovered...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Not even Superman could speed it up. Then, none of the manufacturers are in the US, so all the vaccines have to be shipped here. Then you have state and local issues. Not to turn this thread into a "state's rights" thread, but having a completely centralized gov't rather than each state deciding on its course of action would streamline the process.

There is little if any profit margin in making flu vaccines (despite what many on C-D believe.) So, there is little incentive to develop new and expensive vaccine technology. In theory, it is possible. But expensive.

In summation, the government did not slow the process. It was the manufacturing process itself, and the fact that all the plants are overseas.
Actually, Sanofi has a plant in Swiftwater, PA, manufacturing vaccine. But, yes, it's a SLOW, high-risk, expensive and low-profit venture!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 AM

502 posts, read 1,252,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Actually, Sanofi has a plant in Swiftwater, PA, manufacturing vaccine. But, yes, it's a SLOW, high-risk, expensive and low-profit venture!
My mistake! Still, much of the vaccine is produced overseas.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
I think traveling should long have been limited to emergencies. Business and vacation trips should be suspended till next summer. Health is more important than business or pleasure.
But now it is too late for such measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness