Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Through the eyes of Antlered Chamataka, the history geek, whose senses were assaulted in a good way for a good 6 hours

Let's begin from the Greek/Roman sculpture section. I didn't finish the whole museum, perhaps next week, but I need to make at least 10 more trips to maximize returns And next 10 times, I may have to go alone so I can have the "freedom" to explore the female figurines of the displays LOL.

There's gonnabe a lot of boobs and bums. You know me

Mods, please don't move this thread to the NY board. I wonder if they can appreciate history over there.

That's Marcus Aurelius Couldn't find Augustus, Trajan and Titus, my favourites, or perhaps I wasn't paying attention and missed them, I don't know. I'd have wept had I seen Augustus though

Flickr: thehappyprince's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/thehappyprince - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm having flickr upload issues. Will put out the whole album soon.

I didn't cover Byzantine art. Perhaps next week. That's the most important part in fact

Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
The female models for those sculptures sure were well fed.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

They are mind blowing. I walked so much that I am stuck at home today and my legs feel like they are broke and gone. I am fancying the thought of catching a train in the next hour or so and finish the Byzantine part, which I am itching to see. There simply wasn't enough time and they closed it, before we could get there

Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Thanks so much for posting those Chamy. That section is new isn't it? (Trying to remember what was in the NY Times.) Anyway, well done.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Great pictures. Sculpture has always been one of my favorite forms of art. It just seems so much more real compared to paintings. If you ever have the chance, you need to get the Louvre and then explore the galleries in Florence. If you can only do one, pick Florence. I also like your taste in Roman Emperors, lol.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thanks so much for posting those Chamy. That section is new isn't it? (Trying to remember what was in the NY Times.) Anyway, well done.
You're most welcome, Dew

Yes, it appears to be new and they have some new displays. You see those three graces, I was on the hunt for finding Rubens' three graces, but I wonder if it's available in America at all.

I still haven't made my second trip. My friend lives in upper east side and she says she knows someone through some NY club who can subsidize the entry fee for me, via her network. Each trip would be like 25 bucks, and if I really want to make 10 more, like I'm planning, it would be like 250 And I had three chicken noodle soup cups, five bucks each, and mac and cheese, seven bucks. It's outrageous, and I was getting weak with all the walking, and I got some stuff from the shops inside... so the day's final bill was like 67 bucks. So I need a subsidy on the entry fee, or I'll end up spending a thousand.

There's one thing I'm itching to come home with, caravaggio's the calling of Matthew, it was a huge picture and the price on it was close to 500. I could hang it in my living room and explore it. It's a powerful picture. I say, POWERFUL One can almost feel the power and nuke radiation that goes towards Matthew from Christ's index finger. This one is small, but the one one in the shop is a reproduced version that could be as big as a 60 inch flat tv or slightly larger.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

And I have to be alone. I was nervous the girl who was with me will think I'm some bum pervert or something coz I was snapping too many pictures of the buns of all the female displays LMAO

They weren't peacefully taken pictures. They were taken in haste as she was busy with her own camera. I also need a tripod. It's somewhat stressful.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Great pictures. Sculpture has always been one of my favorite forms of art. It just seems so much more real compared to paintings. If you ever have the chance, you need to get the Louvre and then explore the galleries in Florence. If you can only do one, pick Florence. I also like your taste in Roman Emperors, lol.
I went to Louvre when I was 12. Sadly, I wasn't aesthetically mature to spend 10 hours inside. It was like a trip to the fair for a little boy

I remember Les Invalides though, very strongly, coz I was a Bonaparte geek even back then. I went to a French school since 3 and Bonaparte indoctrination starts from a very young age LOL.

Florence.... I'll definitely cry when I see that cathedral built by Brunellesci. Have you ever heard of the legend behind that dome? It wasn't built for decades until Brunellesci came by, and laid the last few bricks himself, personally coz others were afraid to do it at that altitude. He was crazy too.

Might I also add Aurelian and Probus to the list coz of their virtues of tightening the later Empire, though I don't admire them like the other three

Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I went to Louvre when I was 12. Sadly, I wasn't aesthetically mature to spend 10 hours inside. It was like a trip to the fair for a little boy

I remember Les Invalides though, very strongly, coz I was a Bonaparte geek even back then. I went to a French school since 3 and Bonaparte indoctrination starts from a very young age LOL.

Florence.... I'll definitely cry when I see that cathedral built by Brunellesci. Have you ever heard of the legend behind that dome? It wasn't built for decades until Brunellesci came by, and laid the last few bricks himself, personally coz others were afraid to do it at that altitude. He was crazy too.

Might I also add Aurelian and Probus to the list coz of their virtues of tightening the later Empire, though I don't admire them like the other three
I did hear of the legend while we were at The Duomo. As well as how he kept his workers sitting in the dome even during breaks so that they wouldn't exhaust themselves going up and down the steps. I have to say it is one of the most impressive cathedrals in all of Europe and I've been to a lot of them, lol.

I was fortunate as the last time I was there they were doing restoration work on the dome and from the ground floor you could look through a telescope they had setup and see one of the internal chain "hoops" that Brunellesci used to keep the dome from falling apart in place of the common "flying buttresses" that had been banned in Florentine architecture. Most impressive is the fact that the mathematical forces in play and laws of physics involved in the building that had to be overcome were not discovered until centuries after Brunellesci did it.

While the cathedral is certainly impressive, I was rather taken with the Baptistry in the plaza and the bronze doors. They date back to the late 1300's and early 1400's and are considered "proto-Renaissance" as many of the great masters were inspired by them. Here is the set known as the "Gates of Paradise" as named by Michelangelo. It took the artchitect and his team 27 YEARS to carve these doors.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History