Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

I've actually been rather interested in Perun and I've always adored any stories about him.

epika.org/house-of-mythology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,068 times

Slavs are Orthodox Christians and will remain Orthodox Christians.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM

744 posts, read 812,097 times
These are pagan Russians

ARKONA - Slavsia, Rus - YouTube

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,068 times

First the antichrists tried to destroy Orthodox Christianity via atheist bolshevism...
then via western degeneracy and perversion... now with paganism ??

Russians are the God-bearing People. No matter what the antichrists do to try
to destroy them... they will endure to resurrect Christian Orthodoxy.

As Vladimir Putin recently said: " Victory is in our genes, in our genetic code... "

Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batista Petrov View Post
I've actually been rather interested in Perun and I've always adored any stories about him.

epika.org/house-of-mythology
Then you might find this read interesting...
( let me re-post it from the World Forum;

http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/Rus...d+Christianity

And this excerpt from Wikipedia is quite interesting as well;

Folklore traces

As various Slavic populations were Christianised between the 7th and 12th centuries, Christianity was introduced as a religion of the elite, flourishing mostly in cities and amongst the nobility. Amongst the rural majority of the medieval Slavic population, old myths remained strong. Christian priests and monks in Slavic countries, particularly in Russia, for centuries fought against the phenomenon called dvoeverie (double faith). On the one hand, peasants and farmers eagerly accepted baptism, masses and the new Christian holidays. On the other hand, they still persisted performing ancient rites and worshiping old pagan cults, even when the ancient deities and myths on which those were based were forgotten.
This was because, from a perspective of the Slavic peasant, Christianity was not a replacement of old Slavic mythology, but rather an addition to it. Christianity may have offered a hope of salvation, and of blissful afterlife in the next world, but for survival in this world, for yearly harvest and protection of cattle, the old religious system with its fertility rites, its protective deities, and its household spirits was taken to be necessary. This was a problem the Christian church never really solved; at best, it could offer a Christian saint or martyr to replace the pagan deity of a certain cult, but the cult itself thrived, as did the mythological view of the world through which natural phenomena were explained

Slavic mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Russians were striving for double protection from any gods out there that were available.
And taking in consideration Russian history, they probably needed it..

Last edited by erasure; 04-01-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:43 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

First the antichrists tried to destroy Orthodox Christianity via atheist bolshevism...
then via western degeneracy and perversion... now with paganism ??

Russians are the God-bearing People. No matter what the antichrists do to try
to destroy them... they will endure to resurrect Christian Orthodoxy.

As Vladimir Putin recently said: " Victory is in our genes, in our genetic code... "

Was he laughing so hard that he fell down on his ass as he made this statement? He must have been, because given Russian history, this is f-ing RIDICULOUS. I love the Russians as much as the next man -- I truly do, mad love for the Slavs -- but come on.. victory ain't exactly their thing.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I love the Russians as much as the next man -- I truly do, mad love for the Slavs -- but come on.. victory ain't exactly their thing.
Why do you think so?

( I myself have very controversial feelings about Russians, but I suspect that in fact victory is their thing, regardless what Putin says ( or doesn't say.)

Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Why do you think so?

( I myself have very controversial feelings about Russians, but I suspect that in fact victory is their thing, regardless what Putin says ( or doesn't say.)
The Slavs were an extremely passive people who refused to fight for their own existence, so they were invaded and dominated by the Mongols. They paid tribute and were pretty much a Mongol b**** for a long time. Then, they came out from under that; the Mongol domination had broken their passiveness and gave them a legacy of corruption and brutality. Still, they were a two-bit player in Europe.. they recognized they were second tier and looked toward stronger nations for cultural guidance. Their church comes from the Greeks. For a long time, up until modern times, their elite spoke French -- many of whom did not even speak Russian. Their highpoint in world dominance was the Soviet era, which crumbled in fewer than 80 years because they couldnt' build a system that was sustainable.

Russian history and culture fascinate me. I truly do love the Slavs.... but victory being their legacy? Uh.. no. Can't say that's a true statement.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The Slavs were an extremely passive people who refused to fight for their own existence, so they were invaded and dominated by the Mongols. They paid tribute and were pretty much a Mongol b**** for a long time. Then, they came out from under that;
People don't cease to surprise me, but before I get into history, just answer a simple question please - how did they ( Russians) "came out from under it?"
What happened there? Why did they not remain part of Tatar's empire forever?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
The Slavs were an extremely passive people who refused to fight for their own existence, so they were invaded and dominated by the Mongols. They paid tribute and were pretty much a Mongol b**** for a long time. Then, they came out from under that; the Mongol domination had broken their passiveness and gave them a legacy of corruption and brutality. Still, they were a two-bit player in Europe.. they recognized they were second tier and looked toward stronger nations for cultural guidance. Their church comes from the Greeks. For a long time, up until modern times, their elite spoke French -- many of whom did not even speak Russian. Their highpoint in world dominance was the Soviet era, which crumbled in fewer than 80 years because they couldnt' build a system that was sustainable.

Russian history and culture fascinate me. I truly do love the Slavs.... but victory being their legacy? Uh.. no. Can't say that's a true statement.
Uhh what? I don't think you are knowledgeable enough about Russian history to make comments such as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History