Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am not sure why people are so outraged over it. We did it so it must be okay.... Because we can't do no wrong.

Most people have an American centric view of history and little knowledge on that era other than the US fought with Japan and then dropped some nukes on them for no reason.

Anyone that doesn't know about his event, really doesn't have the information needed to have a strong opinion on the topic. Probably less than 10% of the people that post to A-bomb threads have even heard of this. (Key point is to look at the dates. The first person to show up with the "they were trying to surrender via Russia tired excuse is going to look like an idiot.)

Soviet invasion of Manchuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hint: Japanese deaths from this were 3-4x higher than the COMBINED bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

P.S. Japan waited another 6 days after the 2nd atomic bombing to surrender....not knowing how many more the US had. Basically, once they found out their Manchurian army got annihilated THEN they'd had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I think it also had the side benefit of keeping the Russians out of Japan. If we had to invade I'm sure there would have been pressure put on Russia to open a second northern invasion once our casualties had reach a certain level. Can you imagine what a divided Japan would have been like?
Japan was VERY lucky not to have had to endure an occupation by any of their neighbors. The payback, brutality etc. would have been unimaginably epic. The Japanese killed about 1 million Chinese EACH YEAR of an occupation that started in the early 1930's....my friend from China gets kinda p*ssed off when he hears people crying about 250,000 nuked Japanese when they killed about 40x as many Chinese.

A lot of people just don't know much about history.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
We only had the 2 bombs and not enough lead time to make more in a hurried fashion.
Completely false. The bombs were built in two parts: assembly and core. A third assembly was already at Tinian island when the first two were dropped and a third complete core was being readied for shipment from Los Alamos. From there, the US had the ability to produce another 12 bombs over the next two months before settling into a production run of one bomb every ten days ad infinitum. If the first two bombs were not enough to force a surrender, the remaining stockpiles were going to be used to destroy troop concentrations prior to an invasion. At the time the bombs were dropped, they were the only two immediately available, but that does not mean they were the only bombs we had or could produce.

Quote:
The Sheiks were already beginning to demand gold for oil and the war bond effort, while effective, may not have been enough to prolong the war another year or two.
The whole "Sheiks demanding gold for oil" line comes from the movie "Flags of Our Fathers", but isn't true. The US was the largest oil producer in the world during WW2 and supplied not only enough for our own needs, but those of most of our allies as well. WW2 saw the seeds of our "special relationship" with Saudi Arabia, but the major oil finds there did not happen until after the war. The US certainly recognized the future strategic importance of oil in pursuing influence in the Middle East, but there was no "gold for oil" program in WW2 that was draining our coffers.

The war bond drive and the overall national finances were certainly strained. The US needed to end the war and quickly, because it was doubtful the homefront would support another 12-18 months of fighting before demanding a negotiated surrender with a virtually defeated enemy.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Celebrating a grim necessity is just sick.

Simply celebrate VJ day when they signed the surrender. Problem solved without looking like a wackaloon.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
I never understood why we had to bomb Nagasaki after bombing Hiroshima. I think they got the hint after the first bomb

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM

414 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I never understood why we had to bomb Nagasaki after bombing Hiroshima. I think they got the hint after the first bomb
No they didn't get the hint. In fact Truman was just about to give a order to drop a third bomb on another city after hearing nothing after bombing Nagasaki.

Last edited by Jesus Christ Superstar; 08-06-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Proud of killing innocent people?
Patriotism is linked to killing innocent people?
I agree. It is sad.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
For millions of Americans and I, August 6 is a patriotic day to celebrate the nuking of Hiroshima, Japan that started events for the Japanese to surrender unconditionally to the United States resulting in the ending WW2. Col Paul Tibbets and his crew should be commended for a job well done using expert marksmanship dropping the Atomic Bomb towards the center of Hiroshima, a breeder city of murderous Japanese soldiers who killed, maimed and tortured countless American soldiers and civilians. It had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and military factories that hadn't been bombed by conventional means. This grateful day blessed by God 67 years ago also showed the world that the United States would be a force to be reckoned with for we were now a world Superpower. You know, many American soldiers lives were spared by President Truman deciding to vaporize Hiroshima and it's citizens because his other choice would have been a invasion of Japan resulting in estimates of a million U.S. soldiers deaths. If that would have occured. many of us wouldn't be here today. In closing, do your duty as a American citizen and remind people today of this event in order to celebrate American pride, patriotism and military might. I know I will.

The Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

You are one sick ****.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I agree. It is sad.
We can't "celebrate" the deaths of so many people, regardless of the cause or result.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
I don't think many Americans celebrate this............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History