Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this once a year treatment for Osteoporosis? This drug is also used for Rheumatoid Arthritis..It has been prescribed for me because I had some reaction to Boniva and Actonel..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Um, I don't think Reclast and Remicade are the same thing.

I've had Remicade infusions in the past when I was first thought to have Reumatoid Arthritis. You receive Remicade infusions once every six weeks -- it's an anti-TNF inhibitor to keep down joint inflammation and damage. I have osteoporosis, too, and I still had to take a med. for that.

Edited to add:
I just looked it up and no, Reclast has nothing to do with Remicade or RA. It's strictly an osteoporosis med.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I used to work for an Arthritis Center and the Remicade infusions were done for people with Sever RA. I, myself have RA but have not gone to the biologics. I am supposed to be taking Methotrexate but am without insurance right now. I have not heard of taking this for Osteo..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Hmmm..I am thinking that the secretary or nurse stuck the orders for the Remicade infusion by mistake (instead of the reclast) for the infusion center in with my prescription for Reclast..I just googled Remicade and that plus Teatimes post made me go check my orders..Thanks guys. I will call the Doctor in the morning, because I have an appt for the reclast infusion for Wednesday AM..Sure don't want the Remicade/Reclast mixed together Thanks again for calling that to my attention, guys..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Don't worry, Blue. There's a protocol they need to follow before starting someone on Remicade. I know I had to have a TB test done and a negative result plus something else (can't remember). Plus, Remicade is SUPER expensive and they need insurance approval, which can take a little while sometimes.

They would never mix 'em together! I think you'll be fine but do call and check to put your mind at ease. Let us know how it goes, too, if you would! My latest Dexa-Scan came back really bad (I went from Osteoporosis to Severe Osteoporosis with great fracture risk!) and I'm only 43!!!! My rheumatologist might want to go aggressive, too, as long as Reclast doesn't worsen my Lupus.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I used to work for an Arthritis Center and the Remicade infusions were done for people with Sever RA. I, myself have RA but have not gone to the biologics. I am supposed to be taking Methotrexate but am without insurance right now. I have not heard of taking this for Osteo..
Methotrexate is super-cheap in the pill form! (I don't know if you were doing the pills or injections.) With the stores' pharmacy deals, you could probably get a three-months supply of the pills at Kmart for $15. (Kmart seems to have a better list of $5/month drugs, I've found, and I'm in auto-immune hell, too!). Do check! Plaquenil is another cheap auto-immune drug. That's one of my meds for Lupus but I know folks with RA who take it, too.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 AM

[quote=teatime;5885975 My latest Dexa-Scan came back really bad (I went from Osteoporosis to Severe Osteoporosis with great fracture risk!) and I'm only 43!!!! My rheumatologist might want to go aggressive, too, as long as Reclast doesn't worsen my Lupus.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the reassurance ,Teatime..I am new to all this "sick old age) stuff"..It really hurts to see someone as young as you with so many health issues I really hope you see better days ahead..

Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Methotrexate is super-cheap in the pill form! (I don't know if you were doing the pills or injections.) With the stores' pharmacy deals, you could probably get a three-months supply of the pills at Kmart for $15. (Kmart seems to have a better list of $5/month drugs, I've found, and I'm in auto-immune hell, too!). Do check! Plaquenil is another cheap auto-immune drug. That's one of my meds for Lupus but I know folks with RA who take it, too.
The problem with that is I am not working right now and the meds for my epilepsy are more impt that I get than the RA. Plaquenil did not do well with me. Side effects.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,029 times
Does anyone know if you should have Reclast once a year treatment while taking methotrexate

Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM

25 posts, read 74,624 times
Smile Methotrexate and Reclast

I've been on Methotrexate since January, Plaquinal, Prednisone, Folic Acid. I'm getting Reclast infusion 4/13. The Meth, Plaq, Pred and Folic Acid were for the RA flair up. the Reclast is because my bone density is bad. I don't think the Rheumatologist would give the Reclast IV if it was a danger with the Meth. (you never know though).

I'll let you know how I am in April. Have a great evening. Connie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness