Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,197,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And while we're at it - what about The Great Escape? Who can forget Steve McQueen on the motorbike and that great Elmer Bernstein film score.

The Great Escape (1963)

Ken
Another one added to the queue and that makes me want to revisit "The Bridge on the River Kwai" The Japanese prison camp comandant reminded me of the vile Korean department head where I used to work "If you work hard, you will be well treated. But if you do not work hard, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED!"

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Never saw The Beast. I will look for these
Pretty sure Netflix carries "The Beast" if you are member.
Be sure and make sure your subtitles are on for the afghan scenes. Dialogue is VERY important to this film and since the movie moves back and forth between the Soviets (speaking English) and the Afghans (subtitled) as they play their cat and mouse games and the story unfolds, if you don't see what the Afghans are saying along the way, the significance will be lost.

Truly a wonderful movie, largely overlooked (unfortunately). I rate it right up there with Das Boot and the other "best of the best" war movies - but don't just take my word for it, check out what some of the reviewers (professional or otherwise) out on IMDB (or ANY movie rating web site for that matter) say about it. It's really a shame that hardly anyone knows about this fine film.

I love it so much I bought it.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-28-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Another one added to the queue and that makes me want to revisit "The Bridge on the River Kwai" The Japanese prison camp comandant reminded me of the vile Korean department head where I used to work "If you work hard, you will be well treated. But if you do not work hard, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED!"

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
That and Lawrence of Arabia - of course.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,767,067 times
Quote:
Have not seen The Bicycle Thief, but Life is Beautiful was sooooo sad.

Ken
Really? You thought LIB was sad? I thought it was a beautiful film affirming that parental love conquers all. I was crying at the end though.

Bicycle Thief is about post WWII, post Mussolini Italy. So incredibly stark and powerful.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Really? You thought LIB was sad? I thought it was a beautiful film affirming that parental love conquers all. I was crying at the end though.
Yeah, it was that ending that was so very sad.
Really good movie though.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,741,518 times
For the stark realism of war and immediate post war, look for Roberto Rousslini trilogy
"Rome open city"
"Paisan"
"Germany year zero" B/W shot in 1947 Berlin....My favorite of the three for the stark depictation of the devestation of that city and what War does to the Human physc (sp)
Germany Year Zero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
I can't resist it: Jürgen Prochnow and 'Das Boot' were also featured in Broken Lizard's "Beerfest".

Quote:
The German movie Das Boot is referenced in the movie. Jürgen Prochnow, who plays Baron von Wolfhausen, starred as The Captain in the World War II submarine movie ("I start to feel all cooped up in these U-Boats; I had a bad experience once.").
Quote:
The large, beer-filled, boot-shaped glass termed "Das Boot" in the movie served as the grand finale' of all of the drinking games. Actually Das Boot translates as "the boat" in English. Der Stiefel would be the correct German terminology for "the boot." Such "Beer Boots" are known as Bierstiefel in Germany. They are descended from the centuries old German soldier's tradition of accepting the challenge to drink beer out of the other's boot. Ironically, the popularity of the movie Beerfest has popularized the naming of two liter Bierstiefel "das Boot."
Beerfest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
Back on topic - I enjoyed the film "Is Paris Burning?"

Quote:
The title is Hitler's question to his chief of staff Alfred Jodl on the eve of the liberation of Paris (August 25): the military governor of Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, had been ordered to destroy Paris rather than let it fall undamaged into the hands of the Allies, but General von Choltitz explicitly disobeyed that order.
Is Paris Burning? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,500,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Dude, it is filmed in color. Its just that the inside of Unterwasserboots are not particulalry colorful places.
DUDE!! When I first saw the film at a "film noir" festival in Berkeley, it was in black and white. And dont call me DUDE.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times
Quote:
Yeah, my uncle was in the navy and served on a number of different boats. His was the last American crew of the Grampus (SS-523 - not SS-207 (which was sunk in mid WW II)) and took my family for a tour on one of the days it was open to the public at Norfolk. She was an old boat (post WW II vintage) and very cramped indeed. When he was on her she was on her last legs and they wouldn't take her to sea for more than 3 days at a time and always kept her near the surface. She was scheduled to be scrapped but instead was sold to Brazil - where she served for a few more years before eventually being broken up. Not quite as unpleasant as the U-boats, but not too far behind.

I believe he also served on the Cavalla (SS-244) - a very famous boat during WW II that now resides at Seawolf Park near Galveston.

Ken
That was interesting to hear about LordBalfor.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History