Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM

17 posts, read 23,178 times

Advertisements

The Death of Alexander of Macedonia, called the great, was a history changing event!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Is that the only position one is allowed to take? Should make for a harmonious thread.

Also, may we argue that "Alexander's death wasn't a history changing event." Or must it be "Alexander's death wasn't a history changing event!"?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Mr. Grandstander:

You seem to misunderstand the point. The statement is considered by me to be incorrect.
You seem to agree with me and then agree yet again.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
The statement is awkward and grammatically incorrect. It should read The death of Alexander of Macedonia, commonly called Alexander the Great, was a history changing event. I don't know why this is in the history section. Unless, you are looking for another answer.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn6675 View Post
The Death of Alexander of Macedonia, called the great, was a history changing event!
Because Alexander The Great never died.
He seemed to die, but never putrefied. And that was strange being that the event occurred in Babylon (Baghdad). That, to the Greeks, seemed to verify that Alexander The Great was, indeed, a God and would never die.

So they called for the embalmers to embalm him with honey, which, as everyone knows, never rots either. Then, because the party holding the body of this God gathered the most territory, a shell game began in an effort to conceal the true location of the body.

And they lost it. To this day the body of Alexander the Great has never been found. He is alive, embalmed in honey, but no one has ever found him.

PS: Modern scholars believe that Al became ill somehow and lapsed into a coma. The process of embalming him with honey ended the coma, no doubt....

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 PM

472 posts, read 570,875 times
It didn't change history in his time (which was what had happened before then).
It didn't change the history of the future, which is our time.
It's impossible to change history.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn6675 View Post
Mr. Grandstander:

You seem to misunderstand the point. The statement is considered by me to be incorrect.
You seem to agree with me and then agree yet again.
I made an inquiry about your intentions for this thread. I took no position on any issue, so there was no agreement for you to see.

I understood that you were stating that the death of Alexander was not a history changing event. If you want others to debate the idea, my feeling is that you are obligated to start things by explaining the reasons behind your position.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Need to add quotation marks, capitals, and a hyphen, remove the exclamation point, and clarify which Alexander, andstating the name of his provenance into accepted contemporary form. If you retain the commas, it places "The Great" into a syntactical presumption that there was only one Alexander of Macedon.

The Death of Alexander III of Macedon, called "The Great", was a history-changing event.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-19-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Is this another "do my homework for me" thread?
Besides the grammatical errors - His death was insignificant as he had already made his mark in history. His kingdom and his armies had already reached the limits of it's conquests. His life was the history-changine event, not his death.
I guess you can argue that his premature and sudden death, without a clear heir, caused some instability and resulted in the empire being divided in ways that would not have occured had he lived to old age.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Mr. Grandstander:

The reference, history changing event, is often used in historical texts. History is the study of that which has occurred. It therefore follows that there can be no history changing event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History