Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,643,659 times

Advertisements

I think our obsession is trying to read into these things in history. We really aren't ever going to find out what the real sexuality of these past presidents were. Bottom line: who really cares? It isn't going to change the future one bit. We have bigger fish to fry. We need to focus on how to improve our situation today.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,969,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I think our obsession is trying to read into these things in history. We really aren't ever going to find out what the real sexuality of these past presidents were. Bottom line: who really cares? It isn't going to change the future one bit. We have bigger fish to fry. We need to focus on how to improve our situation today.
I agree we should not obsess nor put too much importance on the actual sex lives of important people in history. The educational value of knowing if Buchanan was gay, Abe Lincoln might have had bisexual tendencies, or that Eleanor Roosevelt had a passionate relationship with another woman just helps us have a better and more realistic understanding of the fluidity of human sexuality. In this regard Europeans are more honest about the lives of their rulers than we are.

We Americans often still cling to the pretty myths that George Washington cut down the cherry tree, that Betsy Ross created the first flag, that Thomas Jefferson couldn't father a child by one of his slaves, or that Dwight Eisenhower didn't commit adultery and have a mistress.

No, it shouldn't matter. The more important question was that person's historical legacy. Still, it's fun to know who was doing what to whom ... if it wasn't we wouldn't have tabloids or movie gossip magazines.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 PM

484 posts, read 562,267 times
Toward that end, if people haven't discovered the CSPAN "Presidents" and "First Ladies" series, you have a MASSIVE treat in store. They started these several years ago now. They go to a historical site associated with each president, give you a little summary of their presidency, then have a call in show with 2-3 historians who have written books (sometimes multiple books) about that president -- and open the phone lines to the public for open questions for about 2-3 hours. Any question is fair game. Completely fascinating what people ask, and what the historians know. After they finished doing all the presidents, they went back and did all the first ladies as well.

I mean, really, when was the last time you were glued to the TV watching a two hour show about Millard Fillmore? But I'm telling you, if you've got a historical bone in your body, you find yourself riveted to see what the next question is.

And the very best thing? If you missed them when they were broadcast, you can watch them at your convenience, for free, through the archives of cspan.org

Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,835,529 times
It was kind of a mixed bag concerning homosexuality in the 19th century.

First, being caught in homosexual acts was a much bigger issue, resulting in the death penalty in many states. Nobody was open about being a homosexual. However, in some ways it was probably easier to get away with being gay in the closet back then than even today. Homosexuality was not yet perceived as an orientation. Men could also get away with things back then without others thinking they were gay that they couldn't today because of homophobia. Back then, intimacy didn't have to be sexual. For instance, through 21st century eyes, Abe Lincoln having another guy he slept in the same bed with regularly would almost certainly mean there was some kind of homosexual relationship going on. In the culture of the 19th century, that might or might not have been the case.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM

331 posts, read 382,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

First, being caught in homosexual acts was a much bigger issue, resulting in the death penalty in many states. Nobody was open about being a homosexual. However, in some ways it was probably easier to get away with being gay in the closet back then than even today. Homosexuality was not yet perceived as an orientation. Men could also get away with things back then without others thinking they were gay that they couldn't today because of homophobia. Back then, intimacy didn't have to be sexual. For instance, through 21st century eyes, Abe Lincoln having another guy he slept in the same bed with regularly would almost certainly mean there was some kind of homosexual relationship going on. In the culture of the 19th century, that might or might not have been the case.
Great points. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,574 times
Call me naive but I don't think sleeping in the same bed is proof of anything. Especially when people had large families and tiny homes. Sharing a bed was a necessity. When you grow up sharing beds then it feels, and likely is, completely ordinary.

Sharing a bed at that time in history means almost nothing.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:37 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Great points. Thanks for sharing.
In what states were consensual homosexual acts a capital offense? I have seen compilations of every known legal execution in the U. S. for that period but never one listed for that.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

According to this anti-capital punishment site, between 1608 and 2002 there were 15 executions for sodomy/buggery/bestiality out of a total of 14,810 total executions in lands that became part of the U. S., or in the U. S. proper. During the same period there were 35 executions for witchcraft, and I would be willing to bet that any execution for a consensual homosexual act occurred during that same period (I am pretty sure the colonial period only covered the time they were English colonies).

US Executions from 1608-2002

Old 10-31-2015, 05:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,969,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
In what states were consensual homosexual acts a capital offense? I have seen compilations of every known legal execution in the U. S. for that period but never one listed for that.
I think capital punishment for "Sodomy/Buggery" mostly came to an end with American Independence. Thomas Jefferson was against it. He recommended castration as opposed to execution.

Speaking of American Independence, it is very likely Baron von Steuben was gay. He was facing criminal charges in Europe for homosexual conduct and he wasn't keen on coming to America to help organize our Continental Army, but he had few options. He came here with his boyfriend in tow.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:16 PM

8,513 posts, read 6,931,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think capital punishment for "Sodomy/Buggery" mostly came to an end with American Independence. Thomas Jefferson was against it. He recommended castration as opposed to execution.

Speaking of American Independence, it is very likely Baron von Steuben was gay. He was facing criminal charges in Europe for homosexual conduct and he wasn't keen on coming to America to help organize our Continental Army, but he had few options. He came here with his boyfriend in tow.
How generous of Thomas Jefferson to favor castration over death. Of course he never considered it a crime to sexually exploit slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History