Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
This is what many white people don't understand, especially the ones that say to just get over it. Whether one calls it stereotyping or racism, it is my opinion that it is far more likely for people to draw conclusions about a black person based on race than a white person. And while many black people may not dwell on this, it doesn't mean they aren't aware of it and impacted by it.

I consider myself lucky to work in a school that is almost equally mixed between black and white students, and am hopeful that the experience of my black students when they reach adulthood will be different. But to promote the notion that we are in a colorblind society would do them a disservice, if for no other reason than to build the resilience sometimes needed to overcome the setbacks they may face at the hands of people who have prejudged them. Learning about history helps. The suggestion to ignore history is, to me, equal parts dangerous and ignorant.
Well said. History makes us understand where we come from, not just as individuals, but as a nation. Even if your family came to the US last year, that doesn't make American history irrelevant to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is it your opinion that teaching kids about history is whining constantly and expecting favorable treatment? In the words of the immortal bard, I believe you doth protest too much.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What is not often mentioned in terms of history is that the south was not only a user of slaves, but a firmly *class* based society. Under those rich planters with their slaves, there were plenty of whites who were also poor and dismissed as well. The white underclass has been renamed different things since but it existed then and will continue to. And when you pin a label on someone, you lessen them.

The reality is it works very well for the well off today in that the black poor have a voice and the hispanic poor are mentioned and the white poor are often ignored as if they didn't exist, but all of them do and so long as we pretend they are different they have no power to change anything. Only when we start looking at *the poor* in our society and not subdividing will anything substantial happen.

And as more and more of the middle class slip downward as the rich get richer, and we like to pretend its not so since people who has the wherewithall don't like to admit they don't, the division grows greater.

We need to deal with poverty, not poverty in x group. In the end scraping to survive is a human thing.
Excellent post, nightbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I must note that slavery has existed for thousands of years and exists till this day.
White people did not invent slavery.
True, they did not. However, it was only in the Americas that slavery became totally associated with race, and it was only in the US that black people became perpetual chattel. Chattel slavery is the concept that slaves were property like horses or cattle and had no rights. Blacks became perpetual chattel because the southern states prohibited the freeing of slaves, even when those slaves were the children of white masters.

You're free, however, to comfort yourself with the idea that slavery in the US wasn't so bad because whites didn't invent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,328,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well said. History makes us understand where we come from, not just as individuals, but as a nation. Even if your family came to the US last year, that doesn't make American history irrelevant to you.

I agree.

True, they did not. However, it was only in the Americas that slavery became totally associated with race, and it was only in the US that black people became perpetual chattel. Chattel slavery is the concept that slaves were property like horses or cattle and had no rights. Blacks became perpetual chattel because the southern states prohibited the freeing of slaves, even when those slaves were the children of white masters.

You're free, however, to comfort yourself with the idea that slavery in the US wasn't so bad because whites didn't invent it.
Slavery was NOT based on race.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:

I agree.

-The U.S. Chattel-Slavery SYSTEM was 'Mother-Based' (Matrilineal) --NOT 'Color-Based' (RACIAL),

-Many WHITE people WERE Chattel-SLAVES in the U.S.*

-MOST Chattel-SLAVES in the U.S. WERE NOT BLACK (most were Mulatto or Metis and many were even White)*

-The U.S. received LESS THAN 6% of the West Africans captured*

-The 'Willie Lynch Speech / Letter' is a total HOAX*

-The Color-Based 'Slave-Hierarchy and Color-Based 'Features-Tests' are MYTHS

Please see this link on Partus Sequitur Ventrem which was what slavery was based on:

Partus sequitur ventrem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See this video by Frank Sweet on how courts and law in regards to slavery and enslavement:

C9A. How Courts Decided if You Were a Slave - YouTube

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-25-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM

136 posts, read 116,963 times
Quote:
Why do you have to pay off your student loans? Why not just stick the US government with them? If you're going to Ghana to start a business, why would it matter?
It matters because I'm responsible, and I believe in paying off my student loan debt. It's irresponsible to pass on my debt to the government. I have another 10 years of saving and paying off my debt, but soon, I will be free.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM

280 posts, read 686,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Slavery was NOT based on race.

US antebellum slavery was indeed based on race.
American whites did not enslave other American whites.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
It matters because I'm responsible, and I believe in paying off my student loan debt. It's irresponsible to pass on my debt to the government. I have another 10 years of saving and paying off my debt, but soon, I will be free.
Sounds like indentured servitude and servantism xD.

I hate debt. Congrats to being close to paying it off.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
US antebellum slavery was indeed based on race.
American whites did not enslave other American whites.
I suggest you study history and look at my posts above. Slavery was NOT based on race. Plenty of WHITE people actually were slaves.

Partus sequitur ventrem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C9A. How Courts Decided if You Were a Slave - YouTube

Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM

"The worst thing the black liberal community ever did for themselves since civil rights was become an automatic puppet vote for the democrat party. When a politician can take your vote for granted as if its a freebie, then you will NEVER be the focus of beneficial change." –Wayne Dupree

Old 11-25-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
OMG I love it. If whites agree with blacks, they're tolerable. If whites differ in ANY way, shape or form, they're racist. No one here is bashing blacks. The only bashing really going on here, is the blatant bashing of whites.

Anyone who went to school, learned about slavery...or should have. What would some have everyone do, pity, cater too, tolerate every nasty, rude behavior, make special concessions for, everyone who has dark skin? Oh no....not EVERY one with dark skin, only those whose ancestors were involved in slavery. The funny part of it is, the majority of blacks in this country only ASSume that their ancestors were slaves. They don't honestly know for sure. Ever watch "Who Do You Think You Are?"? Funny, how many negroes pass down "slave tales" to their children, then find out later that nothing could have been further from the truth.

So....what should we do here? Make sure that all blacks carry proof of ancestral slavery, before they're afforded special regard? Good gawd, it happened, it was wrong. What exactly are you looking for, pity? ....some special $$$$$$ refund from the government, for your suffering? Move on and make your lives better, (those who are whining). If you don't like the way you're treated, look in the mirror. The answer is closer than you think.
My grandfather's last name is Jefferson, do I really need to show an ancestral card to prove that my ancestor's worked for free on the Jefferson plantation? This is ridiculous. My grand father was a sharecropper as a boy; he is currently 97 years old.

My family is not mixed, we have dark skin like most West Africans, so there is no confusion about our lineage.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Sounds like indentured servitude and servantism xD.

I hate debt. Congrats to being close to paying it off.
To a degree it is indentured servitude, but I'm blessed with a very good job and the ability to pay off my debt while continuing to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History