Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

The History Channel along with MGM is producing a historical drama on the Vikings of the same name. Frankly I think that it is a step forward considering the years that the History Channel has produced historical fiction posing as historical fact.

‘Vikings’ get an epic 9-part History Channel makeover - Zap2it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
If it doesn't have Janet Leigh in it I want no part of it. And who could play the witch as well as Eileen Way-----Odin! Odin! Send the wind and turn the tide! Odin!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Could be interesting... I like a good over-the-top historical epic regardless of how closely they follow the historical facts. Hopefully this isn't just an attempt to cash in on the Game of Thrones crowd...

I'm just glad that the History Channel still shows anything even remotely historical--I thought they went full-schedule into reality shows about ice road truckers or pawn shops or Cajun swamp people... I mean they never were all that great in the old days--how many times did they air that stupid Nostradamus special?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Worse...they have also launched "The Bible" which is a literal dramatic depiction of the Bible stories, not a historical examination of the Bible. The series is produced by the husband wife God Squad team of Mark Burnett (Survivor producer)and Roma Downey (Touched By An Angel.) One of the shows sponsors is Christian Mingle.com.

This blatant religious propaganda airs with no added commentary or any viewpoint other than straight forward devotion to the literal truth of the events.

In an interview, Downey, who also plays the V. Mary in the Jesus portion of the series, claimed a miracle had already taken place and blessed the production. They were shooting in the desert and the scene called for the Jesus actor to say "Do not marvel that I said to you , You must be born again. The wind blows where it wishes."

Downey said that the moment that Jesus (I think she meant the actor) said the word wind, a strong, steady unnatural wind suddenly blew across the desert.

Yup, miracle, no possible way that was a coincidence.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Downey said that the moment that Jesus (I think she meant the actor) said the word wind, a strong, steady unnatural wind suddenly blew across the desert.
It was Odin.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I watched the first two episode and I felt like I was watching a ancient version of the Sons of Anarchy. I mean it was fun but... history it ain't.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Worse...they have also launched "The Bible" which is a literal dramatic depiction of the Bible stories, not a historical examination of the Bible. The series is produced by the husband wife God Squad team of Mark Burnett (Survivor producer)and Roma Downey (Touched By An Angel.) One of the shows sponsors is Christian Mingle.com.

This blatant religious propaganda airs with no added commentary or any viewpoint other than straight forward devotion to the literal truth of the events.

In an interview, Downey, who also plays the V. Mary in the Jesus portion of the series, claimed a miracle had already taken place and blessed the production. They were shooting in the desert and the scene called for the Jesus actor to say "Do not marvel that I said to you , You must be born again. The wind blows where it wishes."

Yup, miracle, no possible way that was a coincidence.
Thank you. I was actually planning on watching this series and now, I won't waste my time.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Well, I guess I don't have an agenda, like many, but I thought both shows were decently entertaining. I don't watch tv for history, just for entertainment. Thought Abrahams slave was kinda hot, for a nomadic slave.

If these two shows fired you up, sure hope you did not see the mermaid show on Animal Planet. Geez, I can't imagine.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
The History Channel has lost all credibility in my view. Their slew of reality shows with barely any historical relevance have come to domintate their programming. It doesn't surprise me that they're putting this crap on TV - I don't care the production values, it belongs on another channel.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It was Odin.
Can't rep you, but tip o' the Grand hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History