Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times

Advertisements

As everyone know, out of all the injustices that took place on this soil, slavery often ranks number one in a lot of people's heart. Although it's not right to say so because it undermines other wrongs done to people of all ethnicity. Yet at the end of the day, as a black person I ask myself what did it profit, and what did all the suffering under Jim Crow profit? You had 300+ years of free labor and at the end of day, no black slave received anything when they were set free. I often been told freedom itself were the slaves' reparations, that good white men gave their lives to fight for our freedom against the south. So slavery was repaid in being set free.

Then you had the period of terrorism on black people and the subsequent Jim Crow era. In that period black people tried to get on their feet in this country, but without protection under the law, we could only go so far. Eventually that led to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. After that we finally got protection under the law, and even programs like Affirmative Action got thrown into the mix. Yet at the end of the day, those programs weren't just for black people, but all minorities and white women. To this day white women benefited more from Affirmative Action than any other group, and by association the program help white families more than black families. Again, no specific reparations or payment of any kind was given to those black people who suffered during Jim Crow.

So my thinking is here are two times where black people's suffering profited nothing. I used to think at least from the Civil Rights Movement, black people contributed to all minority people and women with all the civil rights programs that was issued as a result. I used to think because of black people's suffering in the early 20th century, other people coming into this country wouldn't have to suffer in the same way because of the Civil Rights Movement. Yet when I talk to people about it who's family immigrated here, they give all the credit to the hard work of their family in making it. I at least thought we had that contribution to the US, but no one is really thankful for that, it's not their history. At the end of the day then, what worth is there from all that suffering? The only thing I get from that history is it's over, no one is to blame for that, and that we should get over it. I see no contribution to the US if immigrants didn't need our suffering, and slavery itself was a legal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
It is over. No one alive it to blame for it.

Maybe the sense of aggrievement for the slave and Jim Crow eras should be forgotten. It is a millstone, doing nothing but weighing down the people who wear it. Blacks who come to America from other countries do better than blacks that are born here. I think it's because they don't have the sense of victimology that seems to afflict so many American blacks. They just get on with their lives.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Yeah, it's probably for the best. The only problem is this history is all black people have concerning where they came from. Everyone else have a respectable history, all black people have is slavery. Yet in order to move forward, we have to today, make a brand new history for future generations.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
It's asking too much to ask black people to forget about their past when ; Native Americans, Jews, and Asians in American are not asked to forget about their past. There are no Indian killers alive today but we must weigh the exploits of the men who tamed the west with who they killed in order for whites to settle there.

The history of African Americans(in America) is much deeper and richer than slavery and the civil rights movement. The problem is all we know about black people in America is limited to Slavery and civil rights.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-06-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It's asking too much to ask black people to forget about their past when ; Native Americans, Jews, and Asians in American are not asked to forget about their past.

In general I would agree with you. However, I've been thinking a lot about this, and I'm starting to believe in this case, forgetting the past might be for the better. I ask myself what did slavery benefit? There's no question slavery help build the wealth of this nation, but who admits that? The greatest admission would have been reparations, but they didn't receive that except the reparation of freedom. So slavery wasn't beneficial to the US in open terms. There's nothing to be proud of there. What about the Jim Crow era? I think the Civil Rights Movement that was begun because of all the suffering by black people benefited all minorities. Yet again there is no recognition for that. At the end of the day, black people really didn't benefit from that either other than getting protection under the law and a leg up in getting a job. (Which I argue we could have gotten jobs without affirmative action. And if we couldn't get one, we would create our own businesses like all other immigrants have done) So in this case, forgetting all that history and moving forward is probably the best thing to do. Those other groups you mentioned have a history outside of their suffering. All we have is suffering and nothing to show for it.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
no matter how bad, no matter how horrid, one must NEVER forget history. NEVER!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
no matter how bad, no matter how horrid, one must NEVER forget history. NEVER!
He who does not remember history is destined to repeat it. It (slavery) happened, and is still happening, especially in Africa. I dare say African Americans are more free than their cousins in Africa. I am probably doing better than most of my people in Ireland, and better than my Cherokee brethren. Do I remember my ancestors were brought here in chains, and I remember my ancestors were driven out of their homes on the 'Trail of Tears'. Yes, I remember but, I don't dwell on those memories, nor do I blames those memories on my failings and status in life.

Would it be beneficial for African Americans to forget slavery and the Jim Crow era?-btw1.jpg

Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The history of African Americans(in America) is much deeper and richer than slavery and the civil rights movement. The problem is all we know about black people in America is limited to Slavery and civil rights.
Sorry, but I respectfully have to disagree: the history of just about any societal trend is there. It's mostly a matter of knowing where to look for it and how to present it.

The Promised Land (TV Mini-Series 1995) - IMDb

The link below represents an outstanding documentary of how millions of African-Americans escaped from the peonage of the agrarian South over the course of the mid-20th Century. Very few individuals are personally cited, but anyone seeking more information on their own background would discover many areas in which to research, and gain plenty of insights as to exactly how the process took place.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
As everyone know, out of all the injustices that took place on this soil, slavery often ranks number one in a lot of people's heart. Although it's not right to say so because it undermines other wrongs done to people of all ethnicity. Yet at the end of the day, as a black person I ask myself what did it profit, and what did all the suffering under Jim Crow profit? You had 300+ years of free labor and at the end of day, no black slave received anything when they were set free. I often been told freedom itself were the slaves' reparations, that good white men gave their lives to fight for our freedom against the south. So slavery was repaid in being set free.

Then you had the period of terrorism on black people and the subsequent Jim Crow era. In that period black people tried to get on their feet in this country, but without protection under the law, we could only go so far. Eventually that led to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. After that we finally got protection under the law, and even programs like Affirmative Action got thrown into the mix. Yet at the end of the day, those programs weren't just for black people, but all minorities and white women. To this day white women benefited more from Affirmative Action than any other group, and by association the program help white families more than black families. Again, no specific reparations or payment of any kind was given to those black people who suffered during Jim Crow.

So my thinking is here are two times where black people's suffering profited nothing. I used to think at least from the Civil Rights Movement, black people contributed to all minority people and women with all the civil rights programs that was issued as a result. I used to think because of black people's suffering in the early 20th century, other people coming into this country wouldn't have to suffer in the same way because of the Civil Rights Movement. Yet when I talk to people about it who's family immigrated here, they give all the credit to the hard work of their family in making it. I at least thought we had that contribution to the US, but no one is really thankful for that, it's not their history. At the end of the day then, what worth is there from all that suffering? The only thing I get from that history is it's over, no one is to blame for that, and that we should get over it. I see no contribution to the US if immigrants didn't need our suffering, and slavery itself was a legal activity.
I think that horrors of slavery & Jim Crow should be remembered as a reflection of the past, and that survivors of such horrific & oppressive ordeals have the right to use such & such plights to show damages, but for those that didn't go through such or experience such, they shouldn't use it as an excuse.

When people don't know the past or history, people & humanity are doomed to repeat it.

The past should never be used as an excuse but only for reflective historical memory.

As for Holocaust & the Jews, that gets talked about more than slavery & Jim Crow even though most of the people that suffered & perished in the Holocaust were NON Jews. So people need to get over the Holocaust as well.

Humanity needs to focus on the present & future & what we need to do now to make the world a better place with justice & equality.

Last edited by SobreTodo; 08-06-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,955 times
OK. I'm not going to be the most popular guy for saying this.. but. I have nothing whatsoever to do with that any more than *you* having anything to do with slavery either. 'What, me????', you're probably saying to yourself. Yep, you. Guess what? Blacks sold other blacks into slavery in Africa. This is rarely told, but verifiable history. So, if you want repercussions, be sure and go after the original instigators and initiators of slavery in Africa, and sue them for damages. Let's not forget about rich black (freemen) slaveowners in the US, as well.. they need to be indicted as co-conspirators! I have nothing against people of color, BTW, and have no problem dating them (females). The thing is, don't forget history's mistakes, but don't harp on them, either. Learn from them, learn to get along with other folks, and understand that not everyone of a certain skin color should be vilified for something they had no more control over than a butterfly has to do with forming a tornado!

Last edited by Mre2u2; 08-06-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History