Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Well, for one there was no internet, so when we all wanted to discuss the scintillating topic of what daily life was like in the mid-30s and early 40s, we had to write out our thoughts by hand and send them via snail mail.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:41 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Honestly I think life back then was just as comfortable, if not more. I'd say life got pretty comfortable once the air conditioning became affordable and widespread.

We had no Internet and few electronic games but we read a whole lot more and used out imagination and spent more time playing and socializing with other kids. I had fewer toys than my kids but they were of far higher quality. Later the records were all the rage, people assembled large stereo systems piece by piece, and they were super cool and we'd spend hours listening to the music.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
A lot of what you said is pretty much right on target.

Not so sure about the dining out. Maybe slightly less back then, but it certainly wasn't unusual, and not "a rare treat".

Yes, many homes had kitchen appliances that were green or yellow.

All hail to "Abba"!

The problem with the economy in earlier decades was that it would roar back from recession and trigger serious inflation.

Humor was VERY politically INcorrect...to the max. Just go back and take a look at some of the old Dean Martin roasts and listen for the racial humor. Man, what they got away with!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:09 AM

862 posts, read 1,197,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Humor was VERY politically INcorrect...to the max. Just go back and take a look at some of the old Dean Martin roasts and listen for the racial humor. Man, what they got away with!
VERY true !!

Everything and anything pretty much was a target when it came to jokes and such. I can still remember listening to the radio one night not long after John Lennon was murdered and hearing the dj joke "..well if the remaining Beatles ever do decide to get back together they better fix the bathroom problem since there is no JOHN !!" or had Mama Cass gave Karen Carpenter her ham sandwich both women would be alive today.

Imagine a radio dj today making a joke on the air about the deaths of Robin Williams, Paul Walker or even Whitney Houston..they would not get away with it.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

VERY true !!

Everything and anything pretty much was a target when it came to jokes and such. I can still remember listening to the radio one night not long after John Lennon was murdered and hearing the dj joke "..well if the remaining Beatles ever do decide to get back together they better fix the bathroom problem since there is no JOHN !!" or had Mama Cass gave Karen Carpenter her ham sandwich both women would be alive today.

If a radio dj today had made a joke on the air about the deaths of Robin Williams, Paul Walker or even Whitney Houston..they would not get away with it.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:30 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

One thing that no one talks about that i only have a vague recollection of is there was no lease laws for dogs!? Or maybe it was just beginning but a few just roamed free in our neighborhood and us kids usually knew them by names! It was pretty cool in that way.

Where I was there were lease laws but who was going to enforce them? If there were laws to pick up after your dogs they were not being publicized as they are now and grocery stores where still using paper bags so you didn't have a free supply of plastic bags for the job. With those being banned I do wonder if fewer people will clean up as they have to pay a bit extra for dog ownership.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
We all carried change for pay phones...LOL

Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, for one there was no internet, so when we all wanted to discuss the scintillating topic of what daily life was like in the mid-30s and early 40s, we had to write out our thoughts by hand and send them via snail mail.
No, we were at card parties, bowling leagues, social organizations and the like where these conversations took place so everything was pretty much localized and a worldwide audience was not participating. Meanwhile the talking heads TV discussions were beginning but we did not have networks which nominally took a political side and the best host did take the devil's advocate side and did not admit to funny feelings in his "leg" when the great hope spoke

Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 PM

197 posts, read 279,410 times
Gay rights, certainly in the US was quite different. There was certainly a gay rights movement, but gay marriage didn't have wide support.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
Gay rights, certainly in the US was quite different. There was certainly a gay rights movement, but gay marriage didn't have wide support.

Remembering the late 70s and early 80s the idea of legal gay marriage was so far off the radar that many folks even among many gay men and women had actually considered the idea of such a thing as a joke. My 5th grade teacher was openly gay and I can remember saying to both him and his partner "..maybe one day you two can get legally married". Not only did the two of them laugh at me for making such a comment but my teacher told me the odds are better for them to buy a house on Mars than it is for them to ever get married legally in Virginia. That was in December 1979. A few months ago they did get married and yes..in Virginia.

Last edited by tantan1968; 07-04-2015 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History