Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I found that although many states offer inter-library loans, several charge, while others appear to be able to offer the service gratis. New Mexico charged; Vermont and Massachusetts don't.

I also found that often local community libraries allow non-residents to be members, while others don't. When I lived in Vermont, I belonged to the village library, but I had to pay rather a hefty sum for an annual membership to join the town library because my legal residence was 7 miles away.

Now I live at the literal cross-roads of two states, with libraries available in three neighbouring communities. I'll be interested to see how each embraces my book and map reading habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Your library doesn't offer inter-library loans? I have used the inter-library loan program at my library a few times for genealogy research. Do you have a junior college in the area? Its pretty easy to get a library card at the jr colleges and they usually have a great collection of books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Inthe sierras... I can get book loans from only within MY County...and just to give you an idea of what's available...there is ONE book in the entire county on Charlemange, and that not very good!!!! If I want a book from a different county, I would have to pay $100 a year to do so...I'm not really close enough to the colleges to take advantage of their libraries.. so am stuck ordering on-line for books I really want...

Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Map that named America is a puzzle for researchers - Yahoo! News (broken link)

What will be learn in another 500 years? I wish I was going to be around to learn the answer to this and other conundrums.
That map is amazing!!!!!

Here is the article: http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news.../posts?page=15

Old 08-28-2016, 08:47 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Here's one of the neatest collections of old maps I found. I can spend countless hours looking them over.

https://www.loc.gov/maps/collections/

Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection Very interesting collection.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We have a Geological Map of the Grand Canyon mounted in Plexiglas on our wall. We call it our "Earth Dragon". We also have about 20 DeLorme and Benchmark Road Atlases to supplement our extensive collection of maps of other countries.

FWIW - If you cut the tops out of Kleenex boxes and reinforce the top edge with packing tape they make excellent boxes for holding and indexing road maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History