Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The campaign led by Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery captured Montreal leaving only Quebec to complete an American takeover. They managed to break into the city, but Montgomery was killed and Daniel Morgan and his men were cut off and captured within the city. It had been a close battle, a bit of luck going the American's way and they may well have prevailed.

Arnold maintained a siege until May of 1776, but then British reinforcements arrived and the campaign was abandoned for good.
Wow!

I have definitely got to study these battles more!

Thank you very much for sharing this information with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM

618 posts, read 939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In theory, following the conquest of Mexico in 1847, the US could have kept the entire nation as a US colony.

And of course in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, the first instinct of the Americans was to try and wrest Canada away from Great Britain, coming close the first time and failing miserably the second.

If we had Canada, we could have had our own version of Siberia.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
If we had Canada, we could have had our own version of Siberia.
Is Alaska not good enough for you?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Chime in if I am wrong, Filipino readers, but I have known more than a few of them who wished they had stayed Commonwealth Territory, a la Puerto Rico, rather than complete independence.

Imagine a Governor Marcos indicted by the Feds on bribery and corruption charges (as happened to a recent PR governor) and put in the clink for a bit, rather than a President Marcos declaring martial law and misruling the Philippines for a decade and a half.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
At least Baja California should have been taken as part of the negotiated peace with Mexico. It fits perfectly with the rest of California, and gives AZ a seafront. Almost no one lived in Baja California at that time and would have easily been incorporated into the US with very few residents. Today Cabo San Lucas and all that beautiful coastline on the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez would be ours.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I heard about Cuba before.

My question is--when exactly did the U.S. have the best chance of acquiring Cuba?

For the record, I think that President Polk tried to purchase Cuba for the U.S. around 1848 or so, but Spain refused to sell Cuba back then.
There are some theories that the CSA wished to annex Cuba and Mexico, although probably that best belongs in a Turtledove alternative history book (I think it was).
Cuba was essentially a US occupied country after the Spanish American war. We didn't want it - too much malaria, plus Cuban's had been trying to gain independence from Spain for a few decades already. We were left with a small piece of real estate known as Guantanamo Bay.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I heard about Cuba before.

My question is--when exactly did the U.S. have the best chance of acquiring Cuba?

For the record, I think that President Polk tried to purchase Cuba for the U.S. around 1848 or so, but Spain refused to sell Cuba back then.
One of the reasons used to start the Spanish-American war was to free Cuba from Spain. When the war was over, this made it very difficult for the US to annex Cuba. In fact, the Congressional declaration of war against Spain by the US stated that Cuba would not be annexed, but would become independant. However, under the Treaty of Paris 1998, the US did annex Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
One of the reasons used to start the Spanish-American war was to free Cuba from Spain. When the war was over, this made it very difficult for the US to annex Cuba. In fact, the Congressional declaration of war against Spain by the US stated that Cuba would not be annexed, but would become independant. However, under the Treaty of Paris 1998, the US did annex Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines.
Yes, which is why any realistic opportunity for the U.S. to annex Cuba would have probably needed to occur before 1898.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
At least Baja California should have been taken as part of the negotiated peace with Mexico. It fits perfectly with the rest of California, and gives AZ a seafront. Almost no one lived in Baja California at that time and would have easily been incorporated into the US with very few residents. Today Cabo San Lucas and all that beautiful coastline on the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez would be ours.
Was there ever a realistic chance of Mexico agreeing to this in the peace talks, though?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
1. There are some theories that the CSA wished to annex Cuba and Mexico, although probably that best belongs in a Turtledove alternative history book (I think it was).

2. Cuba was essentially a US occupied country after the Spanish American war. We didn't want it - too much malaria, plus Cuban's had been trying to gain independence from Spain for a few decades already. We were left with a small piece of real estate known as Guantanamo Bay.
1. The CSA isn't the USA, though.

2. I was talking about the U.S. acquiring certain territories/areas. A territory/area which was only occupied by the U.S. doesn't count--else, Iraq and Afghanistan would have also qualified/counted for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History