Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Fruit is very calorie dense and contains a lot of natural sugars. You would be well advised to concentrate on eating a diet of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts and seeds and vegetable oils, seventy-five percent raw, and preferably organic. You should eat no more than 3 ounces of meat twice a week and no diary products. I understand that having a hypoactive thyroid can make weight loss more difficult, but masking the symptoms with drugs is not the way to go. You can stabilize your condition by eating a good, healthy diet with no processed foods. Drugs are poison. Now if your thyroid was not functioning AT ALL, that would be a different story.

20yrsinBranson
I like most of your post Branson, but I was seeing a famous herbalist for two years and could not really lose weight with my hypothyroidism unless i stayed on a low carb diet, which is the way to go i guess. it isn't easy to diet all the time.

also, i was constantly tired, but then i decided to finally do something i began taking a natural thyroid, not the synthetic which do not work and which can cause osteoporosis. i also take iodine with selinium. if you take iodine you can make your condition worse if you have hashimotos, but they have found that taking selinium along with it prevents that problem from occuring. most doctors say that you can never cure your thyroid problem, but i am still trying. also staying off soy products is a must.

P.S. synthetic thyroid only has T4 in it and you need T3 as well, which armour and other natural thyroid meds have.

http://www.doctorsaredangerous.com/i..._illnesses.htm sythetic thyroid and osteoporosis. (I have read this elsewhere as well.)

the book, stop the thyroid madness is a good read.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-01-2010 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I like most of your post Branson, but I was seeing a famous herbalist for two years and could not really lose weight with my hypothyroidism unless i stayed on a low carb diet, which is the way to go i guess. it isn't easy to diet all the time.

also, i was constantly tired, but then i decided to finally do something i began taking a natural thyroid, not the synthetic which do not work and which can cause osteoporosis. i also take iodine with selinium. if you take iodine you can make your condition worse if you have hashimotos, but they have found that taking selinium along with it prevents that problem from occuring. most doctors say that you can never cure your thyroid problem, but i am still trying. also staying off soy products is a must.

P.S. synthetic thyroid only has T4 in it and you need T3 as well, which armour and other natural thyroid meds have.

Adrenal Insufficiency - Synthetic Thyroid Medication Leads to Osteoporosis by Elaine Hollingsworth. sythetic thyroid and osteoporosis. (I have read this elsewhere as well.)

the book, stop the thyroid madness is a good read.
Not everyone needs T3

Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
that may be true, but most people feel better on armour or other naturdal thyroid.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
The theory goes that the body will convert the T4 into T3 when needed. However, one has to wonder if a body is sluggish due to having hypothyroidism, is the body is converting effectively?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Not everyone needs T3
How would you determine someone doesn't need T3?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post

staying off soy products is a must.

Yes, your body converts T4 to T3, if you're lucky, that is....mine used to but then stopped after 6 weeks after surgery.

The body's balance between T4 and T3 is tricky. My endocrinologist and I work together constantly (every 6-8 weeks) since my levels have yet to be ideal 1 year post total thyroidectomy.
Since I did not have thyroid disease prior to being diagnosed toxic hyperthyroid, I have no baseline to go on, unlike my friend who had Hashimoto's for years prior to her total thyroidectomy.
Her levels were remedied pretty quickly due to her having a baseline....everyone is different.

Has the OP ever returned to clarify wether or not she has Hashimoto's?

Last edited by bellalunatic; 04-05-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
How would you determine someone doesn't need T3?
Good Question...... By going to a endocrinologist and they will test for it. That is who found mine and I now take T3 in a very low dose. She first tried me on Armour my body did not like it at all people think this is the miracle pill of the thyroid pills it is not!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Good Question...... By going to a endocrinologist and they will test for it. That is who found mine and I now take T3 in a very low dose. She first tried me on Armour my body did not like it at all people think this is the miracle pill of the thyroid pills it is not!
I think some people run with that whole, "It's natural, therefore better for you than synthetic drugs" but frankly Armour is dessicated pig thyroid hormone, and who the heck knows what health state of the possibly hundreds of pigs (per dosage) we're talking about??
Personally, that's the part that freaks me out the most about it.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
I've been taking full replacement for 10 yrs, Had my thyroid tested in Jan.
it was 300...normal range is 5.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I think some people run with that whole, "It's natural, therefore better for you than synthetic drugs" but frankly Armour is dessicated pig thyroid hormone, and who the heck knows what health state of the possibly hundreds of pigs (per dosage) we're talking about??
Personally, that's the part that freaks me out the most about it.

Dosage is also part of the problem it is not consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness