Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 PM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times

Advertisements

I didnt know that a house in New Orleans was being gifted to Napoleon, can you imagine what it might have been like if he had taken up the offer.

Wikimedia Commons // Public Domain
Nicholas Girod, the fifth mayor of New Orleans, was a Frenchmen and avid supporter of Napoleon. Following the abdication at Waterloo, Girod helped members of Napoleon’s Imperial Guard escape to the New World. But he also had plans for the emperor himself to move to NOLA. In 1821, Girod, who had retired from the mayoral office, began renovating a home on the corner of Chartres and St. Louis Streets, which he claimed would be Napoleon’s residence after an intended escape expedition by Dominique You (also called Dominique Youx). When Napoleon died later that same year, Girod moved his own family into the building, but even today it is still known as Napoleon House.

15 Epic Facts About Napoleon Bonaparte | Mental Floss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
It wouldn't have meant anything at all. He would have spent his last years in exile in this house instead of an island.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,924,670 times
A few conspiracy theories out there said he did escape St. Helena to New Orleans. One movie I saw years ago presented that scenario. Nonsense of course....
What might have been? England would never had let him survive as a free man (as he didn't survive capture for long).

Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,036 times
We need more lists like this. I'm always amazed by the effectiveness of British propaganda during the Napoleonic Wars. It practically dominates the mainstream perception of Napoleon. Thanks to these stubborn myths, it is incredibly difficult to separate the historical Napoleon from the Napoleon of propaganda cartoons.

The finest example is Napoleon's height. No matter how many times academics debunk the myth that Napoleon was short, it will not go away.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
We need more lists like this. I'm always amazed by the effectiveness of British propaganda during the Napoleonic Wars. It practically dominates the mainstream perception of Napoleon. Thanks to these stubborn myths, it is incredibly difficult to separate the historical Napoleon from the Napoleon of propaganda cartoons.

The finest example is Napoleon's height. No matter how many times academics debunk the myth that Napoleon was short, it will not go away.
You have to be very careful to read an account of the Napoleonic Wars not written by a Brit, unfortunetly most of it is. I've mentioned it before as the "BSS" trend of British Historians - British Superiority Syndrome - anything written about the world in the 17th to 19th century focuses on the British view and it's all "Hail Brittania! The Empire where the sun never sets! Jolly good! Hip Hip Horah".
I've read much of the Napoleonic War, Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon" is probably the best, but he is an Englander as well.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
Did you know the guy who played Odo on Star Trek Deep Space Nine is a Bonaparte?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Auberjonois

Well from the female side. Funny how all the famous bloodlines that exist today are because of the females.

Napoleon had a son, but he died before having sons.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You have to be very careful to read an account of the Napoleonic Wars not written by a Brit, unfortunetly most of it is. I've mentioned it before as the "BSS" trend of British Historians - British Superiority Syndrome - anything written about the world in the 17th to 19th century focuses on the British view and it's all "Hail Brittania! The Empire where the sun never sets! Jolly good! Hip Hip Horah".
I've read much of the Napoleonic War, Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon" is probably the best, but he is an Englander as well.
Although equally we must be wary of French accounts. Much of what we know about Napoleon's exploits comes from the man himself.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Are we supposed to take your ridiculous post seriously? I mean seriously? Was the British Empire a myth then?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are we supposed to take your ridiculous post seriously? I mean seriously? Was the British Empire a myth then?
huh? My post was an opinion on the bias of British Historians commenting on world history between the 17th and 19th centuries. It was an opinion, take it or leave it, agree or disagree. You are a Brit I assume so you disagree. Do so respectfully, we don't tolerate these attitudes in this forum.

But how do you connect that with a conclusion that the British Empire was a myth? I don't follow. Are you confused?

Last edited by Dd714; 03-30-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
huh? My post was an opinion on the bias of British Historians commenting on world history between the 17th and 19th centuries. It was an opinion, take it or leave it, agree or disagree. You are a Brit I assume so you disagree. Do so respectfully, we don't tolerate these attitudes in this forum.

But how do you connect that with a conclusion that the British Empire was a myth? I don't follow. Are you confused?
What is this 'bias' you talk of exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History