Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm on another site that posts pictures of various warships, and recently this picture came up:

The picture shows the JDS (Japan Defense Ship) Haruna entering Pearl Harbor in 2004 to participate in joint exercises with the U.S. Navy. Among the posters on that site, there were some strong reactions to this picture; some said that it's disrespectful or offensive for a Japanese military vessel to enter Pearl Harbor (due, obviously, to what the Imperial Japanese Navy did there back on December 7, 1941), while others said that it's fine for a JMSDF (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force) ship to be there, because Japan is America's ally now.

When you see a picture like this, what is your gut reaction?

My reaction?

Nice looking boat. Good to use as a screening vessel for one of our Carrier Groups. ASW helicopters can launch and recover aft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Post WW2 Japan is a valued ally and friend. I don't see a problem at all with JMSDF ships visiting Pearl Harbor at all.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
zero problems with this
No pun intended?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

When you see a picture like this, what is your gut reaction?

Makes me think of the time the battleship Missouri visited Tokyo Bay in 1945.

I don't have a problem with an ally's ship visiting us. Japan today is not ruled by the same people as in 1941.

That's how I feel about British warships, when we used to be bitter enemies and they burned Washington DC to the ground.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
By 1960, personnel of the newly-reconstituted Luftwaffe were training at of bases in the United Kingdom. That was a lot closer in time to the events of World War II - which included the Luftwaffe raining ruin on British cities, to the tune of tens of thousands of civilians dead. Undoubtedly, some of those training personnel were involved in the then-recent war. Conversely, no Japanese sailors in the 21st century had anything whatsoever to do with the Pacific War.

If our British friends could suck it up and recognize the merits and necessities of a military alliance under those circumstances, surely we Americans can as well under these circumstances.

On a more technical note, allies train together for very good reasons. Conflict never goes as planned, but training, training, and training some more correlates with better performance when the balloon goes up. And training is all the more critical when differences in nationality, culture, language, and just systems in general inhibit cooperation.

Finally, consider the potential messages being sent. Suppose a Japanese warship never sailed into Pearl Harbor. Think China and North Korea wouldn't notice? It's a safe bet that they most certainly notice Japanese ships training at Pearl. Now imagine the signal that sends, one of a close alliance free of recriminations of the past.

Thus, it's clear that such visits not only work to advance the effectiveness of coalition warfare should things ever go hot in the western Pacific, such shows of unity also decrease the chances of that happening.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
wonder how the japanese feel as american jets enter their airspace.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 PM

318 posts, read 466,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
So basically the only "outrage" is the outrage that someone would have a negative reaction to this...
Same old attempt to provoke evil thoughts with this pic...

The original poster must be feeling them.

Living in the past is not the way to live your life.

You have to forgive and accept and forget to move on, folks. Japan is an ally now. Germany is too. And slavery was abolished over 100 years ago... Just saying...

Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
What's there to really feel about? Yeah, a couple of people died, but you won the war. You firebombed and nuked the Japanese cities into oblivion, killing hundreds of thousands of women and children. And now they are your allies.

I could understand a kind of discomfort among Hungarians if Russian tanks would roll into Budapest or something.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I dont have a problem with Japanese warships being in Pearl Harbor.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I don't care but next time maybe you could mention the site so we can go look at the ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History