Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:14 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

I can't exactly bring myself to say any of his fans here. But I've always been fascinated by him. We seem to like What if scenarios on this forum (it's my first time posting here) so I thought I'd post one I saw briefly debated in a rather extensive book about his 6 wives. Henry's attempts to get his first marriage annulled so he could remarry is probably the most studied act of his life. He wanted to marry Anne Boleyn, primarily to obtain a male heir. At one point during the long struggle to get his annulment Anne became ill with what was called the sweating sickness. Of course she survived. But what if she had not? Would her death have caused Henry to abandon his quest for an annulment of his marriage to Katherine of Aragon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I can't exactly bring myself to say any of his fans here. But I've always been fascinated by him. We seem to like What if scenarios on this forum (it's my first time posting here) so I thought I'd post one I saw briefly debated in a rather extensive book about his 6 wives. Henry's attempts to get his first marriage annulled so he could remarry is probably the most studied act of his life. He wanted to marry Anne Boleyn, primarily to obtain a male heir. At one point during the long struggle to get his annulment Anne became ill with what was called the sweating sickness. Of course she survived. But what if she had not? Would her death have caused Henry to abandon his quest for an annulment of his marriage to Katherine of Aragon?
No, because Henry needed an heir. He wanted sons. Katherine had only born one child that lived, a girl, Mary. If Anne had succumbed to the sweat, he would have found another woman to pursue.

There was also favor to be gained by the factions representing various interests. I am sure some of the powerful families would have dangled lovely women in front of Henry in order to gain favor with him to further gain power and wealth. Think of the Seymours with Jane and the Howards with Katherine (#2).

Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
No, because Henry needed an heir. He wanted sons. Katherine had only born one child that lived, a girl, Mary. If Anne had succumbed to the sweat, he would have found another woman to pursue.

There was also favor to be gained by the factions representing various interests. I am sure some of the powerful families would have dangled lovely women in front of Henry in order to gain favor with him to further gain power and wealth. Think of the Seymours with Jane and the Howards with Katherine (#2).
Got to find the book that brought up this question ...... the author strongly leaned to your view. She felt, however, that a foreign princess would have been pushed on Henry. One young enough, of course, to bear children.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Got to find the book that brought up this question ...... the author strongly leaned to your view. She felt, however, that a foreign princess would have been pushed on Henry. One young enough, of course, to bear children.
Was it The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir?

It was the last book about Henry that I read.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Was it The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir?

It was the last book about Henry that I read.
Yes, that was the one. She also brought up Cardinal Wolsey as being a primary mover in Henry marrying a foreign princess, with a preference towards a French lady.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 AM

122 posts, read 113,362 times
He could not have married a French lady as he needed a papal dissolution, impossible.

He could not have sired a legitimate son as he was BARREN, not because his accidents in a joust but genetically.

The son he sired with Jane, I believe, was probably not legitimate.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim1000 View Post
He could not have married a French lady as he needed a papal dissolution, impossible.

He could not have sired a legitimate son as he was BARREN, not because his accidents in a joust but genetically.

He was seeking an annulment to his marriage, which would have left him able to remarry.

I have no reason to think his son with Jane Seymour was illegitimate. What makes you think so?

Old 05-08-2016, 12:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I learned about Henry Tudor from my mother, many years ago. She taught me this rhyme to keep things straight in my mind:

"Divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived."

Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:

Based on what? I have yet to encounter a reputable theory that Edward VI was anyone's son but Henry's.

Back to the original question. It would not have mattered if Anne Boleyn had survived or not. For not having male issue was a deadly serious matter. After all, England had just concluded the ruinous War of The Roses less than a generation earlier. So succession remained fresh on the mind of England.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-08-2016 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,680 times
Quote:

Whose child was Bloody Mary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History