Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Das Boot - Now there's a movie with IMPACT.

Of course it doesn't hurt any that I first saw that film in a jam-packed movie-house on a really warm summer evening when the air-conditioning had failed.

It was hot and airless and we were all sweating like pigs. When the boat was stuck on the bottom and the crew couldn't breath we all felt like we were right in there with them. In addition the place had a great stereo system so when the depth charges went off, the whole place (seats and all) vibrated with the impact). WOW!

Sure added to the experience, I have to admit.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM

110 posts, read 292,669 times
My sincerest apologies for being in a place I don't belong. Sometimes I just can't seem to leave the early 1970's. Lou

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujr View Post
My sincerest apologies for being in a place I don't belong.
If you like to discuss Historical events no matter what time era about any event then you are in the right place lou

Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
I agree that this country was built on military action. In fact, can't think of one that wasn't. However, there is a difference between historical value and shock value. In the film, "Saving Pvt. Ryan" (1998), the authenticity was hard to watch. Reality is always better than fiction, but images like those are hard to forget. Another, "Wind Talkers" (2002) about the Navaho radio translators, has a napalm scene that I have to look away from. But, to be historically accurate, my father came home after his 25th sortie, at 6'3" he weighed 90 lbs and had gray hair. Nobody would ever understand the horror of combat unless they were there, but Hollywood tries.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I have a great battle scene. It's not WWII but the ''War of the Worlds'' Original version....lol..... I figured i'd interject a little humor here but the battle scenes are so cool.
It's the U.S.Army vs the Martians.

YouTube - War of the Worlds (1953) Martians come out of the pit

Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Old thread, but close enough for what I want to post. My favorite WW-II videos were the old Victory At Sea series that were on TV in the 1950s.

Here's a photo from the National Archives that is just amazing. F4U's and F6F's fly in formation during surrender ceremonies; Tokyo, Japan. USS MISSOURI left foreground. September 2, 1945.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I was a kid in the 50's and was mesmerized by the old Victory at Sea series. Back in the day a lot of our fathers were WW2 vets and they brought back an amazing collection of souvenirs and war stories. We collected and traded all kinds of stuff. German medals, belt buckles, daggers and flags.

And in the Army surplus stores there was all kinds of US military equipment. Ammunition belts for the M1 Garand. First aid pouches, old canvas lace up leggings, helmets and other gear. I wish I had held on to these items. I imagine some of it would command a decent price from military memorabilia collectors.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
I can not for the life of me understand how you people can seeming get your jollies out of watching men kill each other. After my return to the "world", I was in a graduate course called, "WWII", taught by a former infantry officer. One day he began extolling the virtues of, 'enfalaid fire' (not sure of the spelling but I understand it ... no one gets out unscathed let alone alive)... anyway, he's talking abt. how great it is . With six hours and a thesis left to finish my masters, I got up, walked out of the class and couldn't go back. PTSD. My gut still gets tight thinking about it.
I respectfully suggest some of you arm chair historians put down your games and/or remote controls and have a real war experience. There's one going on now if you haven't heard. Volunteer, sign up, grab a weapon. You can see all the blood and guts you want in real time, living (or should I say dead) color, and like the poor SOB's in the WWII footage you watch of eather side, not have any options but to be there and take it. If there is something you feel you must watch, I suggest the first portion of, "Full Metal Jacket" (the Basic Training part). It is about as close to the real deal as I am sure many of you may want to get but as I remember, very accurate, even though I was in a different branch of the service. Regards to all you warriors out there who don't list anything in your profiles. Lou
I understand your perspective.

I recommend reading "The Face of Battle" by John Keegan, one of the best historians, military or otherwise of the 20th/early 21st century.

He makes the argument in that book, through several of historys major dramatic conflicts, for why military history matters & why understanding it is a part of understanding human nature.

He also does not hold back how truly awful and gruesome war & battle is & by learning more about it, we should hopefully learn to have less of it.

As for video, I'd recommend Ken Burns "The War" and PBS "Victory in the Pacific"

Old 05-26-2018, 01:55 PM

608 posts, read 515,812 times
I have watched Ken Burn's "The War" three times now since it was first shown on PBS. I can't remember watching a war documentary that went into such detail about the home front, and it was fascinating to me. I loved "The Civil War" too. I think Ken Burns is the best Documentary Film Maker ever.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
I can not for the life of me understand how you people can seeming get your jollies out of watching men kill each other. After my return to the "world", I was in a graduate course called, "WWII", taught by a former infantry officer. One day he began extolling the virtues of, 'enfalaid fire' (not sure of the spelling but I understand it ... no one gets out unscathed let alone alive)... anyway, he's talking abt. how great it is . With six hours and a thesis left to finish my masters, I got up, walked out of the class and couldn't go back. PTSD. My gut still gets tight thinking about it.
I respectfully suggest some of you arm chair historians put down your games and/or remote controls and have a real war experience. There's one going on now if you haven't heard. Volunteer, sign up, grab a weapon. You can see all the blood and guts you want in real time, living (or should I say dead) color, and like the poor SOB's in the WWII footage you watch of eather side, not have any options but to be there and take it. If there is something you feel you must watch, I suggest the first portion of, "Full Metal Jacket" (the Basic Training part). It is about as close to the real deal as I am sure many of you may want to get but as I remember, very accurate, even though I was in a different branch of the service. Regards to all you warriors out there who don't list anything in your profiles. Lou

I went through Marine Corps Boot San Diego in 1966 during the build up for Vietnam. The drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket was played by R Lee Ermey who was an actual DI in my recruit training company at the time. He was medically discharged some time later and took up an acting career. A lot of that film was historically accurate especially boot camp. There were suicides and physical punishment was the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History