Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 AM

16,766 posts, read 15,831,237 times

Advertisements

This thread is not about WWII. Please stay on topic (even when the premise is as ridiculous as this one).

Old 04-02-2016, 04:09 PM

51,354 posts, read 24,763,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This thread is not about WWII. Please stay on topic (even when the premise is as ridiculous as this one).
There must be something wrong with my computer. Although the "headline" talks about Vietnam, the first post says: "Along with Iraq and Afghanistan. Why do Americans insist on believing that Americans won WW2, when the Soviet Union did most of the work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 AM

2,692 posts, read 2,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintcandy88 View Post
Along with Iraq and Afghanistan. Why do Americans insist on believing that Americans won WW2, when the Soviet Union did most of the work.

Ah yes... opening up a new front in the relentless war for hearts and minds. Now we have the collective anonymous "Americans" who allegedly "insist" on believing "America won WW2". As if we could be ludicrous enough to believe the Left Wing run school system would be teaching something so flattering about the people obliged to pay their salaries, in exchange for vitriol and subversion.

Why not save your critical theory cattiness for the other Lefties in your quarantined stratosphere?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,655,555 times
Question Why don't Americans admit that Vietnam was a failure?

Two things:

1) Why don't trolls come up with better questions?

-and-

2) Why do posters continue to respond to dead troll threads?

The OP has been banned.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,228,164 times
We don't even talk about it, much less admit. It's almost like war didn't happen. We never learned about it in HS and MS.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,313,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Operations wins battles; logistics wins wars."
you forget about INTEL. Intel and Logistics are not glamorous so they don't get credit

Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM

28,731 posts, read 18,971,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you forget about INTEL. Intel and Logistics are not glamorous so they don't get credit
No, I never forget intel because I was intel. I'm lumping intel with "operations" in that particular concept--we directly supported the operators. Logistics as a function, of course, had its own operators and they had their intel support as well.

But in high-level terms, winning a war is most often given to the side that can consistently get to each battle "the firstest with the mostest." And that's logistics.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:57 PM

11,968 posts, read 25,577,829 times
Many patriotic peoples in the world refuse to admit they shouldn't have fought a war. Has Mongolia ever apologized for the genocide Ghengis and company did? Has Turkey ever apologized for the Armenian genocide?

About half of Americans are introspective and openly admit that many of our wars were wrong. The other half of us think it's treason to admit anything the USA ever did was wrong. Europe largely lacks a population with the attitude. Russia largely lacks people who question anything. USA is in between.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,409,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
We don't even talk about it, much less admit. It's almost like war didn't happen. We never learned about it in HS and MS.
In 1996 my high school art teacher gave his talk about vietnam to each of our three history classes as he did every year. He was taken at 18 directly from the place where they gave the physicals. His tears, ours, photo books of dead vietnamese, etc that he took while there.

i was born in 1978 and will never forget Vietnam after that day, thank you. To me, it is the most real of probably all the wars due to my age. It was everywhere in the 80's and even the very early 90's...

Old 04-16-2016, 07:08 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,489,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Many patriotic peoples in the world refuse to admit they shouldn't have fought a war. Has Mongolia ever apologized for the genocide Ghengis and company did? Has Turkey ever apologized for the Armenian genocide?

About half of Americans are introspective and openly admit that many of our wars were wrong. The other half of us think it's treason to admit anything the USA ever did was wrong. Europe largely lacks a population with the attitude. Russia largely lacks people who question anything. USA is in between.
The Mongolians were victorious in most battles they fought. The OP asks why Americans don't admit the war in Vietnam was a failure?
It depends how you view it. I think the concept that led to Vietnam (inherited from the Eisenhower administration) was wrong. It was the "domino concept" which claimed that if one piece falls to communism others will follow immidietly (that part was correct) and that will pose a direct threat to US (totally wrong). Most policy makers and analysts (democrats and republicans) accepted this "truth" as fact. To me this is the root of all failures.
I think most Americans agree about the Vietnam outcome, though there are differences on how that could have been avoided and what steps US should have taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History