Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Inspiring Architecture: NYC Grand Central Station Vs. Chicago Union Station
NYC's Grand Central Station 7 87.50%
Chicago's Union Station 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times

Advertisements

Which train station architecture inspires you more. NYC's Grand Central Terminal or Chicago's Union Station.

I would go with Grand Central Station. I am a New Yorker at heart, and grand central station provides me with a sense of Awe and inspiration.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
They are pretty comparable in the sense that they are in a class by themselves (or with a tiny handful of others) in the United States, but I like Grand Central a shade better.

A nice as the skylights are, I prefer the ceiling in Grand Central. The columns in the interior of Union Station are really impressive.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM

216 posts, read 313,811 times
Huh?? I am a Chicago guy and I wouldn't consider Union Station to be inspiring. At all. Maybe it's cause I'm pushing through crowds of surly suburban commuters there all the time, but that place is just depressing as hell to me. NY gets the win by default.

Chicago has plenty of other inspiring buildings, no need to look at Union Station.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
Huh?? I am a Chicago guy and I wouldn't consider Union Station to be inspiring. At all. Maybe it's cause I'm pushing through crowds of surly suburban commuters there all the time, but that place is just depressing as hell to me. NY gets the win by default.

Chicago has plenty of other inspiring buildings, no need to look at Union Station.
Well, Grand Central fits the same bill, in fact, "Grand Central Station" is often used as metaphor for any really busy, bustling location. I does have some nice shops and good food/restaurants too, though. And somehow, people seem to move through it very fluidly.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, Grand Central fits the same bill, in fact, "Grand Central Station" is often used as metaphor for any really busy, bustling location. I does have some nice shops and good food/restaurants too, though. And somehow, people seem to move through it very fluidly.
The history of the building is what attracts me. It was built with Vanderbilt money, which was earned in railroading after the Civil War.
The Commodore sold all his ships when he saw that the real money was going to be made in railroads. He was about 70 when he made his move. Now, that's guts!

With regard to the famous flowing traffic: I'm not sure whether it was done intentionally, but I saw a study of traffic flow and what works, and Grand Central's information booth works as a roundabout. Most people will turn right when confronted with an obstacle, and this continuous flow of right turning people makes everything ...flow.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
The ceiling of Grand Central Station is very inspiring. I have never been to the Chicago Union Station.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:08 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The history of the building is what attracts me. It was built with Vanderbilt money, which was earned in railroading after the Civil War.
The Commodore sold all his ships when he saw that the real money was going to be made in railroads. He was about 70 when he made his move. Now, that's guts!

With regard to the famous flowing traffic: I'm not sure whether it was done intentionally, but I saw a study of traffic flow and what works, and Grand Central's information booth works as a roundabout. Most people will turn right when confronted with an obstacle, and this continuous flow of right turning people makes everything ...flow.
Yes, from what one understands the traffic flows inside GCT were designed "on purpose" (well at least to the extent of what was known about such things at that time", and still function so today.

One huge difference between GCT and Penn Station is that the former did not use stairways but a series of gently slopping ramps to move persons into the station and to/from train platforms. This results in a smooth and organized flow even with those carrying baggage, children etc.... Penn Station OTOH despite all the nostalgia was often one hot mess. Because stairs were used to take passengers to and from platforms you had the same problems that exist today with crowding, slow progress and so forth.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Both pale in comparison to Washington Union Station and none compare to New York's Penn Central Station which was torn down to build the last iteration of Madison Square Garden. If we were to do the poll all over again I would not only add Union Station (DC) but Philadelphia 30th Street and Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 PM

43 posts, read 55,629 times
Default Agreed...nothing can touch the old Penn Station

Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 PM

43 posts, read 55,629 times
Default This picture's better....shows the scale of the Waiting Room

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History