Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,159,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
For the most part, America is a Christian nation. Faith in God was a pivotal part of the strength that many slaves held in the belief that they would one day become free. The belief in God in deeply woven into the fabric of African American culture. To flippantly state that the African descendants of slaves in America should simply "adopt" a new religion is about as practical as stating that we also should have stopped speaking English, too.
Good analogy about giving up English. I just read that the great Frederick Douglass had the anti-Christianity philosophy I thought should have been more prevalent (see below). So, if we beleive the answer to the original post is Yes, we might want to start here as to why the pain persists. And as a reminder, the Bible justifies slavery many times in its text.

Frederick Douglass (1817-1895)

1. I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
  2. I can see no reason, but the most decietful one, for calling the religion of this land Chritianity. I look upon it as the climax of all misnomers, the boldest of all frauds, the grossest of all libels. [SIZE=2][Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, Written by Himself][/SIZE]
  3. I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the South is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes-- a justifier of the most appalling barbarity, a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds, and a dark shelter under which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection. Where I to be again reduced to the chains of slavery, next to that enslavement, I should regard being the slave of a religious master the greatest calamity that could befall me...I...hate the corrupt, slaveholding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of this land. [Frederick Douglass, "After the Escape"]
  4. We have men sold to build churches, women sold to support the gospel, and babes sold to purchase Bibles for the poor heathen, all for the glory of God and the good of souls. The slave auctioneer's bell and the church-going bell chime in with each other, and the bitter cries of the heart-broken slave are drowned in the relgious shouts of his pious master. Revivals of religion and revivals in the slave trade go hand in hand. [SIZE=2][Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, Written by Himself][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,979,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
You can spin it however you wish, but at the end of the day, the raw numbers speak volumes.

The fact remains that overwhelmingly based on the raw numbers, whites represent the greatest number of individuals receiving public assistance/welfare in the U.S.
You can't compare the raw numbers of a group that is 70% of the population to a group that is 13% of the population. You just can't. Doing so suggests either 1) an attempt to obfuscate or 2) a complete and utter lack of understanding of statistics.

Quote:
Asians do not have the history that Africans have in this country.

BTW, how do you explain why currently, Asian Americans are doing better than whites? Asian American families are more stable than white families and their children tend to have far better values. Also, Asian households on average out earn white Americans. Needless to say, Asian Americans have far lower rates of unemployment than white Americans and far greater levels of education.
Asians tend to have more discipline as a culture and (possibly) higher average group IQs than whites.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

136 posts, read 117,204 times
Quote:
For the most part, America is a Christian nation. Faith in God was a pivotal part of the strength that many slaves held in the belief that they would one day become free. The belief in God in deeply woven into the fabric of African American culture. To flippantly state that the African descendants of slaves in America should simply "adopt" a new religion is about as practical as stating that we also should have stopped speaking English, too.
Here is where we disagree Calipoppy: America is NOT a mostly religious/Christian nation. A Christian nation would never sanction gay marriage rights, or actively participate in destroying the family unit through promoting, sex, violence and drugs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. America is a nation that hides behind the cloak of Christianity. No nation on earth has killed more people, or created as many atrocities in the name of "justice" as America.

America is nothing more than a consumer nation owned and controlled mostly by bankers and special zionist "interest" groups.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM

18,247 posts, read 22,591,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Good analogy about giving up English. I just read that the great Frederick Douglass had the anti-Christianity philosophy I thought should have been more prevalent (see below). So, if we beleive the answer to the original post is Yes, we might want to start here as to why the pain persists. And as a reminder, the Bible justifies slavery many times in its text.
The fact that most African Americans are Christians is actually beneficial, not a hindrance. All one has to do is look at the mistrust heaped upon non-Christians (Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.), especially in the South, to understand the misguided nature of your statement.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,750,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh fer chrissake! If we were in a "colorblind" society, people would still be discriminated against. There are always going to be bullies. Sociopaths, psychopaths....other -paths and -ists have always plagued societies. Whining about it constantly and expecting some kind of preferential behavior, because your ancestors had bad sh*t happen to them, does nothing but promote more victim mentality. .
Is it your opinion that teaching kids about history is whining constantly and expecting favorable treatment? In the words of the immortal bard, I believe you doth protest too much.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,159,395 times
Quote:
The fact that most African Americans are Christians is actually beneficial, not a hindrance. All one has to do is look at the mistrust heaped upon non-Christians (Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.), especially in the South, to understand the misguided nature of your statement.
So like Stockholm syndrome then. Beneficial for the oppressed or the oppressors?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM

136 posts, read 117,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You can't compare the raw numbers of a group that is 70% of the population to a group that is 13% of the population. You just can't. Doing so suggests either 1) an attempt to obfuscate or 2) a complete and utter lack of understanding of statistics.
Really, so if I have 20 apples and 17 are red and 3 are green, raw numbers don't mean anything?

Quote:
Asians tend to have more discipline as a culture and (possibly) higher average group IQs than whites.
In reality, Asians simply have more intact families, due to their more intact homogeneous cultures.

Also, Asians don't have higher IQ's, but they most certainly do show more willingness to study and understand math and science at greater rates than other populations. Much of this is due to their culture, which rewards and encourages those who place a heavy emphasis on learning and developing in technical areas.

America however is mostly superficial. It rewards ignorance, greed and violence, therefore its overall populations are mostly ignorant, greedy and violent.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,251,377 times
The liberals keep talking about it.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,626 times
Yep, them libs need it to fill their paunches

Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,924,022 times
Quote:
It's not that blacks keep "dragging the 150 year old stuff around." The very real fact is, racism is alive and well in this nation. If we were all treated equally, things would be different, but the fact is, we are not.

I never implied blacks. It is usually white liberals who drive wedges into the populace to fan the imaginary flames. Racism exists on all levels but only the 19th century American variety is mentioned. How about the 21st century version?
You want treated fairly? You will soon have your wish and there ain't nothin' fair about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History