Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:00 PM

243 posts, read 230,881 times

Advertisements

Ummm... speaking as a woman, prolly not. Women are subject to the very same lust for power and the same impulses to cruelty as men. I've seen this from other women throughout my life. The catalog of evils between men and women is about equal on both sides of the gender fence.

"Military mercy has been slow in coming to mankind. Even when a woman, Deborah, ruled the Hebrews, the same wholesale cruelty persisted. Her general in his victory over the gentiles caused "all the host to fall upon the sword; there was not one left."

So no, women are are not more merciful and wise than men. Let's just put that one to bed, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,539,536 times
Rulers for the most part haven't been cruel because they were men. Rulers have been and are cruel because they feel their power threatened and think that being cruel might neutralize that threat somehow. Rulers are sometimes cruel because the definition of a state is having a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. The whole idea of having power and law and order depends on maintaining that monopoly. As such, if another country is threatening your power, even symbolically, or you might wage a war to neutralize them, or to get more power so no bigger fish can threaten your power. Maybe your rivals in the regime are going to supplant you, so you scapegoat some group in society and people rally behind you and that makes you more powerful. Maybe your authority derives from religion, so you persecute the heretics to maintain the ideology that you derive your authority from. That's how it works, its inherent in the idea. Women have worked to maintain their power the same as the men because if they didn't, they wouldn't have that power. Men, too, can be merciful, loving, and nurturing. They have simply had fewer opportunities in history to be that way because men had power, and to assume that role has sometimes meant having to give up the other, so that you could be a soldier or stand to exploit others in business etc. There are differences between men and women, but they're not big enough to really make a significant change.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:46 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,448,492 times
The problem with the posts on this thread is that posters don't seem to understand that women who were ruthless political or military leaders were that way because they were operating by the rules of the patriarchy. They were surrounded by men, fighting against men, so of course they were playing by men's rules.

Women haven't ruled under women's rules because they've never been allowed to, except in small groups and pockets of societies.

Are there women who are violent, ruthless, lust for power- of course there are. Are there as many of them as there are men who want the same? No. Because women do not define themselves, their worth, or their womanhood by having power over others, by their ability to fight or kill. That is a uniquely patriarchal/masculine attribute.

This is what I will tell you - in situations where a female military force invades/invaded a town, city, country, (and I'm speaking historically here, not just present day) they wouldn't be raping women and killing babies.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:28 PM

6,579 posts, read 6,756,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The problem with the posts on this thread is that posters don't seem to understand that women who were ruthless political or military leaders were that way because they were operating by the rules of the patriarchy. They were surrounded by men, fighting against men, so of course they were playing by men's rules.

Women haven't ruled under women's rules because they've never been allowed to, except in small groups and pockets of societies.

Are there women who are violent, ruthless, lust for power- of course there are. Are there as many of them as there are men who want the same? No. Because women do not define themselves, their worth, or their womanhood by having power over others, by their ability to fight or kill. That is a uniquely patriarchal/masculine attribute.

This is what I will tell you - in situations where a female military force invades/invaded a town, city, country, (and I'm speaking historically here, not just present day) they wouldn't be raping women and killing babies.
The best way to settle this is ask women how they are treated by other women....you would be astounded.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The best way to settle this is ask women how they are treated by other women....you would be astounded.
I am a woman, and I don't engage it competitive or destructive relationships with women. The women I am friends with are women who have matured beyond such behavior.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,996,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneesa View Post
Just a thought. Women don't have the testosterone men do, are inherently more understanding, sympathetic and nurturing. Had women ruled the world since ancient times do you think we would be living in a world without war, violence, brutality, etc? A world where the likes of torture, violence, doesn't exist? Where considering women communicate more we could always just talk all our problems out, where things like child labor, oppression, tyranny don't exist, and we don't end up with people like
Like ghengis khan, Stalin and especially Hitler exist?
I dont know, but because women have less testosterone means they can never rule. They have no way to monopolize violence.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 PM

6,579 posts, read 6,756,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I am a woman, and I don't engage it competitive or destructive relationships with women. The women I am friends with are women who have matured beyond such behavior.
Good for you. What does that have to do with the other several billion women in the world ? If you think, in general, women treat other women with respect like the self-selected group you are involved with....you are at best, being naive.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,703,291 times
I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole !

Old 06-05-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post

Good for you. What does that have to do with the other several billion women in the world ? If you think, in general, women treat other women with respect like the self-selected group you are involved with....you are at best, being naive.
You said to ask women- I am a woman who knows many, many women.

Regardless, we are talking historically and politically, not social behavior. And again, women working under patriarchal rules and patriarchal oppression will be forced to use those rules more often than not, because they are oppressed or because in their society they literally do not know anything different because there is no veering from those rules. That is what the posters here do not seem to understand.

When women run societies where men have not set up the system, are not present, or in an extreme minority, we do not see the same kind of violent, anti-social, domineering behavior.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:37 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,340,467 times
This still a legitimate and working thread? Someone drug the mods or worse, forget too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History