Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Since when?

In terms of conventional capabilities, Russia is easily a match for the USA.

The Russians aren't going to fight on US soil so the scenario would be on European soil or in Russia. If you think they are no match, you've been watching too many movies.

You are confusing quality with quantity. The Germans found out quickly. It doesn't matter how good your tanks are, at some point you can't get as many of them as they can get of you. The Russians aren't the Iraqis you know.

The Russians don't run away like most of the combatants we've encountered recently nor are they backwards when it comes to air defenses and their ability to fight a war of attrition the likes of which we is the USA have never ever encountered.

This is pro-Russian but lets try to think this through before the flag waving overloads our mouths.

I have to wonder if this war would actually occur on Canadian soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
1. What I'm waiting to see, will Putin make a play for more than just the Crimea?

2. I think Ukraine should deport the native Russian population to the Crimea
1. Unlikely, IMHO, but probably not impossible.

2. So you support ethnic cleansing?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 AM

146 posts, read 323,648 times
Force Projection
Technology
Experience and Training

Game. Set. Match.

People who haven't served have no idea how important the bolded reference is. None whatsoever. Even within the ranks, this is simply an implicitly understood truth, not something people consciously know or think about. I guess we take it for granted? We have a presence in over 150 countries in the world and more military installations away from home than almost every other country in the world has on its own turf. We ALSO have 11 active aircraft carrier, more than double of what the rest of the world has combined. What that means is that we can go absolutely anywhere in the world and stay there for as long as we want.

We have a moat the size of 2 oceans that protect us. And friendly neighbors on both sides. Russia has neither.

Technologically, it's no competition. We win hands down against any military this known universe has ever seen.

And when it comes to experience, well, we like to fight a bit too much. Not a fact to be happy or proud about, but we're the most battle tested and well trained force in the world. From our equipment to markmanship to field training to leadership, we're pretty effing good.

So yeah, in a conventional fight, the US wins every single day of the week. Not without massive and crippling losses, but the US does win.

This would never end up being a conventional war, though. Because Russia knows everything I've written here + a hundred other reasons I don't care to detail, all that point to why they're no match.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM

161 posts, read 273,604 times
Do you see those Russians in Crimea? They are some tough mean looking hombres not afraid to kick butt.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Force Projection
Technology
Experience and Training

Game. Set. Match.

People who haven't served have no idea how important the bolded reference is. None whatsoever. Even within the ranks, this is simply an implicitly understood truth, not something people consciously know or think about. I guess we take it for granted? We have a presence in over 150 countries in the world and more military installations away from home than almost every other country in the world has on its own turf. We ALSO have 11 active aircraft carrier, more than double of what the rest of the world has combined. What that means is that we can go absolutely anywhere in the world and stay there for as long as we want.

We have a moat the size of 2 oceans that protect us. And friendly neighbors on both sides. Russia has neither.

Technologically, it's no competition. We win hands down against any military this known universe has ever seen.

And when it comes to experience, well, we like to fight a bit too much. Not a fact to be happy or proud about, but we're the most battle tested and well trained force in the world. From our equipment to markmanship to field training to leadership, we're pretty effing good.

So yeah, in a conventional fight, the US wins every single day of the week. Not without massive and crippling losses, but the US does win.

This would never end up being a conventional war, though. Because Russia knows everything I've written here + a hundred other reasons I don't care to detail, all that point to why they're no match.
I'm glad you added that, because a bunch of pretty low tech folks have been wearing us all down to the nub for 13 years.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Russia vs USA? boggles the mind as to how such a conflict would pan out,IMO America would never be able to over run Russia and visa verca so what would be the objectives of such a war ?.If nuclear weapon\s came into the game i doubt there would be any one left alive to declare who was the winner.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Could there be a war with Russia?? Yes it is possible and this is how I see it being possible. While going to war with Russia over Crimea is crazy, defending our NATO allies in eastern Europe is not. In fact if the Soviets, whoops I mean the Russian federation invade the Baltic states, Romania, or Poland then we are obligated to defend our allies, as are all major NATO powers similarly obligated. Would Putin do this???? I think he is capable of it, history shows Hitler using the same excuse of protecting ethnic Germans in Sudatenland and even Poland in order to invade those nations starting the last world war. Putin has hinted at restoring the soviet union, he is clever and he is now acting on his words . The real question is will he really risk a world war with the NATO alliance????? Lets hope not but we cannot discount the possibility. We should be showing strength now, as deterrence is the best weapon. I say expel the Russian diplomats from Washington, let em have sanctions and more importantly we should make strong statements of support for our eastern European allies. New weapons systems, and weapons could be dispatched to eastern Europe, military exercises with Poland and the Baltic states and a presidential visit to our allies on the Russian border. These types of gestures will re-assure our allies and send a message to Putin that we mean business and that we will not accept aggression against NATO powers. Putin needs to know we are capable and willing to go to war in order to prevent a new iron curtain in eastern Europe. Look back to Reagan, Kennedy, and Truman for examples of how to deal with the Russian tyrants. They stood up to them in a way that projected our strength and resolve, the Russians did not dare go to far as the consequences for everyone would have been severe. Sadly we do not have a leader like Reagan, Kennedy or Truman right now, and Putin smelled weakness in our government. That is why he moved on Crimea, if we continue to project weakness then Hitler will take further advantage of Chamberlain, whoops I meant Putin will take further advantage of Obama. Let history not repeat itself, next election we need to look strongly at foreign policy credentials. There are too many bully nations out there to put a novice in the white house.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 AM

600 posts, read 659,589 times
Yes! easily (relatively speaking) although the cost would be high on both sides, theres little doubt who the technical victor would be...

assuming there is the political will necessary among the American populous.

Russia, even with all its chest pumping and accolades from conservatives around the world (including in this country), is really a quite desperate petro-state with a fragile economy, decreasing population, crumbling infrastructure, political instability, and ever closing window on a bright future.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Manpower? The Russians have it in spades.
I know this has been addressed, but I want to reiterate that point that they do not in fact have "manpower in spades" compared to the US. The US has more than double the population of Russia and our military is not only qualitatively better, but quantitavely larger as well...

United States of America Military Strength

vs.

Russia Military Strength

The only area the Russians hold an advantage is in quantity of tanks, artillery and AFV's, but the vast majority of these weapon systems trace their roots to the 1960's and 1970's. If you want to argue that our quality can't make up for that quantity on the ground, then we can certainly do it in the air where the US holds a massive advantage.

This is also not counting American allies. Rounding out the top 10 global military powers in order:

3. China
4. India
5. United Kingdom
6. France
7. Germany
8. Turkey
9. South Korea
10. Japan

In a hypothetical war China and India would most likely stay neutral, but both have far deeper ties to the US then to Russia. Number 5 through 8 are all NATO allies. South Korea and Japan are both staunch US allies. I believe the statistic is that if one added up all of the global military force factor, the US and its direct allies account for 85%+ of global military power. It's not even a contest. The only reason Russia is even a factor is because of their nuclear weapons.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
i knew this thread would fall into the trap of comparing old-school capabilities,
as if they have any meaning if a war were take place in 2014 or in the future.
the fact is that the secret projects of both countries, and a few others, are
not posted anywhere on the interwebs, although discussion and speculation
is available, as are some leaks that may or may not be valid.
Plasma, Weather, Scalar Wave, EMP, Tesla Shield, Bio, these weapons
have the ability to do things such as: Shut off electronics, disrupt communications,
disrupt computerized commands, shut off electrical commands, cause earthquakes,
cause tidal waves, cause hurricanes, disintegrate metal, disrupt thought, disrupt
motor skills, blowout eardrums, instill pathogens, make missiles fall from the sky, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History