Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

It seems that a frequent urban myth is that Romanian is the closest living language to Latin. This myth is especially promoted by Romanians.

However, these claims cannot be further from the truth, since the only criteria where Romanian would qualify is in terms of grammar. In other aspects such as phonology, vocabulary, discourse, and intonation, Italian trounces Romanian in being the closest to Latin, since Romanian is heavily influenced by Slavic languages.

According to linguist Mario Pei, he used all of these criteria to determine the closest living language to Latin, and came up with this scorecard (lower percentages indicate less deviation from Latin):
  • Sardinian - 8%
  • Italian - 12%
  • Spanish - 20%
  • Romanian - 23.5%
  • Occitan - 25%
  • Portuguese - 31%
  • French - 44%
Out of the major Romance languages, Italian is the closest to Latin and has about half the deviation from Latin that Romanian does. The closest to Latin overall is Sardinian.

So, why is the myth of Romanian being the closest living language to Latin so heavily promoted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I haven't heard the "myth" in a long time, but I know that Romanian has retained Latin style declensions while no other Romance language has. That makes Romanian grammatically very close to Latin and it also means that when one speaks Romanian they are following speech patterns and inflections that are most similar to Latin; at least as far as I understand it. There are also a handful of original Latin derived words that are preserved in Romanian that are not evident in other Romance languages. However, when it comes to vocabulary, the most similar is, as you said, Italian and/or Sardinian.

So, which is "most similar" would seem to come down to what we are measuring it against. There are certainly "Latin uniquenesses" present in Romanian, but while that perhaps makes it "special" it doesn't necessarily make it "most similar" as you have pointed out.

Just curious, why is this something you're passionate about?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Just curious, why is this something you're passionate about?
I love debunking myths is all. Mario Pei's scores are a composite evaluation using all criteria. I don't know how much weight he gave to each criteria, however, his scorecard seems to not show any bias.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
...So, why is the myth of Romanian being the closest living language to Latin so heavily promoted?
Never heard this before, much less heavily promoted.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Never heard this before, much less heavily promoted.
I've always heard it too. I think one time I heard it from a Romanian. I know nothing about their language but I loved studying Latin in high school (eons ago).

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The reason the myth worked and got circulated was because most people did not know that Romanian was a Latin-root language, so the myth was simply used as an exaggerated form of "Did you know Romanian evolved from Latin?" It seems that the only people who knew that Romanian was Latin-based were the Romanians, so they get blamed for the myth.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The reason the myth worked and got circulated was because most people did not know that Romanian was a Latin-root language, so the myth was simply used as an exaggerated form of "Did you know Romanian evolved from Latin?" It seems that the only people who knew that Romanian was Latin-based were the Romanians, so they get blamed for the myth.
This explanation makes the most sense to me. Romanian is sometimes called the forgotten Romance language.

Something similar happened in Appalachia near the end of the 19th century. It became popular to say that Appalachian English was the closest living dialect to Shakespearean English. It isn't really accurate either, but Appalachian English has some old forms.

Shakespearean English is closely associated with "received pronunciation" in many people's mind. That is categorically false as RP developed long after Shakespeare. It is just one of those easy mistakes as people think of both Shakespeare and RP as "high class".

The pronunciation of English when Shakespeare was alive is called "Original Pronunciation" which has to be inferred from spelling. Actually Shakespeare's rhymes are a good indicator, because many of them don't rhyme in modern English (British or American). So we can assume they rhymed 400 years ago.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I love debunking myths is all. Mario Pei's scores are a composite evaluation using all criteria. I don't know how much weight he gave to each criteria, however, his scorecard seems to not show any bias.
Fair enough. I had heard it stated before, but never considered it something pervasive that many people believed to be true.

Quote:
Makes sense. It may have something to do with the whole "Roman" in Romanian thing as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Furthermore, it is not justified to assert that something that is widely held is absolutely not true, merely because one authority (in this case, Mario Pei) expressed a different opinion based on a metric that cannot be empirically shown to be any more accurate or authoritative than any others.

It may well be true that in very general terms, Romanian is closer to Latin than any other language, if the subjective criteria are not those selected by Dr. Pei in his analysis. Linguistics is not an exact science, and the definition of "close" is never fully agreed upon by lingusts.

Furthermore, Pei compares the modern languages only with Classical Latin, which was not the spoken Latin that would have influenced the modern languages of farflung parts of the Roman Empire. It is quite possible that modern Romanians would have no trouble understanding the Vulgar Latin that was spoken by common people of the Roman Empire. We do not know because little is known of Vulgar Latin.

The Romanians were isolated from the rest of Late Latin speakers, so their language was not subject to the influences of evolving Italian, French or Spanish. So it is very possible that Romanian went through less evolutionary change than the other Romance languages.

The OP expresses the opinion of one linguist among many, and that opinion does not set the matter to rest. Pei's chart first appeared more than 60 years ago, and is widely quoted, but it pretends to have an exactness that is not borne out by the nature of linguistics, which cannot be measured down to a fraction of a percent, and he would be the first to tell you that.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-18-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Furthermore, it is not justified to assert that something that is widely held is absolutely not true, merely because one authority (in this case, Mario Pei) expressed a different opinion based on a metric that cannot be empirically shown to be any more accurate or authoritative than any others.

It may well be true that in very general terms, Romanian is closer to Latin than any other language, if the subjective criteria are not those selected by Dr. Pei in his analysis. Linguistics is not an exact science, and the definition of "close" is never fully agreed upon by lingusts.

The OP expresses the opinion of one linguist among many, and that opinion does not set the matter to rest.
Very true. Linguistics is something I am not versed in at all. I had, however, heard the "Romanian is closest to Latin" thing. Doing a little web searching it turned up that it is a rather ranging debate and very dependent on exactly how you want to measure it. A linguistics forum had a rather lengthy debate on the topic and seemed to come to the conclusion that I stated in my first response...

Italian/Sardinian is closest in terms of vocabulary and some phrases are nearly identical.

Romanian is closest in terms of grammar and is the only one that uses Latin declensions which means that spoken Romanian is closest to how Latin would have sounded when being spoken. Romanian also has a handful of Latin words that are simply not used in any form in other languages.

Ultimately though, I think a large part of the debate is that people simply don't really know what Latin is supposed to sound like and how it was really spoken. What we have are basically educated guesses. The only modern extensive use of Latin (beyond medical, scientific and legal terms) is in the Catholic Church. Even there it is not considered to be actually Latin, but a derivative of "High Latin" known as "Ecclesiastical Latin". "Church Latin" is what people are taught in school if they take Latin. The romance languages descended from "Vulgar Latin" and that is what the people of Rome would have spoken. Chances are if we took someone fluent in modern "Church Latin" and transported them back to ancient Rome, they most likely wouldn't be able to converse with anyone or at the very least they would sound incredibly strange to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History