Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
On the other hand, Irish are not even considered foreigners in Spanish/French countries.
As the former Spanish embassador in Ireland said, Irish are Spanish without sun and without wine (well, they have Guiness).

The affinity the Irish and Spanish have for each other is well known and the Irish in America extend it to the Mexicans as well (I know many Irish-Mexican marriages here in Chicago including two first cousins married to Mexican-Americans).

The Spanish were the only nation that tried to help the Tyrone fight off Elizabeth and the English and I'm sure you know of the San Patricios who fought for Mexico in the Mexican-American War.

And that the Spanish officers who designed and built the fortifcations of San Juan Puerto Rico were O'Reilly and O'Daley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
-------------------

Spanish settlers in New Mexico arrived directly from Spain (Western Europe) during the XVIIIth Century (reign of Charles III). It was a measure that emanated from Illustration.
Since modern-day New Mexico doesn't have a seacoast, and since air travel wasn't even invented until the mid-20th Century, they did not "arrive directly from Spain". They crossed from Spain to the New World by ship, typically landing in modern-day Mexico, and subsequently emigrating northward. Therefore, they "came from the South."

Quote:
They still live happily around Taos. I read a feature about them in National Geographic. They all look very Spanish. They live away from the rest of communities.
Yes, I have seen and visited with them. There is also a large group of very Spanish-looking people in Greater Los Angeles. Their families have been here far longer than most Anglos...

BTW, my father-in-law's family came to the New World from Spain in the early 20th Century. If you've seen the movie Pan's Labyrinth, the man who played the Spanish commandant is a dead ringer for my father-in-law. One of the female actors was a dead-ringer for my wife's Aunt Mercedes. (But my father-in-law and aunt-in-law had much better senses of humor... )

Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Since modern-day New Mexico doesn't have a seacoast, and since air travel wasn't even invented until the mid-20th Century, they did not "arrive directly from Spain". They crossed from Spain to the New World by ship, typically landing in modern-day Mexico, and subsequently emigrating northward. Therefore, they "came from the South."

Yes, I have seen and visited with them. There is also a large group of very Spanish-looking people in Greater Los Angeles. Their families have been here far longer than most Anglos...

BTW, my father-in-law's family came to the New World from Spain in the early 20th Century. If you've seen the movie Pan's Labyrinth, the man who played the Spanish commandant is a dead ringer for my father-in-law. One of the female actors was a dead-ringer for my wife's Aunt Mercedes. (But my father-in-law and aunt-in-law had much better senses of humor... )

Good account of the trip from south to north here:
New Mexico Genealogical Society

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
New Mexico Office of the State Historian : Taos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History