Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 PM

342 posts, read 571,043 times

Advertisements

That depends on what kind of victory it was. Do the Germans occupy Paris and Moscow? If so, then they get whatever they want. If they don't then you shouldn't expect them to get much, maybe Alsace-Lorraine and some small African colonies.

You also have to remember that the second Germany touches Belgium that Britain is getting involved in the war and would easily establish control over German colonies like they actually did in WWI. There's also the issue of Germany facing four Great powers at once(UK, France, Russia, Italy) while they have two allies who's only purpose is as a distraction for the Entente.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hi Kettlepot.

Regarding Portugal, I am guessing that with a Germany victory, the British and especially the French would have been willing to sacrifice Portuguese territory instead of their own at a peace conference. So there will no need for the Germans to actually occupy Portugal, because the Portuguese would have been deserted by her great power allies.

Also keep in mind Imperial Germany had either the second or third largest navy by 1918 (Britain was first, not sure about the USA and Germany). Without allies, there is nothing that Portugal could do if Germany blockaded the Portuguese coast with a dozen plus dreadnaught battleships. Also, Germany had colonies next to the big Portuguese colonies (German SW Africa next to Portuguese Angola & German East Africa next to Portuguese Mozambique. Germany could have built up her forces in these colonies and moved into the Portuguese territories at will.

Your last paragraph is interesting because no one knows what a victorious WW1 Germany would have done further. Still the Kaiser/Imperial Germany was not evil the way Hitler/Nazi Germany were. IMO, after the war I do not think that Imperial Germany would have invaded neutral countries like the Netherlands and Denmark - but who knows?
Germany didn't have the naval capacity to move men they couldn't afford to spare to Africa. There's a reason that the fighting in Africa stopped in less than one year aside from some Guerilla warfare in Tanzania.

There is also no way that the German navy could have gotten past the RN in those numbers to blockade Portugal unless you have some magical alien space bat to teleport the German Navy straight to Portugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Post-World War I colonial empires if Germany quickly wins World War I

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post

Germany didn't have the naval capacity to move men they couldn't afford to spare to Africa. There's a reason that the fighting in Africa stopped in less than one year aside from some Guerilla warfare in Tanzania.

There is also no way that the German navy could have gotten past the RN in those numbers to blockade Portugal unless you have some magical alien space bat to teleport the German Navy straight to Portugal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
How would the colonial empires of various countries have looked after World War I had Germany ended up winning World War I?
No magical alien space bat is needed.

Your the second person who asked, so I just want to make clear the changes in Africa I suggested as possible were only answering the OPs question, "How would the colonial empires of various countries have looked after World War I had Germany ended up winning World War I"? Note the question is alternate history and it assumes the war is over and Germany has won it.

So in this case, the German navy would not have to fight its way past the Royal Navy nor would they have to do much fighting in Africa. The war is over, according to the OP, and the Germans with their large fleet can move as many men as they want to Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History