Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The Masons are bastards but it's not because they steal cornerstones or make grand plots.
I guess you are referring to these "bastards":

George Washington - the father of our Country

Benjamin Franklin - Founding father, inventor, statesman, first postmaster general

Andrew Jackson - "Old Hickory" hero of the battle of New Orleans and President

Patrick Henry - patriot

Paul Revere - patriot and silversmith

Theodore Roosevelt - Hero of the Battle of San Juan Hill, author, President

Sam Houston - first President of the Republic of Texas

Francis Scott Key - wrote "The Star Spangled Banner" our National Anthem

and how about some of these US Presidents: William Howard Taft, James Buchanan, Gerald Ford, Lyndon B. Johnson, Harry S. Truman ...

or, these famous Americans: Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), Davey Crockett, John Philip Sousa, John Glenn, Booker T. Washington, John "The Duke" Wayne, Duke Ellington, Henry Ford, Ty Cobb, Count Bassie, Jack Dempsey, General Douglas MacArthur ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Right....Freemasons do NOT recruit.

It's not as if all Masons wear a tattoo on their forehead to know who is or isn't a Mason....so how could they treat non-Mason's as "marks"?

If you are discriminated against for any such reeason, the USA has laws to prevent that.

Well yeah, they do recruit despite your assertion to the contrary. As Christine Keeler said "What do you expect him to say".

Masons often wear rings to display their membership and are known to "flash the ring" in supplication. When I was in a position of power I ran into out of towners who didn't know me flashing the ring at me; often such guys got the worst job I had and the first lay-off. Masons also have secret gestures and phrases to recognize each other by.

Discrimination is illegal when done on account of race, ethnicity and gender. A person's not being a Mason is probably a legal reason to discriminate against them.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I guess you are referring to these "bastards":..............

Yeah, quite a few of those people were right proper bastards; no doubt.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Well yeah, they do recruit despite your assertion to the contrary
That is strictly against their rules.

Quote:
Discrimination is illegal when done on account of race, ethnicity and gender. A person's not being a Mason is probably a legal reason to discriminate against them.
Are you serious? Not being a Mason, elk, Moose, Rotarian, etc certainly is NOT a legal grounds to discriminate!!

From your replies and your quickness to call so many people (and a whole group of people you haven't possibly any chance to know) all Ba%#ards, methinks it's you with the problem. Did they turn you down for being such an opinionated jerk or something?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
That is strictly against their rules.
So you assert. But then since the Masons are a secret society.....

Quote:
Are you serious? Not being a Mason, elk, Moose, Rotarian, etc certainly is NOT a legal grounds to discriminate!!
There are forms of discrimination that are illegal---racial, ethnic, religious and gender. And in some circumstances age and handicaps are protected. If discrimination by club membership or lack of it is prohibited you'll have to show me more than a repeat of a previous assertion.

Quote:
From your replies and your quickness to call so many people (and a whole group of people you haven't possibly any chance to know) all Ba%#ards, methinks it's you with the problem. Did they turn you down for being such an opinionated jerk or something?
Seems you just accepted my assertion the Masons recruit. Nobody forces anyone to join the Masons; if such people are bastards it's by choice. As conservatives are so fond of saying people have to be responsible for their actions and pay the consequences. One of those consequences (and a rather inconsequential one at that) is to be considered a bastard by me. They'll get by.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
In my opinion George Washington was not a bastard. Benjamin Franklin was not a bastard. Paul Revere was not a bastard. Duke Ellington was not a bastard. Mark Twain was not a bastard. Booker T. Washington was not a bastard.

However I think there is someone posting in this thread that is so contemptible that "bastard" is too much of a compliment.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Re. recruiting: I've been asked on two separate occasions by two different individuals to join. I politely declined on both offers. Nothing against them really, except maybe those silly looking ceremonial belts.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
OK, this is the 28th post, besides the recruitment and the discrimination bashes on the Masons lets get back to the OP.

Where are the cornerstones?

Research on the web does not corroborate the statement:
Quote:
In 1993, during the Clinton administration, it was announced that the cornerstone had been found just in time for the bi-centennial of the US Capitol
See the following: (as of 12/3/2010)

Brad Meltzer’s DECODED – Missing White House Cornerstone Mystery » Right Juris

"They think", "plausible explanation" ~ Still sounds like no-one knows where it is... i.e. it's still missing

Crap people, you wanna argue over the Masons? Start a new thread please....

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So you assert. But then since the Masons are a secret society.....
I know enough Masons to know this fact.

From a website called Joining Freemasonry:

[LEFT]"Own Free Will and Accord"[/LEFT]
[LEFT]You won't find recruiting posters or 'membership bars' on a medal although one jurisdiction has put 'advertisements' on various web locations including search engines like Google. Masons simply don't get awards for bringing in new members. It's a voluntary organization, sought out by those with a positive impression of the organization.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Masonic membership has always been an intensely personal experience and in times when "feelings" weren't discussed publicly by men, the need for a person to ask for membership was often not communicated to those who might otherwise be interested in the fraternity. Accordingly, there are many who became Masons much later in life than necessary: they had thought the proper thing to do was to wait to be asked to join![/LEFT]
[LEFT]Some grand jurisdictions, recognizing the problem arising from false perceptions ("I must be asked to join such a good organization."), have begun to loosen prior strict prohibitions. They may now have a provision for Masons to let those who they may feel would be appropriate candidates know that they are 'welcomed' to join. This does not, however, in any way mitigate or diminish the requirement that a man make the choice to join under his 'own free will and accord' not actuated by unworthy motives![/LEFT]

Quote:
There are forms of discrimination that are illegal---racial, ethnic, religious and gender. And in some circumstances age and handicaps are protected. If discrimination by club membership or lack of it is prohibited you'll have to show me more than a repeat of a previous assertion.
This would fall under the Equal Rights in the workplace laws.

Quote:
Seems you just accepted my assertion the Masons recruit. Nobody forces anyone to join the Masons; if such people are bastards it's by choice. As conservatives are so fond of saying people have to be responsible for their actions and pay the consequences. One of those consequences (and a rather inconsequential one at that) is to be considered a bastard by me. They'll get by.
Actually I said you must have been turned down for membership. That means that you asked to join and they blackballed you.

And you still continue to paint all Masons with broad brush which everyone knows is a automatic lack of credibility.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Research on the web does not corroborate the statement

From an article called Romancing the Cornerstone:

Quote:
But two years later, in 1993, then-Capitol Architect, George M. White, felt the immense political pressures of the Capitol’s nearing bicentennial closing in on him.
Suddenly and remarkably, the Washington cornerstone was announced “found” in the face of all previous failed attempts. It was claimed to be composed of gray granite.
Miraculously…and suspiciously after missing for 200 years… the Washington cornerstone was “discovered” just weeks before the celebration of the U.S. Capitol’s 200-year anniversary, in which President Clinton participated.
Great detail was given to the description of the newly found cornerstone. Then-U.S. Capitol Historian, William Allen, pronounced to The Associated Press that the stone was, “well cut, its edges are square … it shows a promising level of finesse.” The Architect’s office also produced a lengthy report in October 1993 detailing the discovery of the long-lost stone.
Written at the time, “The Architect of the Capitol believes it is in fact the ‘missing’ stone,” in a book, The Search for the Capitol Cornerstone.
That was then when a stone was needed for the 200th anniversary.

I'm not saying it IS the cornerstone, just that they once claimed they had found it in 1993.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History