Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM

101 posts, read 103,799 times

Advertisements

any good stories about where you were when Michael Jackson died for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I was in 5th grade and just beginning my after school stint as a crossing guard when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I was very young when Reagan was shot, and I remember seeing it on the TV news. That's the first news event I was old enough to be aware of.

I remember sitting on my bed listening to the radio when the evening news announced Kurt Cobain's death.

I was at work when 9/11 became known. I was in an office where we didn't have access to TV, and only one or two people had small radios. The news websites all crashed due to high traffic, and it wasn't until late in the morning that I was able to get the BBC news site to get some info. That was a surreal day.

I'll try to make a note of where I am if Trump wins the presidential election. Or Clinton, for that matter. Milestone either way. Heh.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:45 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Stories? Nothing all that interesting. But yes, so many historical moments have marked moments in my life that would otherwise be forgotten.

Reagan being shot
The Challenger disaster
The Berlin Wall coming down
The Soviet coup in 1991
9/11
The collapse of Lehman Brothers
The announcement that Osama bin Laden was dead

Also, on a local note, the collapse of the 35W bridge in Minneapolis. Everyone in and near the Twin Cities remembers that.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I was very young when Reagan was shot, and I remember seeing it on the TV news. That's the first news event I was old enough to be aware of.

I remember sitting on my bed listening to the radio when the evening news announced Kurt Cobain's death.

I was at work when 9/11 became known. I was in an office where we didn't have access to TV, and only one or two people had small radios. The news websites all crashed due to high traffic, and it wasn't until late in the morning that I was able to get the BBC news site to get some info. That was a surreal day.

I'll try to make a note of where I am if Trump wins the presidential election. Or Clinton, for that matter. Milestone either way. Heh.
Sort of an aside, but I have never forgotten a letter that a little boy, about age 7, sent to Pres. Reagan after he was shot. IIRC Reagen read it out loud at a press conference or another public event, can't remember which one. In the letter the little boy tells the president to get better, "otherwise he will have to wear his pajamas"to his Inauguration events.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM

862 posts, read 1,198,099 times
I was on the radio when I had announced that Kurt Cobain had died and before that when Conway Twitty had passed and years later it was dittos with Tammy Wynette. The thing I remember was how when I had announced on the air that they had died the phone calls I had received shortly thereafter from listeners who were mad at ME because they had the idea it was some kind of a joke.

A buddy of mine was on the air when Dale Earnhardt was killed. Same thing happened to him. Many at first had refused to believe it and took out their anger at him for "..making up such a story".

Looking back now I can understand with Twitty & Cobain since the internet pretty much didn't exist at the time of their deaths and few had it when Wynette had died but with Dale Earnhardt that one surprises me.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
9/11...inside One World Trade Center at 8:46 a.m., carrying my just-purchased breakfast out of the cafeteria when the building suddenly slammed sideways. Threw food. Ran. Ran. Ran some more.

JFK - age 5, in the waiting room of the dentist. My mother and the nurse suddenly dashed over to a radio that had been playing. I wasn't sure what was happening, but it seemed bad enough that I hoped it meant I wouldn't have to see the dentist. No such luck.

MLK - my pet hamster had died that afternoon. I was heartbroken. My older brother came home and said Martin Luther King had been shot. She denies it now, but I clearly recall my mother saying, "I didn't really care for him anyway." I didn't know who he was. Sparky was dead, and that was all that mattered. At least I will always know what day my hamster died!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
I was on the radio when I had announced that Kurt Cobain had died and before that when Conway Twitty had passed and years later it was dittos with Tammy Wynette. The thing I remember was how when I had announced on the air that they had died the phone calls I had received shortly thereafter from listeners who were mad at ME because they had the idea it was some kind of a joke.

A buddy of mine was on the air when Dale Earnhardt was killed. Same thing happened to him. Many at first had refused to believe it and took out their anger at him for "..making up such a story".

Looking back now I can understand with Twitty & Cobain since the internet pretty much didn't exist at the time of their deaths and few had it when Wynette had died but with Dale Earnhardt that one surprises me.
My sister lives in sight and hearing of the Pocono Raceway, so a lot of people in her area are into the racing world. I was visiting her and someone called and said Dale Earnhardt had died. Everyone was a little shaken by the news. I wasn't a big race fan, but my ex was, so I knew who he was and felt bad.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
I was 14 and in high school typing class when the principal announced over the P.A. that Kennedy had been shot in the head. I remember thinking He's the President, it can't be that bad. He'll be OK. Then 30 minutes later, when I was in the cafeteria line, the principal came back on the P.A. to announce that Kennedy was dead, and that we were all dismissed for the day. A girl standing in line with me started to cry. My friends and I ate our tuna and noodle lunch and went home. We were in shock. It never occurred to me to turn on the TV, so I listened to the radio, which was playing classical music nonstop. When school resumed on Tuesday, the flags were at half-staff. I had never seen that before.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 PM

122 posts, read 42,987 times
I was at work in northern New Jersey on 9/11. Most terrible day I wish I could erase from my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History