Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM

380 posts, read 1,230,138 times

Advertisements

General George Washington or General Andrew Jackson

Old Hickory was dirty... he might throw dirt in georges face.. but on the other hand George might not fall for his dirty tricks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Miyamoto Musashi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Nope -- the winner would be Obi Wan Kenobi.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Well, I'd vote for Jackson. He came from frontier stock and had a lot of killing experience both in war and dueling; but he might have been a bit past his prime by the time he became president.

Washington was more a lead the army from his horse or tent kind of guy; was an officer from the beginning of his career and as the son of a wealthy plantation owner was used to a rather cushy life.

Miyamoto Musashi would have wasted them both at the same time though.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
How about Jackson vs Nixon? I think The Big Dick would have won because he would have arranged in advance for Jackson's sword to be stolen and secretly replace by a breakaway prop sword.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
General George Washington or General Andrew Jackson

Old Hickory was dirty... he might throw dirt in georges face.. but on the other hand George might not fall for his dirty tricks.
I would put my money on George as he was from a more genteel background and thus more likely to have been schooled in swordsmanship than Old Hickory who was probably more comfortable with a dueling pistol.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I would put my money on George as he was from a more genteel background and thus more likely to have been schooled in swordsmanship than Old Hickory who was probably more comfortable with a dueling pistol.
While Washington is the far more admirable character, we have to recognize that Jackson was a stone cold killer. In Jackson's second duel against Charles Dickinson in 1806, Dickinson fired first and hit Jackson in the chest close to his heart. Jackson remained on his feet and prepared his shot. Dickinson tried to run away, but was nabbed by the seconds and brought back to the line. All that time Jackson stood there bleeding, waiting for his turn. When it came he took deliberate aim and shot Dickinson in the groin. Dickinson died slowly and painfully. The bullet that struck Jackson was never removed.

When Richard Lawrence attempted to assassinate Jackson in 1835, and both of his pistols misfired, Jackson attacked him with his cane and got in several good whacks before others subdued Lawrence.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
While Washington is the far more admirable character, we have to recognize that Jackson was a stone cold killer. In Jackson's second duel against Charles Dickinson in 1806, Dickinson fired first and hit Jackson in the chest close to his heart. Jackson remained on his feet and prepared his shot. Dickinson tried to run away, but was nabbed by the seconds and brought back to the line. All that time Jackson stood there bleeding, waiting for his turn. When it came he took deliberate aim and shot Dickinson in the groin. Dickinson died slowly and painfully. The bullet that struck Jackson was never removed.

When Richard Lawrence attempted to assassinate Jackson in 1835, and both of his pistols misfired, Jackson attacked him with his cane and got in several good whacks before others subdued Lawrence.
Agree on Jackson's fortitude but fencing takes skills that Washington was more likely to have possessed than Jackson due to his more patrician Virginia upbringing. Though I've never researched it, I would think Jefferson would have been quite skilled as well based on his similar Virginia background and interests in all things European.

I believe they'd have used the equivalent of French smallswords which are thrusting swords that rely on the ability to gain geometric advantage over the other's blade and parry attacks rather than use of brute force. Washington and Jackson would have been evenly matched height-wise so no advantage there.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
How about Jackson vs Nixon? I think The Big Dick would have won because he would have arranged in advance for Jackson's sword to be stolen and secretly replace by a breakaway prop sword.
I have an old book on the history of newspaper cartoons. It has a political section, and a Herblock cartoon shows Johnson and Nixon dueling with swords when Nixon was V.P. and Johnson was a Senator. I'll try to dig it up and scan it.. when I read your post I thought of it immediately.

As to the original question- as I recall, Jackson killed someone in a duel; Jackson's wife was an accidental bigamist due to a mistake in court divorce records, and the guy made aspersions against her.

Both were Generals. I can't remember reading anything about Washington killing someone in battle, but he could have, especially on his Christmas day raid after crossing the Delaware. Jackson could have too, in the Battle of New Orleans. That battle was fought at close range, with a lot of smoke and fog obscuring the battlefield. I think both men were physically courageous.

Both were most likely proficient with sabers. Sword training was de rigeur for officers back then, and Washington was essentially a professional soldier, as was Jackson.
If they were in a fair fight when both were in their prime, I think I would bet on Washington- he was 6'3" and was powerfully built. Jackson was about 5'6" and wiry. Reach counts in a swordfight.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Interesting question and I think banjomike gave a pretty good summary.

In actual fighting skills at least based on what we know Jackson would seem to be the favorite. Washington never received any formal military training and fencing wasn't exactly a common "sport" among colonial gentry and Washington wasn't exactly part of the true elite when he was growing up. In fact chances are Washingtons sword never left its scabard unless it was to make a show or rally troops. Chances are Washington himself never killed anyone or directly engaged in any actual fighting. Contrast that with Jackson who while he didn't have any formal military training, served in various capacities and personally fought in many battles and duels. Jackson was hands down the more experienced fighter.

Physically though, as banjomike pointed out, Jackson was at a major disadvantage against Washington since Washington was a full 9" taller and much stronger. A duel may have come down to weapons chosen. Heavier longswords or sabres would have favored Washington, while rapiers would have favored the faster Jackson assuming he could get inside Washingtons reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History