Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM

804 posts, read 618,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Really?! So you are saying Muslims should be put in the camp after 911?! Is it what you are saying?

I am Japanese/German/Irish/Hawaiian. I better wish Japan/Germany and Ireland all behave from now on. Otherwise, I will be put in the camp because putting me in the camp is an option. I know nothing about other culture and have zero relatives in Japan or other countries.

Putting innocent citizens in the camp is a crime against humanity. Everybody loses, nobody is winner when a crime against humanity occurs.

My sister in law is French / German. I guess she's not very safe either.
You are putting words in my mouth. Stop the hysteria. What I said was that in 1941 internment of the Japanese Americans seemed like a good option to deal with the Japanese V Column and espionage. We learned that the actual threat was minimal but people who had to make these decisions did not know it and we're not willing to take the risk. Risking domestic trouble in an extremely difficult geopolitics of 1941 was simply unacceptable. We won that what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
You are putting words in mouth. Stop the hysteria. What I said was that in 1941 internment of the Japanese Americans seemed like a good option to deal with the Japanese V Column and espionage. We learned that the actual threat was minimal but people making decisions like this had to deal with risk that was simply unacceptable. We won that what counts.
LOL Okay. So in your opinion, putting Japanese-Americans who were born in the States in the "camp" is a big reason why we won the war.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
LOL Okay. So in your opinion, putting Japanese-Americans who were born in the States in the "camp" is a big reason why we won the war.
You are again putting words in my mouth.
What I said was that the risk was unknown and given the extremely difficult situation in 1941, the interment seemed to be a an effective way of dealing with the threat. It's so easy to pass judgement having all the historical sources at your disposal yet those were not available in 1941, you know...

You are commiting a cardinal sin by forgetting that the knowledge we have about the events was not available then. It's hard to deal with the unknown and you'd rather err on the cautious side.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You are again putting words in my mouth.
What I said was that the risk was unknown and given the extremely difficult situation in 1941, the interment seemed to be a an effective way of dealing with the threat. It's so easy to pass judgement having all the historical sources at your disposal yet those were not available in 1941, you know...
Yeah, I know.. So?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know.. So?
So we will do it again if we have to. Simple as that.

The same way I keep on putting a seatbelt even it never helped me with anything.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
So we will do it again if we have to. Simple as that.

The same way I keep on putting a seatbelt even it never helped me with anything.

The difference is that if you put five other drivers in the car with you against their will just to prevent your imaginary accident is kidnapping.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
The difference is that if you put five other drivers in the car with you against their will just to prevent your imaginary accident is kidnapping.
Forget the seat belt analogy if it is too much for you.
If we are faced with another grave threat, rest assure that we will take whatever action is necessary and worry about the ethical aspects after the victory. During war you sacrifice platoons to save companies and divisions to save the armies. Maybe it's not ethical but necessary. War is ugly and requires sacrifice.

We can spend weeks arguing if the internment of the American Japanese was righ or wrong but in 1941 the decision makers had other priorities.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Forget the seat belt analogy if it is too much for you.
If we are faced with another grave threat, rest assure that we will take whatever action is necessary and worry about the ethical aspects after the victory. During war you sacrifice platoons to save companies and divisions to save the armies. Maybe it's not ethical but necessary. War is ugly and requires sacrifice.

We can spend weeks arguing if the internment of the American Japanese was righ or wrong but in 1941 the decision makers had other priorities.
We can just stop at the bolded.

But the thread title is still "Japanese american internment during WWII was actually a good thing?"

Tell me one thing good about the camp?! And try to stay on topic.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
We can just stop at the bolded.

But the thread title is still "Japanese american internment during WWII was actually a good thing?"

Tell me one thing good about the camp?! And try to stay on topic.
You want to talk about war in terms of "good" or "bad"? Lol
Of course the camps were good as they eliminated the threat of Japanese V column operating from within the us. There was a bloody war going on at that time, axis countries seemed to be winning so the risk was unacceptable.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You want to talk about war in terms of "good" or "bad"? Lol
Of course the camps were good as they eliminated the threat of Japanese V column operating from within the us. There was a bloody war going on at that time, you know and the risk was unacceptable.
I don't want to talk about war in terms of Good or Bad LOL

Thread title: Japanese-American internment during WWII was actually a good thing?

Not my thread. You haven't answered the question by the way. All circular arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History