Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 PM

183 posts, read 801,667 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently. I only looked through the first few pages of threads...

I am having a procedure tomorrow that will be fairly invasive. My surgeon's nurse asked me last week if I would prefer a certain painkiller, but I am unfamiliar with painkillers that aren't over-the-counter.

I once had oral surgery and they gave me Demerol. I think it worked fine, but I have no idea where it is on the scale of painkillers.

Could anyone out there suggest painkillers to ask them about tomorrow? They will give me a prescription when I am out of surgery. I am hoping to find something that is very strong, but without codeine.

Also, if anyone has a sort of unofficial, even opinion-based, scale of the strength of post-surgery painkillers, I'd love to see it or hear more about what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Are you allergic to codeine?
I just had major surgery that was very invasive a few months back and I just went with whatever it was they suggested... (I don't even recall what it was)
I didn't need anything stronger after I was released from the hospital other than ibuprofen.
You may fair better than you think with the pain and not need "the big guns"
Good health to you!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Are you allergic to codeine?
I just had major surgery that was very invasive a few months back and I just went with whatever it was they suggested... (I don't even recall what it was)
I didn't need anything stronger after I was released from the hospital other than ibuprofen.
You may fair better than you think with the pain and not need "the big guns"
Good health to you!
Thanks for your response. Like many people, I once had a pretty nasty reaction to Codeine. From what I am told, it is less of an allergic reaction and more of a side effect...and evidently it happens to a lot of people. All I know is that I hated it. I was nauseous for what seemed like hours.

I will be doing much of my recovery at home and I am afraid not to ask for something that is strong, just to have it on hand in case I need it. I would hate to be out of the hospital and recovering at home and suddenly find that I need something stronger than ibuprofen. Plus, I don't think that they are suggesting I take ibuprofen for several days.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:06 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Most of the time, your doctor will prescribe Percocet. This is a combination of oxycodone (for pain) and acetaminophen (for inflammation). It is very potent and under prolonged use could be habit forming. I usually am prescribed this after my C-sections and a rotator cuff repair surgery (very invasive) but after once trying it found it to be too much for me. I get a "hangover" from it the next day...not entirely a bad thing if your threshold for pain is low, which mine isn't. I find that I can tolerate Vicodin better (hydrocodone and acetaminiophen). Controls the pain sufficiently without the prolonged drowsiness that I experience from Percocet. If you are infused with morphine during the procedure, it will be sometime before it wears out so you should be happily pain free for a while. I am allergic to morphine so I ask for dilaudid instead.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Say no to Celebrex.

Painkiller may prevent adhesions after surgery - The Boston Globe

I don't think it works very well at all for one. And hurt my chest when I took it. It has been linked to heart damage issues too as well as the adhesion problems linked.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Are Percoset and Vicodin stronger than Demerol? I am just trying to get a sense for what they may be like, based on what I have taken.

From what I understand, I don't think that they would try and prescribe Celebrex for me as a post-surgery pain-killer, but thanks for the warning about it. I shouldn't need anything long-term...just for the first several days.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
No, percocet and Vicodin are not as strong as Demerol, but Demerol is rarely prescribed on an outpatient basis. If your procedure is truly "invasive" then you will stay in the hospital for a day or two and they will get your pain under control prior to your discharge. If you are having laparoscopic surgery, which is considered minimally invasive, you won't need anything stronger than Percocet or Vicodin for a day or so. Then patients generally switch to ibuprofen - acetominophen does not actually have an anti-inflammatory effect.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
No, percocet and Vicodin are not as strong as Demerol, but Demerol is rarely prescribed on an outpatient basis. If your procedure is truly "invasive" then you will stay in the hospital for a day or two and they will get your pain under control prior to your discharge. If you are having laparoscopic surgery, which is considered minimally invasive, you won't need anything stronger than Percocet or Vicodin for a day or so. Then patients generally switch to ibuprofen - acetominophen does not actually have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Ok. This is good to know. I am actually not having laparoscopic surgery, but I will ask them about Percocet and Vicodin. The problem is that I don't know which is stronger or if one makes you feel differently than the other...and they are asking me to more or less name my painkiller of choice.

Also, as acetominophen is contained in the narcotics you named, do the same scary heart-failure issues related to Tylenol apply?

Plus, it seems so funny to me that my oral surgeon was quick to prescribe me 30 pills of Demerol/50mg if it is rarely prescribed on an outpatient basis. What I am having done tomorrow is much bigger than my oral surgery. In fact, I figured that Demerol must not be very potent since it was my oral surgeon who prescribed it for me. I figured that there are stronger painkillers that are better for people that are having surgeries.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Well with oral surgery I know you can risk nerve damage...Maybe thats why he just went with that? I think that would be extremely painful to deal with right in that area. I think percocets make you more out of it than vicodin ES. I tried those two. The percocets made me want to go to sleep but everyone has different reactions to meds. I forget if it was peach or pink (percocets) and I did notice that addictive feel to the percocet. (felt irritable slightly after not having it, like quitting caffine or ciggs)

Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM

p.s. I guess they are linked to deaths:

Percocet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"FDA advisory panel recommended that Percocet and another painkiller, Vicodin be removed from the market because of their contributions to an alleged 400 acetaminophen related deaths in the United States each year."

I personally think that is because people abuse them and OTC meds. I did not feel sick or bad from those like the celebrex.(other than that withdrawal feeling)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness