Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,329 times

Advertisements

I still struggle with this concept.

I see Africa more like in "Lion King"...happy Tribal groups living in the forest with spiritual rhythms and dances living in harmony in the great circle of life, all of the sudden invaded and destroyed by greedy slave owners from the Southern US who wanted someone else to grow their cotton and tobacco for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Every conquered people have been "enslaved" by the victors. They rape the country of its treasure and sell off its people. It has been this way for thousands of years. Even the Russians did it to the Germans after WW2.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM

553 posts, read 596,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

I see Africa more like in "Lion King"...happy Tribal groups living in the forest with spiritual rhythms and dances living in harmony in the great circle of life, all of the sudden invaded and destroyed by greedy slave owners from the Southern US who wanted someone else to grow their cotton and tobacco for them
Boy are you misinformed! Africa not only had Black slaves and Black slave masters centuries before the White man began buying a few of them--Africa still has Black slaves and Black slave masters. Young Black men were traditionally warriors; did it ever occur to you this meant they were constantly going to war with each other? The reason the Europeans were able to carve Africa up into colonies was because the African tribes were busy fighting each other. When African warriors made raids and captured people from other tribes they made slaves of them. Well they sure weren't going to house, feed and clothe these people while they sat around idle all day, and the whole idea of raiding another tribe's village was to make yourself rich off the loot. A slave could be traded for loot somebody else had, and when White men began showing up around 1500 they had lots of interesting things to trade and about the only thing the Africans had to offer in return were slaves.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
I do not think the OP is serious.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,726 times
And don't forget about the white slaves of Africa.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
An anti-slavery writer who signed his name “Othello,” wrote that slavery was quite benign in Africa until Europeans became involved. He accused them of inciting warfare among the tribes so that there would be an increase in the number of slaves. It was assumed that Benjamin Banneker was the anonymous person who actually wrote this, but IMO this is what made slaves a commercially viable export.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM

472 posts, read 925,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
An anti-slavery writer who signed his name “Othello,” wrote that slavery was quite benign in Africa until Europeans became involved. He accused them of inciting warfare among the tribes so that there would be an increase in the number of slaves. It was assumed that Benjamin Banneker was the anonymous person who actually wrote this, but IMO this is what made slaves a commercially viable export.
How much inciting did they need?

As for the title of this thread, the answer is clearly yes. Every human society has had slavery, and all too many of them still do.

No offence, but I don't think I'd regard The Lion King as a work of history.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:43 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

This is a joke, right?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not think the OP is serious.
Scarily, across a variety of topics, I think he is.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone8 View Post
How much inciting did they need?

As for the title of this thread, the answer is clearly yes. Every human society has had slavery, and all too many of them still do.

No offence, but I don't think I'd regard The Lion King as a work of history.
Great Documents in Black History,
Edited by George Ducas with Charles Van Doren
Introduction by C. Eric Lincoln ,editorial consultant
Praeger Publishers, 1970
Library of congress catalog card number : 73-96293

"The practice which has been followed by the English nation since the the establishment of the slave trade-I mean that of stirring up the natives of Africa against each other with a view of purchasing the prisoners mutually taken in battle-" pg34

No offense taken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History