Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times

Advertisements

I saw the Challenger explode (wow, that was 30 years ago!!) on live t.v. at school. The teacher ran and turned it off. Many of us were in tears.

9/11 - I was in the military, just cleaning up from P.T. My first call was to my mother to ensure her that I was o.k. I couldn't reach my sister (she was on a Navy ship), and wouldn't be able to for several days.

I will never forget that awful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
I remember exactly what I was doing when a local chick got crowned Miss Universe

I think the entire country nearly fell over #maybeitsnotriggedafterall

But that was in Pre Trump Days

What are you talking about?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I saw the Challenger explode (wow, that was 30 years ago!!) on live t.v. at school. The teacher ran and turned it off. Many of us were in tears.

I watched that on TV with my elementary school class as well! Wow, the usually chatty teacher had no words, we were really all stunned.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who? (kidding)

The hallmark "Where were you when Kennedy died" question that I suppose defines the Boomer generation has given way to the "Where were you and what were you doing when 9/11 happened". I'm not aware of any others.
Me neither, except maybe the Challenger explosion. Michael Jackson was just a celebrity. I am sure his life had value, but all I remember was being mad that Farrah Fawcet got barely a mention when she died that day too. Oh, and being annoyed that every single morning the only thing the morning shows talked about was MJ's death. I imagine there were many untold deaths of really important people in that time period that we never heard about, like military people dying in our wars, while the GMA people were blathering on about Jackson's death for weeks on end. Ugh!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I was four when the Challenger exploded. I just remember it being on TV and my parents watching. When OJ's white Bronco chase happened we landed in the Minneapolis airport after our Disney World trip. I was in my dorm in college when 9/11 happened. Classes were cancelled and it was eerie having no planes fly overhead.
Oh, thanks for the reminder of the time the news pre-empted my home team's game in the NBA Finals to watch a whole lot of nothing happening. I was so mad that night! Believe me, basketball fans in Houston and New York were apoplectic about that interruption. Then when they finally went back to the game in progress, we had to hear Marv Albert apologize for not showing the OJ Simpson chase!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
When OJ's white Bronco chase happened we landed in the Minneapolis airport after our Disney World trip.
I was standing in our front yard watching Simpson and a couple dozen cop cars go by.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:03 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,147,227 times
I was the Wing Supervisor of Flying on September 11th, had to orchestrate the recall of the wing's airborne aircraft and the closure of the US airspace in the vicinity. The wing commander sent a bunch of us home a couple hours later and brought us back late that night, and at 3 AM until almost 8 AM the next morning I was flying over a city in case the terrorists tried anything again. The 11th is something of a blur, I was so busy for several hours, getting an air defense plan and checklist ready before being sent home (we'd never had to do air sovereignty before.) The 12th actually stands out to me more, because as the sun came up I noticed way below traffic start to fill the freeways and major streets, school buses picking up kids (with their strobe lights on them), the downtown area getting its normal congestion, and life was more or less going on. Different, but going on still.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I was sailing off the coast of South Carolina when I found out Princess Di had died. It came over the radio. Really weird.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,463 times
My husband and I were in suburban Md for a few days before 9/11. We scouting out the area due to an upcoming job transfer and had traveled there by car from suburban NY with our docile 7 yr old golden retriever. We were scheduled to check out of our hotel for the drive back on the morning of 9/11 but the evening before our dog suddenly began howling for no apparent reason. This was extremely unusual since he had been fine the previous few days and had never exhibited this behavior before. So we decided to pack up and head home a day early before anyone complained. Back home the next morning we saw what unfolded on tv at the WTC. We were already in shock over this unbelievable act of terrorism but came to realize had our dog not behaved so uncharacteristically we would have been stuck in NJ since all the bridges and tunnels in and out of NYC were shut down. It was surreal and made us wonder if any other animals exhibited strange behavior before 9/11 since it was not a natural occurance like an earthquake. I'll never forget it!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Michael Jackson?!? LOL.

For this kind of question, people usually refer to the deaths of presidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History