Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

136 posts, read 116,975 times

Advertisements

No people can thrive without knowing their past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM

280 posts, read 686,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
You're making excuses. Other demographics flee communistic/third world countries. They also leave their families and cultures behind, to come to the United States and they assimilate just fine.

I recommend watching the following video to better understand the legacy of slavery:

CUNY Special: "Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority" - YouTube

Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,054,874 times
150 Years Later, Why Is America Still Haunted By the Legacy of Slavery?

Look at the demographics, geographic or otherwise, of which each respective wing of the American political duopoly gets 90+ or more of the vote and that will give a clue as to why they along with the media want to keep their respective voting blocs reliving the 19th century.

Last edited by kovert; 11-25-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,588,074 times
Default Because it was so horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Even to this day, the emotions run very deep. The pain is very real.
And the socio-economic disparities remain.

This is not just the case in the United States--but also in such Latin American countries as Brazil and the Dominican Republic.

Why is this so? Why does slavery still haunt us?
And how can we move forward as a nation?.
Because of the unadulterated evil and horribleness of it...man's inhumane treatment towards man. While throughout history the evil side of humans has shown itself through: committing rapes, child rape, sex slaves, trafficking of human souls, kidnapping, murders, robberies, and torture, terrorism for the sake of terrorism, it has rarely been legalized and justified as an acceptable way of life for one group of people to behave over another group as was American Slavery; Especially not in the wholesale way it was done, as every single one of the atrocities mentioned above was done routinely not an isolated incident here or there. Nor had this type of behavior been done over the long length of time as was American slavery. This was one of the few times, in human history, when the true manifestation of Satan himself found human vehicles open and willing to carrying out His evil work against humanity. I have no idea how to move forward other than to never repeat it and don't repeat behaviors that are even similar to those mentioned above. If people would even stick with the golden rule slavery or anything like it would ever happen again: You should love your neighbor (anyone else) as yourself (don't do anything to someone else or to their child that you don't want done to you or your child). Period.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
The white poverty rate in this nation is truly astronomical, but of course, most will never discuss this fact.
What is not often mentioned in terms of history is that the south was not only a user of slaves, but a firmly *class* based society. Under those rich planters with their slaves, there were plenty of whites who were also poor and dismissed as well. The white underclass has been renamed different things since but it existed then and will continue to. And when you pin a label on someone, you lessen them.

The reality is it works very well for the well off today in that the black poor have a voice and the hispanic poor are mentioned and the white poor are often ignored as if they didn't exist, but all of them do and so long as we pretend they are different they have no power to change anything. Only when we start looking at *the poor* in our society and not subdividing will anything substantial happen.

And as more and more of the middle class slip downward as the rich get richer, and we like to pretend its not so since people who has the wherewithall don't like to admit they don't, the division grows greater.

We need to deal with poverty, not poverty in x group. In the end scraping to survive is a human thing.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:34 PM

280 posts, read 686,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Because of the unadulterated evil and horribleness of it...man's inhumane treatment towards man. While throughout history the evil side of humans has shown itself through: committing rapes, child rape, sex slaves, trafficking of human souls, kidnapping, murders, robberies, and torture, terrorism for the sake of terrorism, it has rarely been legalized and justified as an acceptable way of life for one group of people to behave over another group as was American Slavery; Especially not in the wholesale way it was done, as every single one of the atrocities mentioned above was done routinely not an isolated incident here or there. Nor had this type of behavior been done over the long length of time as was American slavery. This was one of the few times, in human history, when the true manifestation of Satan himself found human vehicles open and willing to carrying out His evil work against humanity. I have no idea how to move forward other than to never repeat it and don't repeat behaviors that are even similar to those mentioned above. If people would even stick with the golden rule slavery or anything like it would ever happen again: You should love your neighbor (anyone else) as yourself (don't do anything to someone else or to their child that you don't want done to you or your child). Period.

I must note that slavery has existed for thousands of years and exists till this day.
White people did not invent slavery.

Last edited by VGravitas; 11-25-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You can't compare the raw numbers of a group that is 70% of the population to a group that is 13% of the population. You just can't. Doing so suggests either 1) an attempt to obfuscate or 2) a complete and utter lack of understanding of statistics.

Asians tend to have more discipline as a culture and (possibly) higher average group IQs than whites.
Back when I was in college I used to tutor. Technically it was history, but mostly it ended up being English and especially the dreaded blue book essay. Ignorance of how to write, not just an Essay but even a paragraph, was common in all types, but I noticed there was a very sharp cultual divide which seemed to make the biggest difference in results.

The 'white' kids tried, mostly having been in high school when grammar and writing was not really taught. They picked up on it but didn't try that hard. If they passed it was all they were interested in. Some of course did better and some lesser but there was generally no great eagerness to learn or resistance to it either.

The surprise was the asian kids. This was when many had just arrived from Viet Nam a year or less before, and they barely spoke the language. But they worked very hard at it. They didn't waste any time with complaints. It was amazing to see someone who barely spoke the language writing and speaking as well as most 'natives within a year. Why? Culture and attitude. The valued it and persievered to succeed. They worked extra hard to do what was needed for that. And there were few excuses and attempts to slip in extra 'help'.

I also had black kids who seemed to speak mostly street language. Some worked hard and did well, but the prevaling culture was quite clear. One kid kept asking me to write his paper since it was 'too hard'. He got sent on his way as that is cheating. Most of them didn't seem to want to learn to write or speak regular, normal language. Most of them quit on their own early on too. Everyone got the same method and program, since the need was to learn to write a readable essay. But you have to want to. The ones who didn't care, who simply refused to learn were digging their own hole.

This wasn't true universally, of course, but largely was. The kids willing to break through did a lot better because they chose to. They would have come off as smarter and more likely to succeed. I don't think it was intelligence at all, but the simple will to break through cultural barriers and do the work.

My take on the Asian kids was that they simply wanted it bad enough that they exceeded the 'normal' expectations and that was cultural. I wouldn't say overall they were more intellligent but simply more driven. We push ourselves in those things which we give value, and less or not at all when we don't.

I don't think you can say any one group is more 'intelligent' as a group without factoring in the effect of cultural values and their effect.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,736,503 times
OMG I love it. If whites agree with blacks, they're tolerable. If whites differ in ANY way, shape or form, they're racist. No one here is bashing blacks. The only bashing really going on here, is the blatant bashing of whites.

Anyone who went to school, learned about slavery...or should have. What would some have everyone do, pity, cater too, tolerate every nasty, rude behavior, make special concessions for, everyone who has dark skin? Oh no....not EVERY one with dark skin, only those whose ancestors were involved in slavery. The funny part of it is, the majority of blacks in this country only ASSume that their ancestors were slaves. They don't honestly know for sure. Ever watch "Who Do You Think You Are?"? Funny, how many negroes pass down "slave tales" to their children, then find out later that nothing could have been further from the truth.

So....what should we do here? Make sure that all blacks carry proof of ancestral slavery, before they're afforded special regard? Good gawd, it happened, it was wrong. What exactly are you looking for, pity? ....some special $$$$$$ refund from the government, for your suffering? Move on and make your lives better, (those who are whining). If you don't like the way you're treated, look in the mirror. The answer is closer than you think.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sure there are.

Grandfather owns the former plantation land where some of my ancestors were born. Many of the older members of my family can recount memories of people (men and women) being lynched. My parents were not allowed to walk into the front door of businesses (in the South) but had to enter through stockroom doors to shop. One of the four little girls killed in the church bombing in Birmingham, AL was a distant cousin. This is not ancient history just because it is not a part of YOUR history.

Are my relatives supposed to not discuss their experiences with my generation (and younger) simply because it makes YOU uncomfortable to know that atrocities were committed for the sake of skin color? So, if I understand the reasoning of many in this thread, ALL of American history pre-1900 is irrelevant because no one is still alive who actually experienced those events, right? We should destroy Ellis Island and build condos, yes?
No, people should study their history becase its where they came from and the people who survived hardship left them a legacy. This includes the great majority of 'white' people who's ancestors came as indentured or convicts or paupers or escapees from some kind of opression. Learn and learn to appreciate their contribution to you. When I look at my gfivex grandfather who came as a convict what I see is a man who did not let his beginnings stop him from making more of himself, and one who didn't let hardship make him give up. We all come from survivors and we should celebrate their *strength*.

But when the whole long tale is used to explain why people born today are owed special things, or are doomed from their beginnings, then I'm lost. Don't forget your ancestors, but don't let their trials mean you can't do better. Its not three hundred years ago. Its not even fifty. What makes an individual capable of succeeding isn't something from without, but the drive to do it from within.

Does this mean every single person who aspires to a goal will get it? No. But they will have done their best and this applies to everyone. Not everyone gets what they want. But if they really try, they did all you can. One should value each bit of success and if it doesn't make it all the way, its not failure.

And yes, your family should talk about how it was, but not let that limit or stunt what they want and dream. And sometimes anger has to be allowed to die. There is no dispute what happened, but don't feed off the anger way past then. Each of us regardless of skin color or nationality or religion is a human being and when an individual sees themself as at the core just human is when we can put things in the past and let culture grow and put the ghosts of the past to rest.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,215,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Dreams View Post
I could move to Africa, but the truth is, I have to pay off my student loans and that's what I'm currently doing. When I relocate, I want to be debt free and able to start my business from scratch in Ghana. I don't want to be tied down with paying American student loans back.

I am saving a substantial amount of money and marking off my calendar each and every day. Ten years seems like quite a while away, but it will be here soon...very soon.
Why do you have to pay off your student loans? Why not just stick the US government with them? If you're going to Ghana to start a business, why would it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History